Wall mount question

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Speedster, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Speedster

Speedster AH Member

I have a question that someone might be able to answer. Going on my first trip to Africa and trying to figure out room for mounts. My dilemma is I have only a 7 foot ceiling where I want my mounts. I have considered a pedestal for larger mounts (gemsbok and kudu for sure and possibly waterbuck). However, I was thinking of possibly mounting them low on the wall and then mounting an "array" of smaller antelope (impala, blesbok, even a wildebeest maybe) higher beside them. Trying to think outside the box and visualize if this would work. Any thoughts?

2. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    The 7 foot ceiling is going to be a challenge. If the horns are touching the ceiling, the bottom of a shoulder mounted kudu, gemsbok or waterbuck will be somewhere about 3 feet off of the floor or even lower. They also stick out from the wall about 3 to 4 feet. If your room is large, the wall with low mounts can end up look cool, but if it's a small room, coupled with low ceilings, it might be time to consider remodeling or moving (both of which puts a serious dent into the hunting budget). I just hung up an eland and it sticks out about 52 inches from the wall.

You have your trophies done as "wall pedestals" and try hanging them on the wall. If you don't like the look, build a few wood pedestals and place some of the trophies on the floor.

3. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I had a similar problem in our home in Virginia where our low-ceiling basement was my "trophy room." I flanked the sofa with a pedestal mounted kudu and oryx. Guidance to the taxidermist was keep the horn tips below 6' 11". They looked very nice and, obviously, work very well in the taller trophy room here in Texas. With the exception of a leopard, everything else was a Euro mount, and they, fortunately, will work almost anywhere.

4. Jaws

Jaws AH Member

Video/Photo:
    On the up side, your trophies will appear larger ;)

My vote would be for the pedestal mounts, I personally prefer those as it seems a bit more "modern" than the rather "traditional" wall mounts and can be shifted around if more trophies will be added in the room later.

5. Ryan

Ryan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    7 foot ceiling is a challenge. Here's an 8-foot ceiling with a wall pedestal kudu and some skull mounts to give you an idea how low things will go. The horn tips are only inches from the ceiling. The bottom of the chest is about 2 1/2 feet from the floor.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

6. Ryan

Ryan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Ok, things are being difficult uploading.... 1541655076700.jpeg

Ridgewalker likes this.

7. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED,SCI
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Thank is pretty solid advice. Floor pedestal mounts is a good option but just make sure the base doesn’t get to high. Many of the store bought generic Taxidermy bases will put you up into the ceiling with a Kudu or another tall horned animal. A recent safari I did had a similar issue so I built shorter bases to combat this problem. 5621710A-1C4C-4850-9875-C5B0DCE33B27.jpeg 32C09104-E1FC-430C-B99F-B423717B1F9C.jpeg

johnnyblues and Ridgewalker like this.

8. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    This is a 7’ ceiling. My opinion now is if you can’t mount a gemsbok with its front leg socks, the neck isn’t that attractive. I’m thinking of having this one reworked to only a face mount as close to the wall as possible. My basement cave is a small space.

84874AD9-CBD7-4C97-BA47-6543AD490760.jpeg

9. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    82393492-A977-4CC5-A0BE-227C12EECB60.jpeg
    My next one will probably be like this. 7DC07C70-B2F1-4F41-AD86-5FA57E500EC5.jpeg
    This is my small space waiting for Cape buffalo (euro), bushbuck, duiker, croc (skull), eland (euro), black wildebeest (face), sable (shoulder), etc to arrive in the spring.

10. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    @Ridgewalker: That's a 7 foot ceiling? It must be higher than that, look at the clearance above the Duke's hat. Maybe the cutout isn't to life-size scale. BTW, good looking room.

Ridgewalker likes this.

11. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Patron-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    IMG_1668.JPG

10 foot ceiling

12. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Euro mounts will help.

Ridgewalker likes this.

13. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    When you are dealing with a low ceiling you just have to get creative.

Here are mine in a room that is still being redone with a 7' ceiling.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018 at 10:34 AM

14. jeff

jeff AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I did a pedestal on a kudu that had a turn and the head was tipped back so it could be higher in the room.

15. buck wild

buck wild BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Brush Country Chapter
    Hunted:
    Limpopo, SA; Mexico; Texas
    Full sneak or semi sneak poses will also help with ceiling clearance

Ridgewalker likes this.

16. Steven Pagel

Steven Pagel New Member

Video/Photo:
    I would ask your taxidermist to get creative. I’m mounting my own Kudu but I purchased a wall pedastal form and then cut the angle in the back even more to keep it from sticking out of the wall so far. I would think they would be able to take a sneak form and turn it into a wall pedestal mount...that way you get the mount higher up and one that doesn’t stick out so far

17. huntinlabs

huntinlabs AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    how tall are those bases?

18. huntinlabs

huntinlabs AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    How do you have your giraffe mounted?

19. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED,SCI
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I want to say both of those bases were around 28-30 inches. Thing is I build them by hand so I modify the sizes depending upon the clients needs. Also, it’s not like these are the only bases I can make. I designed two more yesterday that I will be building for clients in the near future that are completely different. Both bases will be something no one has ever seen before.

Cam Moon likes this.

20. Ryan

Ryan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    About 5 feet of neck on a wide base. Which sort of answers some other questions here about a low base for pedestals. That base is only about a foot tall. 20181110_062601.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    Ridgewalker likes this.