WANTED: Looking For A Hunt In New Zealand

Folks, please keep in mind that a trip to some of these areas in Summer will see the rivers in these valleys flowing quite hard and fast.

The daylight Sun on the Glaziers at the heads of most of these rivers creates melt/run off which increases flows.

The Murchison in particular becomes half a dozen or more individual "braids" of the one river which must be crossed. I was very nearly swept away myself in the Murchison.

Certainly not trying to talk anyone out of a hunt such as this, just highlighting the need for proper planning and preparation.

One year MANY Moons ago myself and two other companions left the Ball Hut Road just below the Hermatige, dropped down the sheer face of screed of the Glacial Morain, crossed the Moonscape like surface of jumbled rocks of the Morain itself, climber of the near vertical screed face on the opposite face then walked several kilometers up the grassland River flats before crossing several braids of the Murchison, (where i was nearly swept away). Once on the other side we spent two weeks walking, exploring and hunting all the way up to the base of the Liebig Glazier. We were successful on several Tahr and Chamois, saw Chukar partridge, hunted Hares on the river flats, killed Canadian flappers for dinner and generally had the time of our lives. One of my most memorable hunts ever.
I was as fit and skinny as a grey-hound when we got back to "civilization".
One big gulp of the first beer saw me hit the floor like a sack of hammers !!!

HIGHLY recommend this adventure to anyone prepared to take it seriously enough and plan and prepare properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points Paul, but you don't have to cross the rivers. Hoophorn stream is fine, Hopkins would be fine. Hooker should be ok, but you would need to pick your side first. Spot from the road up the Tasman, stay off the glacier though.

Too true Stug,
but back then we looked at a challenged like it was almost as a dare :A Bonk:

Too true Stug,
but back then we looked at a challenged like it was almost as a dare :A Bonk:
We had a platoon tradition on my second deployment that if someone called out "you won't!" there was basically no option but to do it. Lots of shenanigans happened because of those words

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg