Want To Sell The Nicest .505 Gibbs In South Africa?

And wh

And when you do, you should man up and put in a genuine offer to Kevin.

There has been a lot of big talk on this thread and often is on others. (Talk of a Searcy double being worth $200,000 just because a Holland & Holland in the same caliber might have that kind of list price comes to mind.)

As has been discussed already, Auction houses take some very high commissions and often add ridiculous fees on top. And there is no guarantee of a high price being achieved. Auctions always carry risk and can certainly be exciting!

This rifle certainly has a good amount of Provenance. And to think it should sell at a level of other such rifles with no story or Provenance if just as ridiculous as to think it should bring a price similar to Corbett's rifle or the like. The rifle in question is certainly valuable, but not to the level of a gun owned by Hemingway or Roosevelt.

Ultimately any object has a value determined by a willing and able buyer and the seller. And that value remains unknown until such a sale is concluded. I do hope several members of this Forum step up and put in offers on the rifle and Kevin recieves a fair price determined by what the market for the gun is the day it sells.
@ActionBob
Sir I never said I can afford it. Only said I will check to be helpful. I dont know where this Man up comes from.
Krish

@ActionBob
Sir I never said I can afford it. Only said I will check to be helpful. I dont know where this Man up comes from.
Krish
Krish I apologize, that was not the most gentlemanly way of making my point. I think you have now posted 5 or 6 times on this thread, quoting prices of $200k, and examples of more than that, I think close to $2m (granted for a collection). Not that there is any limit on posts or that you are not entitled to your opinion.

However from someone who has put in an honest offer, it gets frustrating to see the outrageous numbers being thrown about when they are really not realavent to the object of the discussion. Especially when you say you are not a potential buyer anyway.

@doctari505 Im with many of the others get the rifle to TX then pop it in an auction. Or failing that get it in the Holts auction in the UK I can get to have a shot on it that way and we can see what a 505 does to a small framed Indian chap from the UK with bright trousers :ROFLMAO: . I might even bid on it myself if its in the UK. Look forward to seeing you at the next DSC (when we can have one).

ATB with the move and the sale whatever route you go

PS Land Rovers rule!!!
@norfolk shooter
Small frame Indian chap with 15 pound rifle meets 6,000 pounds of elephant. Indian chap pulls trigger. Both elephant and small framed Indian chap go down. Who ever gets up first t is declared the winner. If'n neither gets up the PH and trackers share the spoils.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob

@norfolk shooter
Small frame Indian chap with 15 pound rifle meets 6,000 pounds of elephant. Indian chap pulls trigger. Both elephant and small framed Indian chap go down. Who ever gets up first t is declared the winner. If'n neither gets up the PH and trackers share the spoils.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob
Well I have shot my 505 and weigh only 128lbs. Did not go down.
@norfolk shooter
Will be alright. Go for it.
Krish (The Indian)

@norfolk shooter
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob
Thats sounds like what might just happen :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Well I have shot my 505 and weigh only 128lbs. Did not go down.
@norfolk shooter
Will be alright. Go for it.
Krish (The Indian)
I tip the scales at 65-66 kg. I would go for it but I'm working at getting something else. The other this is importing to the UK can be a PIA

Too rich for my potential customers. Lol!
That made me laugh pretty hard. But at least you realize the fact that you’d be selling it after a short period!

I don't believe I have received a photo of Toby's kitchen in more than a week now...???? Is it about time?

Just saw this thread.

I'm curious why Doctari decided to leave Africa and move to the US?

And does this signal the end of his writing or perhaps a new beginning? I have a number of his books - my first was the Perfect Shot Mini Edition - I bought it at SCI when I first began hunting Africa. Another hunter in a camp in Zimbabwe asked if he could look at it overnight. I said sure, and when I got up the next day it seemed he had left early for Namibia - with my book! I was particularly chuffed to buy a new one at the next SCI from Kevin himself - told him the story and he was equally chuffed that he could sell more books this way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg