Walnut stock grading

SStomcat

Silver supporter
AH elite
Joined
May 5, 2016
Messages
1,840
Reaction score
1,991
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Asia/M.East
1
Which grade of walnut is this?
IMG_0223.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
I think @Rare Breed is spot on. It’s a nice middle grade. Using the alphabetical system it’s a Grade A or AA. Hard to tell for sure without seeing the other side and the forearm.
 
@SStomcat - I would say a grade 4 or 5, but probably not higher than that. But like @Rare Breed said, grading is an art. Plus seeing it in person is very different than a few pictures on the internet.

For reference, this is my wife's grade 4 R8.
1781121496490.png

1781121553860.png


And grade 7 on my F3.
1781121659982.png
 
If you go to a place that has a variety of blanks, they should be sorted by grade along with the type of wood. FYI - It gets pricey...quickly.
 
Frankly I wouldn’t so much about the grade as there is a good bit of subjectivity in it. I’d just try to look at a lot of blanks and choose one you like within your budget.
That’s exactly what I have done on two rifles I replaced their stocks and ended up happy
 
If you go to a place that has a variety of blanks, they should be sorted by grade along with the type of wood. FYI - It gets pricey...quickly.
@BeeMaa
Going from XXX to exhibition grade bumps the price up very very quickly.
The piece I got for my lowall was supposed to be XX but ended up with exhibition grade for the same price instead of about 8-10 times the price
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,370
Messages
1,574,389
Members
170,031
Latest member
BartDescot
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top