Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
We've just purchased a Pulsar Helion 2 XQ38 (demo) from Euro Optic. This is not a "clip on" that goes at the end of a scope, it's a monocular to be used for scouting. Examples would be locating turkey on the roost in the evening or looking into a field before walking to a deer stand. It could also be used for tracking animals that were shot and are proving hard to recover. The one we purchased does also offer video recording and a rangefinder. Here is a picture...
1674920161057.png

How we actually put it into use will be added to this thread, along with how what we like/dislike about it. If anyone else is using something similar I'd love to hear your take on it. Thermal and night vision capabilities to the point where they are useful for hunting has come a long way in the last 20 years. And that brings me to my last point...

Ethics - I was speaking with another AH member about the ethics of using a thermal (or night vision) for hunting. Some are all for it, others not so much. I suppose everybody is different in how they feel about (insert whatever technology advancement here) making hunting easier or more/less ethical. I'm interested in what the membership thinks about using thremal/NV for hunting...and not just hunting Africa. Hogs, cull deer hunts for management, night hunts for cats...anything.

I believe @gizmo has some experience with thermal optics and they are using them at his Rockin G Ranch.

I got one of the mid tier ATN units to try and help curb a hog problem on a friend's farm. I've been disappointed with the range and clarity of it from more than 100 yards out, but inside 100 and when using a pop-up blind it's been a great asset.

I also put it on QD rings to be able to use it as a handheld monocular, or put daytime regular scope on when I want to.

There's a few states with laws against using thermals or night vision to in any way aid in hunting activities, so know the rules before putting to use.

I am using a Pulsar Thermion (the first version of it) since it's legal to do so.

But the only usage is for hunting wild boars because of the damage in the fields... nothing else...

It's working great for shots up to 200 metres, so I truly can recommend it for this kind of usage. Calibres up to 9,3mm are not a problem at all.

I saw sale pricing on Eurooptic that was very good for this level of optic. I don't want one, but wanna look thru it once. I used one... a primitive forerunner 52 years ago, for night ops. It was quite useful for spotting hot gun barrels. Perhaps this new one could be installed on a powerful drone, equipped with an Airbow for silent killing, and a retrieval hook for bringing a trophy back to the 3 bedroom, 2 bath with the computer room? The irresistible march of technology. (even now, deer and hogs are meeting to come up with counter tech) Sorry, just Devil's Advocate. Thanks for posting, enjoy the new equipment, and I appreciate your consideration of the ethical side of this.......FWB

I saw sale pricing on Eurooptic that was very good for this level of optic. I don't want one, but wanna look thru it once. I used one... a primitive forerunner 52 years ago, for night ops. It was quite useful for spotting hot gun barrels. Perhaps this new one could be installed on a powerful drone, equipped with an Airbow for silent killing, and a retrieval hook for bringing a trophy back to the 3 bedroom, 2 bath with the computer room? The irresistible march of technology. (even now, deer and hogs are meeting to come up with counter tech) Sorry, just Devil's Advocate. Thanks for posting, enjoy the new equipment, and I appreciate your consideration of the ethical side of this.......FWB

Well, you are right with your statement.

I personally think it's the same issue with any kind of technical inventions - it depends on the person using it.
Starting with: Rifles are tools, they usually don't kill on their own will. They are used by somebody to do so...
So thermal imaging is making things easier - in both ways.
You can either use it for not disturbing any game while carefully stalking and definitely knowing what you are shooting at (including not to shoot if you shouldn't), or you can search for any kind of whatever to "slay it like a viking"... I prefer option number 1.

I have an ATN mounted on an AR upper for night coyotes in Maine. The first night I actually used it I was disappointed with the clarity of the image until I used a flashlight to leave the blind..... It was snowing so hard it looked like a wall of white. Subsequent hunts proved it's worth many times over. Maine has a night hunt season for coyotes so I don't have any ethical issues with that.
As with any technology, it can be used or abused, it's up to the operator.

My PH used a similar device to spot a hippo for PAC night hunting.

Actual shooting was done with a spotlight, and my scope had a red dot.

Used Both:
35 mm lite and very comfortably to carry ,50 mm nothing better ,heavy . Main point to find wounded or dead animal ,must be minimum magnification such 2x , 3x max. Next point- never look with eye using to shoot , after thermo this eye will be blind for while...
In Africa it works well in the morning , in the evening all rocks are ,,alive".

Used handheld thermals extensively in Ireland when sika hunting… they worked great for locating stags looming on the edge of the wood line before sun up…

I’ve been seriously thinking about getting one for use at home now… would be excellent for hogs… I’m using night vision at the moment which is ok.. but thermal would be an improvement

We use them to shoot hogs and coyotes at night, which is legal in our state. Be very careful to check your regs before using one to locate turkey on the roost, night scouting for deer, etc.. Ethics aside, that would definitely be illegal in our neck of the woods.

A friend of mine here in NZ uses thermal scopes on his pest destruction rifles for rabbit, hare, goat, pig, etc and for the rabbit in particular which is the most prolific of the pest animals, he reported that his talleys went up considerably to the point that he reckons the thermal scopes are a necessity for his work. Another hunter/butcher is using them for pig clearance and also says they are indispensible for what he does. They are not hunting, they are working at pest destruction/clearance but I also know hunters who use tham with success. They are another tool in the technology advance that has seen spotting scopes to see and judge from a great distance, distress or mating calls to lure animals in, advanced scopes, rifles and ammo for kills where once there would have not been a shot taken, scent blockers for stalking in, or luring them to you. All technology aids in some way so where the line is drawn must be answered by the individual hunter according to the purpose of his or her hunt in the field.

Check out Fusion Thermal. Next level tech, menu’s are way easier than any other unit I’ve tried, resolution is tops……all for what most would call “mid price point”. Went through a long demo and training session at shot show last week, can’t wait for my units to show up.

as far as ethics,..in the US, can’t kill enough pigs and coyotes.

Had a flir one for checking to see if could see any people who not supposed to be there....but as usual it disappeared......was good but probably old compared to new ones
The ones you were trying to spot are probably the ones who “walked away” with it. ;) Wouldn’t that be ironic.

You should look into some of the newer tech stuff that’s available now. Prices have come down in recent years as it’s becoming more available.

I borrowed a friends thermal spotter last couple of years when I'm working in SA, fantastic for multiple uses, as @spike.t for checking around the camp/house, gate ways on returning home & if we are on Rhino patrol, sitting for Bushpig in crops & all the Night Critters .

When doing culling work in NZ great to spot every thing & use with either a Thermal scope (if you can afford one) or much cheaper night vision scope.

Not sure I think it is pure hunting, but we already use Cars, Planes & Helicopters to get to hunting areas, range finding scopes & wind meters, in conjunction with extremely powerful firearms ?

I had this discussion with a older bloke I know he was crazy against thermals as major cheating & not hunting.

Well he has a great Dog & been using dogs as a hunting aid all his life, I said well you have been cheating all your hunting life, you use a incredible machine in the form of your hunting Dog, super animal smelling, hearing, great vision (unlike us Old people) combined with super stamina.

When you use a PH or Guide pretty much the same, he uses great trackers & dogs some times also to help you as the Hunter ?

Depends where you feel comfortable, disregard what others may think on Your hunting, if its legal.

I forgot another couple of major things used in NZ Bloody Drones & Trail Cameras, Hell I had to wait to see things come & go & climb if I wanted to see things over there.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread with many directions it could go in to.

On the ethics part, in my opinion it would depend on what it gets used for and how. I understand the culling aspect, and the retrieving of animals. These devices could also be handy to help orientate a hunter as to which way the animal is facing or where they are coming from if you are hunting at night over a bait, bushpig being an excellent example. At the end of the day, everyone has their own morals and beliefs when it comes down to ethics and it will boil down to the hunter using it and what he decides to do with it.

Kind Regards.
Aj Fourie.

When I use night vision I’m killing and not hunting. At least that’s my mindset. As far as carrying it out on turkeys or deer around where I live I would not do it. Even if there’s nothing prohibiting it I think it would make a warden’s brain melt that I have thermal and my deer rifle and don’t intend to take that monster if he appears in it before legal shooting hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg