Upland pants

One last tip about pants, make sure they are quiet for stalking close. Nothing worse than the sound of synthetic material like a zipper across branch or crinkling as you crouch down. For Africa I've found cotton or at least some type of cotton blend to work best.

After our first trip to Africa battling the thorns and briars in the bush, my wife and I each bought a pair of Filson Double Hunting Pants. Although I love the pants, IMO they are too hot for use hunting in Africa even during the coldest months. I wear these pants with an thermal underlayer to keep the cold waxed canvas off my skin. The pants are now worn working around the house in the colder months, however if I were to go upland bird hunting in Oct/Nov/Dec they would be in my bag. They certainly get some use, but it wasn't as I had intended.

If I were looking for brush pants from Filson to wear in Africa, the Shelter Brush Pant is about as heavy as I'd go. Truthfully, regular outdoor pants like the Carhart B11, Duluth Firehose or Filson Dry Tin Cloth will get the job done in short order and can still be worn on the plane without looking silly.
I understand the issue with the cold wax and mining against the leg. This is why I prefer pant with a soft lining.

Unfortunately I cannot find anything similar to what I have.

I understand the issue with the cold wax and mining against the leg. This is why I prefer pant with a soft lining.

Unfortunately I cannot find anything similar to what I have.
Maybe the Orvis Missouri Breaks Hunting Field Pants?

Maybe the Orvis Missouri Breaks Hunting Field Pants?
Perhaps. I looked at those online so I’m going to go by the Orvis store here and check them out.

I have a soft pair of old Columbia brand size 34. If that’s your size, PM me and I’ll ship them to you (or anyone else who can wear them). I bought two pair and will likely not wear out the other pair.
DCA0D417-D7CF-4EA3-8F02-BEA6B7303F49.jpeg
44BDF538-092F-4A0C-B84E-CCEA25AE76FF.jpeg
A5073900-E618-432B-9D99-D2501F29187D.jpeg

If you don’t like the fit, repost them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps. I looked at those online so I’m going to go by the Orvis store here and check them out.

That’s what I bought for my first upland hunt a couple years ago. I really liked them and thought they were comfy enough to just wear around normally

That’s what I bought for my first upland hunt a couple years ago. I really liked them and thought they were comfy enough to just wear around normally
Is the leg like a pair of khakis?

Andrew, you're more likely to find them at the Orvis store at the shooting grounds (Farmlinks). If you decide to head down there let me know. If I'm back from Canada I'll meet you for a round.

Andrew, you're more likely to find them at the Orvis store at the shooting grounds (Farmlinks). If you decide to head down there let me know. If I'm back from Canada I'll meet you for a round.
Absolutely!

Is the leg like a pair of khakis?

Yes, soft cotton on the interior and the fabric has a good bit of stretch to it which I love. Makes moving around very comfortable

I’ve spent this deer season crawling through blackberry thickets in my Duluth Trading Flex Fire Hose pants…work as well as anything else I have tried. I even have pockets for all of my junk that I carry everywhere with minimal snags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg