Wanted Ammo Pouch Or Ammo Belt

I would like to try some of the Trader Keith stuff, but what I like about the Murray is that it is smaller. It takes up less space on the belt as the cartridges are closer together. I have a 32" waist, so it matters quite a bit for me. I have not found the Murray to take any real breaking to speak of. Mine go to the range with me every time I shoot those guns, and they are very usable from the start.
I found the same with my Murray. The only thing I did was rub a little (cooled down) ash from a fire in the loops to slick them up a little. It's been perfect ever since.
 
I would like to try some of the Trader Keith stuff, but what I like about the Murray is that it is smaller. It takes up less space on the belt as the cartridges are closer together. I have a 32" waist, so it matters quite a bit for me. I have not found the Murray to take any real breaking to speak of. Mine go to the range with me every time I shoot those guns, and they are very usable from the start.
Well that is not an issue for me as I have a vast amount of real estate around my waist on which to carry ammo. :sneaky: I mean like plenty of room. Ha ha
 
Can you please clarify, you were carrying the ammo carriers in what capacity 6,8 or 10?
They are the 8 round. I think it would be much more comfortable with the 6 round.
 
Don’t miss the chance to look at Trader Keith’s cartridge slides. These are all leather and they feel like they have been used for many seasons right from the start. Supple leather and very well made. Murray products are good but take a long time to break in to feel comfortable. The Trader Keith slides are the best I’ve found. View attachment 494482
And it appears to be the Trader Keith cloth culling belt that I am looking for! Thanks
 
Some good quality Leather Conditioner or dubbin wax applied couple of time might help to soften it up.
 
BTW, are we talking about closed bottom pouches or open? I have both and both work fine. I have been using my open bottom pouches with my 458WM lately, and though it gives Murray conniptions that I do, I don't have a double and wanted to try them out anyway. I understand the rim adds some potential security to them, but for playing on the range, I have had no issues. If they shake out over the next year of training, I would consider using them that way in the field, though the closed bottom also work very well.
 
BTW, are we talking about closed bottom pouches or open? I have both and both work fine. I have been using my open bottom pouches with my 458WM lately, and though it gives Murray conniptions that I do, I don't have a double and wanted to try them out anyway. I understand the rim adds some potential security to them, but for playing on the range, I have had no issues. If they shake out over the next year of training, I would consider using them that way in the field, though the closed bottom also work very well.
The full length closed cartridge loops would give (potentially) more grip for having additional surface area contact with the cartridge. But that's a double edged sword because more grip means it will require more force to remove the cartridge. The only other practical reason for full length closed cartridge loops would be protection of the bullet tip. Which is important, at least IMO. Potential downside...having a smaller cartridge that you think might fit into the loops, slip into one and then having to fish it out. So don't do that...ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

The open cartridge loop has the advantage of not gathering dirt, sand or any other debris that would normally collect in the bottom of a closed loop. Of course at the cost of the previously mentioned less surface area contact on the cartridge. Another advantage is being lighter for using less material. Yes a cartridge could possibly fall through if it were not rimmed, but knowing the condition your equipment is the responsibility of every hunter. Be responsible and that should not happen.

IMO - It's personal preference. Whatever you decide to use, practice with it like your life depends on it...because it might. My preference is the closed bottom.
 
I am lucky enough to have had this one custom made for me, It was cut and stitched by hand with proper clasps and easy access to the pouch. The pouch is just big enough for n hand held GPS, a pocket knife, some toilet paper and a box of matches. The Leather loops have formed to the 458 lott bullets perfectly and they are also easy to get to if needed.

ammo belt.jpeg


Probably not the best photo but it'll give you the idea!

Kind regards.
Aj Fourie.
 
I am lucky enough to have had this one custom made for me, It was cut and stitched by hand with proper clasps and easy access to the pouch. The pouch is just big enough for n hand held GPS, a pocket knife, some toilet paper and a box of matches. The Leather loops have formed to the 458 lott bullets perfectly and they are also easy to get to if needed.

View attachment 494629

Probably not the best photo but it'll give you the idea!

Kind regards.
Aj Fourie.
Solids on one side and softs on the other?
 
Solids on one side and softs on the other?
Exactly, With a free floating barnes X hanging around in the back for good measure...
 
My custom 470 slide with 2" belt loops, made local leathersmith.

IMG_2579.jpg
 
BTW I have a heavy duty 2" belt in black that I plan to slide this on...
 
I have slides by several makers for various rifles. I have 2 stock mounted slides (left Hand side), a 10 round slide from Trader Keith for my 404, and other older slides for my 7mm and 30 caliber rifles.

I would say that the one I like most is from Trader Keith.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,351
Messages
1,573,747
Members
169,846
Latest member
caldoravirexon
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top