USA: Texas Nilgai Hunt With King Ranch

Interesting hunt and thanks for sharing.
Only seen a Nilgai in the zoo before and on TV.
You’re welcome! They are very interesting animals, I was amazed by all the info I learned from our guide about them.

Thank you for taking the time to write about it! Nice Bulls!

You will love the meat, it has a very clean flavor is the best way I know how to describe it. Even our deer in South Texas have less game tease compared to what I'm used to in South Alabama. Their deit here has everything to do with their flavor.

Congratulations again!
You’re welcome, thank you for the support! I’m really excited to taste it, I am going to try to grill up a couple of the steaks tonight. You are definitely right on the diet, our deer up here can be pretty gamey depending on the area.

Congratulations on a successful hunt, Nilgai are on my bucket list to get after. Thank you for sharing your adventure. Happy you were able to catch a break and have a nice experience.

That looked like a very good scimitar horn oryx there also. The southern part of the King Ranch now has an established free range herd of waterbuck and lechwe also. Escapees from a nearby large, high fenced place.

I live 60 miles from this area and despite "media reports" I'd be in more danger in downtown Houston than hunting in South Texas!!

That looked like a very good scimitar horn oryx there also. The southern part of the King Ranch now has an established free range herd of waterbuck and lechwe also. Escapees from a nearby large, high fenced place.

I live 60 miles from this area and despite "media reports" I'd be in more danger in downtown Houston than hunting in South Texas!!

Agree, like anything else situational awareness is key no matter where you are at.

Nicely done! Nilgai along with Aoudad and Axis deer are high on my “want list”.

Congratulations on a successful hunt, Nilgai are on my bucket list to get after. Thank you for sharing your adventure. Happy you were able to catch a break and have a nice experience.
Thank you! It was an awesome experience, I plan on going back as soon as possible! I’m glad too, they definitely made us earn the trophy, which is exactly what I had hoped for!

Congratulations, and sounds like an awesome experience! Although i grew up in Central Texas, Nilgai hunting in South Texas is something that has only recently gotten on my radar. I don't know when I'll ever get to Africa, so it sounds like a nice interim substitute for now. Glad to hear it can be such an adventure!

Nicely done! Nilgai along with Aoudad and Axis deer are high on my “want list”.
Come on to Texas, axis and aoudad are in the Hillcounrty and nilgai near Raymondville or kingsville

Congratulations, and sounds like an awesome experience! Although i grew up in Central Texas, Nilgai hunting in South Texas is something that has only recently gotten on my radar. I don't know when I'll ever get to Africa, so it sounds like a nice interim substitute for now. Glad to hear it can be such an adventure!
Same here, I hope to get to Africa one day, but this was a fantastic opportunity in the mean time. I am definitely hooked.

That’s awesome man! Congratulations. Nilgai is next on my list…. I’ve passed on a few before, as they just weren’t the one I was looking for. My wife is from that area….I can’t wait to go down there again.

That’s awesome man! Congratulations. Nilgai is next on my list…. I’ve passed on a few before, as they just weren’t the one I was looking for. My wife is from that area….I can’t wait to go down there again.
Thank you!!! That is fantastic! I sure wish I lived closer, they would be getting even more business from me . I want to say Aoudad is next on the list, but it will be hard not to go back for Nilgai!!

I just cooked up a couple of the steaks, rare. Oh my goodness, I see what everyone is talking about. Zero gamey-ness! It cuts, chews, and tastes just like beef!

Congratulations! Thank you for posting your successful hunt report, a very enjoyable story. Your report really stirred my interest in hunting nilgai in the future.
I've been on the Norias property once for a birdwatching tour and really enjoyed it. Great looking habitat, and we did see a number of Nilgai as well.

Congratulations! Thank you for posting your successful hunt report, a very enjoyable story. Your report really stirred my interest in hunting nilgai in the future.
I've been on the Norias property once for a birdwatching tour and really enjoyed it. Great looking habitat, and we did see a number of Nilgai as well.
I can’t recommend them highly enough, it was a phenomenal hunt. Jimmy DeLoache was our guide, I can’t recommend him highly enough either. He worked his a** off for us. Very accommodating and knew his biology and behavior habits of all the animals we encountered.

What an excellent hunt! You packed a bunch into one day. A 9 inch Nilgai bull is really, really good. Nilgai hunting in south Texas is almost like PG hunting in Africa.

Just curious, did you notice much of the border invasion issues while in south Texas? I've been wanting to do another Nilgai hunt, but have been reluctant to go down there until things improve a bit. Might have to wait a couple more years until the new guy or gal is in the Whitehouse.
I don't think the King ranch area is as affected as others Further west.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg