Useless (full) Trivia?

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
If you turn your binoculars upside down, they are now a magnifying glass. Works well. That's it.

Now how many went and grabbed their binoculars to try this?

Okay optical genius, how come when you look through a scope back to front you see everything right side up including the reticle, but if you look through the scope front to back everything is still right side up except now the reticle is upside down.

Okay optical genius, how come when you look through a scope back to front you see everything right side up including the reticle, but if you look through the scope front to back everything is still right side up except now the reticle is upside down.
I hope it isnt on the rifle at the time or you could see your butt....

This happens so that beginner rifle users know they are not holding the rifle the correct way. It is also useful for suicide attempts I hear....

If you turn your binoculars upside down, they are now a magnifying glass. Works well. That's it.
You know you need glasses when you have to do this to read a landowners map while scouting for a goose shoot. (happened to a friend...)

Ray B,
I wouldn’t know about this procedure because I’ve never been inebriated enough to try it. Sounds like an old Chinese optical illusion trick. Get rid of your Tascos and buy some Leupolds! Ha! Ha!
CEH

I guess Zeiss and Schmidt & Bender are cheap Chinese scopes. I was unable to take some photographs to show the reticles as viewed rom the front, but in both cases the reticle is upside down when viewed from the front. the models of scopes are Zeiss Diatal C, 1,5x; Schmidt & Bender Klassik 6x42mm.

I guess Zeiss and Schmidt & Bender are cheap Chinese scopes. I was unable to take some photographs to show the reticles as viewed rom the front, but in both cases the reticle is upside down when viewed from the front. the models of scopes are Zeiss Diatal C, 1,5x; Schmidt & Bender Klassik 6x42mm.
That's interesting? Kind of a reverse mirror image?

Hard to tell if you have a plex reticle

On other scopes that have reticles that are four corners similar it wouldn't show. but with reticles such as post or the types where the thick posts are from the sides and bottom and not from the top.

Off this topic here, but it’s not like anything much else is going on, this is the most expensive scope I’ve ever owned. I think it’s an older SB, but it’s real clear and has three solid posts. It came on a used rifle I bought recently. You can see the front sight past the bottom post. Oh yeah, the reticle is upside down when looking through the objective lens.

F71AD833-EE27-41D4-B448-DF9AF393F9BD.jpeg
B04C0E53-9E26-46DB-9CF6-5959A65B5991.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the S&B. Difficult to see the second reticle, but what is the bottom post can be seen at the top. both photos are of the scope in the upright position, just looking through the front or back.

DSC_1380.JPG
DSC_1382 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the S&B. Difficult to see the second reticle, but what is the bottom post can be seen at the top. both photos are of the scope in the upright position, just looking through the front or back.
Yours has a circle where the posts meet. You must have paid extra for that? Ha! Ha!

@CoElkHunter
If'n you look thru the wrong end you can also tell your mates the animal you shot was 500 yards away when in reality it was only 5 yards.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob.

@Ray B
What happens If'n it's a duplex reticle. How can you tell that one is upside down.
Bob

On other scopes that have reticles that are four corners similar it wouldn't show. but with reticles such as post or the types where the thick posts are from the sides and bottom and not from the top.
@Ray B
Just wondering how you get 4 corners in a round scope. Bit like standing 4 shovels against a wall and telling an Irishman to take his pick.
Just kidding mate I know what you mean just needed a laugh for a change of pace.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
If'n you look thru the wrong end you can also tell your mates the animal you shot was 500 yards away when in reality it was only 5 yards.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob.
Bob,
If you look through the objective lens of a telescope and point it towards the sky, you may be able to see Uranus?
CEH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg