Want To Sell The Nicest .505 Gibbs In South Africa?

Why do you feel the rifle is so much more valuable than this one on gunbroker?
If you haven’t picked up on it, it is owned by one of the real legends in the business. The rifle needs to make it to this country and then be offered in the right auction. It don’t think it would do $200k, but it would cross six figures I am fairly certain.

@doctari505 Texas will be far richer for you joining our merry band. Welcome!

If you haven’t picked up on it, it is owned by one of the real legends in the business. The rifle needs to make it to this country and then be offered in the right auction. It don’t think it would do $200k, but it would cross six figures I am fairly certain.

Yes, I picked up on that. Just very surprised to see it trying to be sold in this way if the rifle and his name really makes it that valuable. Either way, I hope you guys are right and the seller gets the best possible price from it.

The one on GB is a left hander for one thing, that narrows down potential new owners by about 85 percent or so.

Wow exactly. The legend himself....

Whattsapp sent Kevin

I'm trying too, but things are crazy with Covid here in South Africa and I'm told it'll take 'at least' three months to get an export permit for the rifle - already have a USA import permit. I'm anxious to return to TX and this is delaying my plans so looking at different options.
I might be able to speed up the export permit if you really want to take it with. PM me if needed

Hi Kevin, that heavy rifle needs to stay working in Africa, thats its destiny... also a good handle for the Land Rover hi lift jack. Hey take care in your travels, and keep writing, we are waiting..!! GW

Hey Kevin, look I only copied a Zimbabwe idea... I took this picture on a trip in approx 1991 with the late Steve Pope of Chipembere Photo Safaris. He had a rusty body on his old 45 open top Land Cruiser troopy, and I think someone owned him some $$s, so he took an old Landrover body, and bolted it on the Toyota chassis and running gear.. filling the gaps all over the place with pop rivetted ali plate or canvas with studs.. Looked better, aluminium panels, no rust, skinnier on the tracks, and his proved running gear. The chassis rails stuck out the front and back.. Steve in the pic has his Ruger 458 Tropical, he wasnt a hunt guide, but he got tourists close up on big game, and very knowledgeable. Might start a safari 4x4 thread.

20210113_214059.jpg

Last edited:
Knew Steve well. Spent quite a bit of time with him at Chitake - he and my wife Cath were at school together. Wonderful guy and safari guide.

@doctari505 Im with many of the others get the rifle to TX then pop it in an auction. Or failing that get it in the Holts auction in the UK I can get to have a shot on it that way and we can see what a 505 does to a small framed Indian chap from the UK with bright trousers :ROFLMAO: . I might even bid on it myself if its in the UK. Look forward to seeing you at the next DSC (when we can have one).

ATB with the move and the sale whatever route you go

PS Land Rovers rule!!!

The rifle has been delivered to the exported - should be in the USA in 5 to 6 months!
Good decision, I hope it all goes smoothly. As much as it would’ve been great to have kept it here in my safe custody, I think you’ve made the right decision.

I may mistaken, but most collectable firearms do not reach their top collectors value until after the owner is deceased. Of course this means, what are you willing to do to get top dollar?

Just kidding, good luck!

Hmmm, good point Lon! Kevin, you’d better be careful who you sell it to. The wrong buyer may see an opportunity for a quick increase in value!

Good luck with the sale. Someone is going to get a very special rifle.

I am relocating to Texas and have decided to sell my Dumoulin .505 Gibbs. This is the rifle Kilimanjaro Rifles copied for their popular Doctari model. It has a Brevex Magnum Mauser action and a 25.5" barrel. Made by Dumoulin in 1956. I had it restocked Rigby style by a retired Rigby stocktaker, and it has a buffalo horn fore-end tip. I have carried, loved and cherished this rifle for 35 yrs and its is still in wonderful condition. It sells with a treasure trove of reloading components - 125 new Norma cases, 80 1 x used, a selection of bullets, dies the works. The rifle is currently in South Africa but I have a USA import permit for it, just waiting for an SA export permit. Those seriously interested are welcome to PMl me.

View attachment 382115View attachment 382116
is this still for sale. Pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Djbmg50, Your private information was removed from your post for privacy reasons. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system, thank you.

As per our posting guidelines: It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.

@Djbmg50 if you are specifically wanting to buy a probable $100,000 plus value rifle, continue trying to contact the owner. If you are just wanting a .505 Gibbs caliber rifle for much much less, PM me with you name and phone number and I will send photos and explain what I have along with the price.

And wh
Well I will check the auction hu houses for the value of this one and post it as soon as I get it. I WANT DOCTORI TO GET THE BEST PRICE HE CAN GE. He is a living legend.

And when you do, you should man up and put in a genuine offer to Kevin.

There has been a lot of big talk on this thread and often is on others. (Talk of a Searcy double being worth $200,000 just because a Holland & Holland in the same caliber might have that kind of list price comes to mind.)

As has been discussed already, Auction houses take some very high commissions and often add ridiculous fees on top. And there is no guarantee of a high price being achieved. Auctions always carry risk and can certainly be exciting!

This rifle certainly has a good amount of Provenance. And to think it should sell at a level of other such rifles with no story or Provenance if just as ridiculous as to think it should bring a price similar to Corbett's rifle or the like. The rifle in question is certainly valuable, but not to the level of a gun owned by Hemingway or Roosevelt.

Ultimately any object has a value determined by a willing and able buyer and the seller. And that value remains unknown until such a sale is concluded. I do hope several members of this Forum step up and put in offers on the rifle and Kevin recieves a fair price determined by what the market for the gun is the day it sells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieSchref

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,