Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member SCI, Benefactor NRA, NMLRA.
Hunted
RSA, Namibia
I am trying to find a magazine spring for a model 70 Winchester Classic Super Express in .375 H&H serial number G161***. The original factory spring has been discontinued and I haven't had any luck finding old stock. I do not know if there is a spring from a different series/aftermarket that will work? I have attached a photo of the broken spring sent to me by the owner, a friend in Namibia. Any advice would be appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG-20210529-WA0000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to find a magazine spring for a model 70 Winchester Classic Super Express in .375 H&H serial number G161***. The original factory spring has been discontinued and I haven't had any luck finding old stock. I do not know if there is a spring from a different series/aftermarket that will work? I have attached a photo of the broken spring sent to me by the owner, a friend in Namibia. Any advice would be appreciated.
Try Justin Hale at pre64win.com. If he doesn’t have one he can likely tell you where to get one. Really a nice guy.

I might have one.
Will check in the morning and let you know

Try Justin Hale at pre64win.com. If he doesn’t have one he can likely tell you where to get one. Really a nice guy.
Thank you, I will shoot them an email and see what happens.

Last edited:
I might have one.
Will check in the morning and let you know
Rudi I really appreciate you going to the trouble to look! Just let me know and we can work something out.

I replaced that exact style magnum spring with the “P” shaped bend in my 300wm. I couldn’t fit 3 rounds in the magazine and still close the bolt. I used the standard bend spring and haven’t had any issues since. You could always give the common shaped spring a try.

It’s odd, because my 30-06 and 375 both came with the standard shaped springs but the 300wm had the magnum style.

Maybe someone knows why Winchester gave some magnums that odd shaped spring?

Try Midwest Gun Works. They have quite a large inventory of Winchester parts.

midwestgunworks.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 8.55.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 8.55.51 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 8.55.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 8.55.52 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
Call Kevin Wyatt, Wyatts Outdoor. He’ll get you one that works. The Winchester one is pretty soft.

I replaced that exact style magnum spring with the “P” shaped bend in my 300wm. I couldn’t fit 3 rounds in the magazine and still close the bolt. I used the standard bend spring and haven’t had any issues since. You could always give the common shaped spring a try.

It’s odd, because my 30-06 and 375 both came with the standard shaped springs but the 300wm had the magnum style.

Maybe someone knows why Winchester gave some magnums that odd shaped spring?
That may be the route to go. Thanks!

I used a Remington LA spring in my Winchester 458 works perfect just had to narrow it up where it slid in the bottom metal and follower.

IMG_4451.jpg

Not quite the same.
Came out of my Winchester M70 338 Win Mag

I would like to thank all of the members that responded to this thread. I am going to pick up one of the newer style Winchester springs and give it a try.

@Dirtdart, I just saw this post. I'll check tonight, but I may have one of those springs with the "P" bend in my drawer at home. I will let you know.

@Dirtdart, I just saw this post. I'll check tonight, but I may have one of those springs with the "P" bend in my drawer at home. I will let you know.
If you find one and wish to sell it just let me know. Thanks!

@Dirtdart, here is what I have. IIRC, I pulled this from an action I used for a custom build. If your friend can use it,
spring.jpg
it, is is free, and I will pay shipping. Happy to pay it forward. PM me with details if you would like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg