Wanted Pre 64 Model 70 In 416 Rigby

bobdahunter84

AH senior member
Reaction score
Looking for a custom pre 64 Model 70 in 416 Rigby. I'd consider a 416 Remington if the price is right, but really interested in the Rigby.

I'm not sure one was ever built on a pre-64 action? If I recall correctly, Griffin and Howe refused to perform that conversion as there wasn't enough length in the pre-64 M70 actions to accommodate the 416 Rigby cartridge overall length? If anybody knows otherwise, I'd be interested to see an example of one!

Will be very hard to find, especially in the Rigby caliber. Good luck.

I'm not sure one was ever built on a pre-64 action? If I recall correctly, Griffin and Howe refused to perform that conversion as there wasn't enough length in the pre-64 M70 actions to accommodate the 416 Rigby cartridge overall length? If anybody knows otherwise, I'd be interested to see an example of one!
I too want to see it.

Here is an example of one that sold in the past:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.26.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.26.22 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.26.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.26.27 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.26.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.26.28 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
I personally would not want a .416 on that action.

Looking for a custom pre 64 Model 70 in 416 Rigby. I'd consider a 416 Remington if the price is right, but really interested in the Rigby.

Sounds like a terrible idea. The model 70 "magnum" action (not really a magnum) tops out at calibers like 300HH, 375HH, 458WM, etc.

So you can certainly put a 416 Rem into that action as a custom rifle, not sure how much feed work and bolt face work that would require.

But a 416 Rigby? It would be a ton of work to get that to fit. Thousands of work trying to shove 10lbs into a 5lb sack.

Pick a different action or prepare for a wall hanger that fails to feed, fire, and extract properly.

With the right Smith and enough talent, anything is possible. I've read of welding two Mauser actions together to splice and lengthen the whole setup. The two main issues with a 416 Rigby Model 70 are the .590 bolt face being too wide to easily handle on the M70 and the cartridge overall length. Clearly I was mistaken and it has been done before. Would love to see details on the one listed above, it looks like extra material was removed from the back of the action to lengthen the cartridge chamber.

I have both a 416 Hoffman and 375 H&H built on pre-64 express actions. The 416 Hoffman is almost identical to the Remington cartridge and matches overall length. They work great in a model 70 action, but the Rigby does not.

There is no way I’d try to use this action for a 416 Rigby. It’s simply too long and too large. Can it be modified to work? Yes, but why?

The Hoffman and Remington offerings in 416 match Rigby ballistics. I think this caliber is a superb buffalo choice. A pre-64 express action easily accommodates the Hoffman or Remington and since the Hoffman is a wildcat I’d go with 416 Remington.

As has been suggested, look at a Dakota, which may have a large enough action (I don’t know) or better yet, a Rigby rifle itself.

Last edited:
Here is an example of one that sold in the past:

Notice what they wouldn't photograph on that rifle directly, but you can see if you look close.

Top of the action, they notched out the front ring to feed ammo straight down. Back of the action, they notched out the rear ring all the way to the german claw mount. To get the spent brass to extract, they flared the stock on the side of the action.

The hilarious part in my conjecture is that you probably needed those german claw mounts to remove the scope every time you wanted to unload that gun, since a loaded round isn't coming out the side of the action through ejection nor is it coming out the standard bottom metal of a Win 70 either!

Clown shoes gunsmithing.

Pre-64 H&H length actions were factory notched on the rear ring and slightly on the front ring to feed.

Griffin & Howe built one, this was their reply to a request to build another on a pre-64:

"Not sure if we spoke about this but we do not recommend this conversion as too much has to be removed from the locking lug to fit and feed the cartridge.

We had one where the lug was recessing and causing excessive headspace and inconsistent vertical stringing."

Paul Chapman
Vice President
Director of Gun Smithing
Griffin & Howe

The old adage comes into play "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." Big actions were probably scarce and ridiculously expensive when that rifle was built. There was a lot of skill in building that rifle. It is interesting at least to have a look at.

I believe standard action Mausers run into the same length issue. Yet Harry Selby's was exactly that, built on a standard length Mauser. Probably get away with it in the Rigby due to the low pressure limits in the old cartridge. With modern 60k + pressure loads it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonteDacey

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.