Wanted TC Contender

scoober78

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hey all...Interested in finding a TC Contender as a multi-purpose carbine and hunting pistol. My oldest daughter has proved her mettle with the .22 and .410 and it's time to get her ready for bigger calibers. Seems like a Contender might be good...plus I miss handgun hunting. Two birds...
Anywho, if anyone has one taking up space in the safe, let me know.
Would definitely be interested in multiple barrels stocks etc...
Cash or potential trades.

You may want to look into the T/C Encore, it's a stronger frame. It also has a lot more choices for barrels, both factory and custom choices by E. Arthur Brown and other manufacturers.

I have one and love it. But not giving it up soon.

You may want to look into the T/C Encore, it's a stronger frame. It also has a lot more choices for barrels, both factory and custom choices by E. Arthur Brown and other manufacturers.

I have one and love it. But not giving it up soon.
Would definitely consider an Encore, but honestly, the upper end of Contender range (.30-30 etc...) is about all I'm asking out of this one.

If you've got an Encore in that safe, let's chat though!

I don’t have one to spare, but a G2Contender frame is plenty strong for all but the high pressure loads and cartridges too big for the contender. My 375 can safely take all you have the nerve to want to chase with a pistol.
The contender platform is so much handier, and lighter than an encore platform, especially in a pistol configuration. Full pass thru on Zebra, Kudu etc.
57F9363C-DF3C-4193-9D43-7E8AAC6B4790.jpeg

Would definitely consider an Encore, but honestly, the upper end of Contender range (.30-30 etc...) is about all I'm asking out of this one.

If you've got an Encore in that safe, let's chat though!
I have one in the safe, it's not to for sale. I do see a few on Gunbroker. And in a normal time E Arthur Brown sells frames and barrels. Unfortunately frames appear to be in short supply.
FB_IMG_1645252921772.jpg

I have a 7-30 Waters, .375 Win, and 45-70 barrels I would sell.
I would also trade any of those for a .22 Hornet or .223 Rem barrel.

Scooter, as an FYI, if you can find a G2 contender frame, it is definitely worth a lot more than an older flat sided version. The two little horns on the sides, add lots of strength. That to me is a definite plus, with my African pistol in 378GNR. The flat sides ( some had the engraved cougar, some plain) were manufactured at various times and batches, and barrels often need to be custom fit. All 5 of my G2’s are interchangeable with all my barrels.
Trigger reset is a plus with the G2 as well. If you lower the hammer without firing, all you need to do is hammer back and fire. On an old model (Gen 1) flat sides, you must break open the gun each time to reset the trigger. Thats not a deal breaker, but this being said, i prefer the Gen 2.
If you can acquire a built gun you will be money ahead of buying just components, as finding all you need may create another problem. Just a few things I’ve considered over many years of TC use

Scooter, as an FYI, if you can find a G2 contender frame, it is definitely worth a lot more than an older flat sided version. The two little horns on the sides, add lots of strength. That to me is a definite plus, with my African pistol in 378GNR. The flat sides ( some had the engraved cougar, some plain) were manufactured at various times and batches, and barrels often need to be custom fit. All 5 of my G2’s are interchangeable with all my barrels.
Bearskinner, I am going to have to disagree with with your comment about older flat sided version. I own two TCs in 375 JDJ that was customized by SSK in 1986. The week I got them, I put over 300 rounds through one gun alone and probably shot over 2000 rounds of 375 JDJ in each gun without issue. I have broken two Leopold scopes, which Leopold fixed at no charge. I also have no problem changing barrels. Maybe TC made a few bad batches in 90's The only issue I have is slight pitting on the barrel, which to me is like a battle scare. My other go to caliber is 270 JDJ. But these can be hard to find and the case is fire-formed 444 marlin and is known to split after being shot. Here is picture my first love with a few decorations next to it.

@scoober78- You might checkout your nearest gun show. The last three I went in Nov/Dec 2021 I saw several TC's. Which everyone frame you decided, I think a TC is the way to go over a revolver. No knocking a revolver, my 454 is backup tucked under in my shoulder holster when I hunt with my TC. I have hunted with several revolvers. But I always go back to my first love.
Handcannon.jpg

Over the years I’ve had 3 of the older frames two cougars and one armor alloy. My barrels were definitely NOT interchangeable between the 3. One worked flawlessly though. Most were very good, but ( I don’t know what years) some of the batches were just a little different. All my G2frames sppear to be the same, and are interchangeable with my barrels.

I have had a couple dozen barrels for my original Contender with the cougar on the side and all worked without a problem. The barrels ranged from a 22 Hornet up to a 45-70.

I now only have 3 barrels, a 44 mag, 357 Herrett, and a 7-30 Waters.

On the hammer once it has been released and needing to open the action, once you get used to it you will see that there is no problem. At least I don't. My biggest problem is not moving the hammer block before I pull the trigger when I am concentrating on a animal. But after 40 or so years I'm getting used to it.

Both my TC have a Bison one side and a bald eagle on the other. The serial numbers are not TC but start with HHI "Handgun Hunters International" and came from SSK.

In 1989 Larry Kelly and J. D. Jones put a book called Hunting for Handgunners. This would a good read anyone, especially someone just getting into handgun hunting

That is a very good book. I have a couple signed copies from both of the grand old gentlemen. I should pull one down from the shelf in the library and read thru it again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.10.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.10.15 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.10.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.10.18 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.10.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.10.21 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.10.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.10.24 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
JD is one hell of a guy. When I switched to handgun hunting, he helped line up several outfitters that were "friendly" to hand gunners. Since was I such a young age some were hesitate to take me hunting.
There is one section in HFHG where Larry was backed into a shack by a brown bear and unloaded with his 44 mag. I switch to 454 casual after I read this. I wonder if a casual would made a difference.

While I've never been that keen on single shots, I agree that the Contenders are tempting. I seem to recall reading that around May last year, S&W announced they were trying to divest Thompson/Center and were looking for a buyer. I haven't heard of any company making an offer and I gather its hard to find new T/C s or parts. Be a massive pity if such a great line of guns disappears from production forever.

I almost cried when I read that S&W had purchased Thompson Center Arms. T/C's support was second to none along with a lot of their products.

It would be nice to see someone pick up the T/C product and make it great again.

I have two of the older frames and one G2. I have the G2 set up as a 30/30 carbine with a threaded muzzle. Works great with a suppressor. The two older frames are set up as pistols. I've had one of the frames since 1985 or so, and it and the G2 have worked with every barrel I've ever tried. The newer "old style" frame I bought a couple years ago is in almost new condition, but none of my current barrels will fit it. They just barely lock up on the frame when it's closed, and sometimes won't allow the hammer to fully drop. I assume I could just fit a certain barrel or two to that frame and use them only on that frame, but haven't done so as of yet.
One thing I definitely prefer on the older frames is the trigger. It's miles above the G2 in my book. You can make them perfect with just a few minor adjustments. The G2 has a certain backlash once the gun is fired, that I really don't care for. But as a carbine I can shoot it pretty well. I made it into a pistol once, and didn't like the grip feel at all, so that's why I use the G2 as a carbine and the old frames as pistols.

I have one in the safe, it's not to for sale. I do see a few on Gunbroker. And in a normal time E Arthur Brown sells frames and barrels. Unfortunately frames appear to be in short supply. View attachment 453514
that is actually quite good looking... I wonder if the wood would have been styled a little less organic, but with more classic lines, what it would look like.

I know nothing of T/C arms pistols. How do they open? The barrel tips open, like a kipplauf?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.