AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
On my way to the doc and was wondering exactly what vaccines are required while traveling into Namibia(if any) in late August. Also have a layover in Johhanesburg. So what all is required? Don't want to get quarantined lol.
Thanks all,
DL

Nothing is required. Just make sure you are up on tetanus or just get the shot anyway if it's been a while. This is the beauty of Namibia you don't have much to worry about there!
Hope you have a great trip!
Regards,
Philip

Required, as Philip just responded, only YELLOW FEVER, IF you come through a YF country.

A good travel doc will check out WHO current info and relate the SUGGESTED vaccinations for YOU. Everyone has different health needs.

FYI, for you to start the conversation.

CDC Destination App
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list/
Look up Namibia and throw in a couple of personal factors into the search function.

Traveling with Children
Chronic Disease
Cruise Ship Extended Stay/Study Abroad
Immune-Compromised
Pregnant Women
Mission/Disaster Relief
Visiting Friends or Family

Ditto Brickburn's recommendation on checking what the CDC recommends. My Family Doc. had an app on his phone that pretty much followed the CDC's recommendations. If Hepatitis A & B shots are recommended start early since it is a series of shots over a 6 month period.

Have your doctor prescribe some antibiotics to take along, "just in case."

I'm going to South Africa in May. Even though no vaccines are required, I went ahead and got vaccinated for: Hepatitis A&B ( combination shot called Twinrix), Typhoid(series of pills good for 5 years) tetanus booster and since the clinic I go to has Yellow Fever I went ahead and got it for good measure. It is now good for your lifetime. I am sure I will be heading to a country where it is required in the near future.

Well, there was little required when I went to Johannesburg, but I was almost in a situation where I thought I would need yellow fever vaccine. My original flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg was canceled and I ended up flying through Ghana. I wasn't there long enough to require the vaccine (>12hrs I believe is the requirement) but I sure was nervous getting off that plane in Johannesburg. I'm not one to go out and get a bunch of unnecessary medicine or vaccines. Heck I don't even get a flu vaccine. But, I might think differently next time.

I'm going to Caprivi in a month and I'm doing Malarial prophylactic as well. It's been really wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg