Value Mountain Hunt for 2017

Azerbaijan Tur hunts have been on my radar for years, I would love to do one! From what you see in the videos, the shots can be difficult and weather can be a factor. Looks like a challenging hunt.

For the price Ibex in Kyrgyzstan is your best bet. I did that hunt in 2014 and if you want a tough mountain adventure this is it. I booked with ProfiHunt and also recommend The Hunting Consortium for booking this hunt. I flew Houston-Istanbul-Bishkek and the travel was not bad at all considering I was on the opposite side of the planet.
If you want to stay closer to home mountain goat or Aoudad in Texas is a good choice.
Please PM me if I can give you any more info or answer questions.
Regards,
Philip
Thank you and both those hunts are on my radar but i'd like to go in a few years

If you are an experienced mountain hunter then a Tahr and chamois hunt in NZ can be done for very little. There are no fees for licences/tags etc. I think there is a small fee for a temporary firearms licence but that is it. You do not have to hire a guide. April to June is the best time for skins/capes.

If you are an experienced mountain hunter then a Tahr and chamois hunt in NZ can be done for very little. There are no fees for licences/tags etc. I think there is a small fee for a temporary firearms licence but that is it. You do not have to hire a guide. April to June is the best time for skins/capes.

You can do it yourself in NZ? I did not know that. How does that work with no tags?

The NZ government does not sell or require tags for big game. Just a $25 temp. gun fee at entrance. You will have to pay the landowner a fee for the animals you harvest. I have never tried that, what I saw were fees that were almost the same as a guided hunt, and its nice to have help dragging a stag off the mountain.

@K-man I thought for a minute there was a loop hole in the system. I would gladly load up my pack and wonder around for a few days. But I agree, a nice bed, help spotting and dragging the animal off the mountain has a high upside.

Better be in shape for sure. And practice your " long" range shooting skills. Those mountains are killer.

For the price Ibex in Kyrgyzstan is your best bet. I did that hunt in 2014 and if you want a tough mountain adventure this is it. I booked with ProfiHunt and also recommend The Hunting Consortium for booking this hunt. I flew Houston-Istanbul-Bishkek and the travel was not bad at all considering I was on the opposite side of the planet.
If you want to stay closer to home mountain goat or Aoudad in Texas is a good choice.
Please PM me if I can give you any more info or answer questions.
Regards,
Philip
I agree. A free range aoudad sheep hunt in west Texas is one of the most underrated hunts in North America. It's a phenomenal hunt. I have great memories of my aoudad hunt. Check out south west trophy hunts. Bubba Glosson is a THE man for high end trophies.

Trust me. I just did repairs on my deer stands in the mountains here in Virginia. I have been hiking with my backpack with 40 to 50 lbs just to start to get in shape and doing this 2 times a week or so. Well on this occasion I was packing in steps, straps, tools, safety equipment all total about 100lbs. Let's just say the extra 50 lbs made a difference and I was laying on the mountain going I need to get in better shape. There is only one way to train for mountains....and that is on mountains. I cuse and complain while on them but the moment I am off I miss them and want to head back. That is just the love affair I think all mountain hunters share.

You can do it yourself in NZ? I did not know that. How does that work with no tags?

Yep no tags and if you hunt public land (there is heaps) there is no fee either. You need to get a permit from the Department of Conservation which is free.
Do not expect to get a big red stag like you see in most pics, they are only found on private land behind a fence. But free-range chamois and tahr are there. You might see a red stag but it won't be a big one.
NZ law does not require you to recover all or any of the meat. If you shoot it, you take what you want. If you just want t0 take the cape and skull and leave all the meat behind you can.

I think for a great experience and some awe inspiring terrain it's hard to beat Kyrgyzstan ibex hunting. For the price you get a true mountain hunt for an amazing animal. I booked my hunt through global sporting safaris and I was very happy with the whole experience. The outfitter was top notch! Very clean, well stocked, and warm basecamp. Good food. The guides were hardworking and good. I worked hard focusing on a one of the monarchs of the mountain due to the high abundance of ibex in the hunting area and was rewarded with a 13 year old ibex that measured 49 7/8 inches. There were mature ibex seen everyday with numerous opportunities. I would go back in a heartbeat (if my wife would let me). I, like you was looking for a good mountain hunt that didn't break the bank. The ibex can be brought back as checked luggage and the only export fee is the citis permit. Take a look into global sporting safaris. They were great to work with and were very helpful throughout the whole process.

I think for a great experience and some awe inspiring terrain it's hard to beat Kyrgyzstan ibex hunting. For the price you get a true mountain hunt for an amazing animal. I booked my hunt through global sporting safaris and I was very happy with the whole experience. The outfitter was top notch! Very clean, well stocked, and warm basecamp. Good food. The guides were hardworking and good. I worked hard focusing on a one of the monarchs of the mountain due to the high abundance of ibex in the hunting area and was rewarded with a 13 year old ibex that measured 49 7/8 inches. There were mature ibex seen everyday with numerous opportunities. I would go back in a heartbeat (if my wife would let me). I, like you was looking for a good mountain hunt that didn't break the bank. The ibex can be brought back as checked luggage and the only export fee is the citis permit. Take a look into global sporting safaris. They were great to work with and were very helpful throughout the whole process.
Thank you for the feedback and what an exceptional Ibex you took, that thing is a beast. I narrowed it down to Ibex and am looking at a couple outfitters and figuring out dates. Seems like one of the last great international value hunts out there.
Thank you again,
Marcus

If you are going strictly for ibex I'd say Kyrg is a better destination than Tadjik.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg