Mike Van Horn

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Wisconsin, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kanas, Colorado, Oklahoma
Thinking of doing a upgrade on my spotting scope. What are you guys using? Pros and cons?

whats your intended purpose?

for simple range use on a short to medium distance range (>200 yards).. Ive honestly gotten by with a cheap $99 spotting scope just fine.. I can see clearly enough to find holes in paper and adjust rifle mounted scopes, etc.. which is really all I am trying to do..

If youre talking about a scope for use at greater ranges, or a scope to take to the field for hunting.. thats a whole different animal (In my opinion).. then the same rules that apply to a rifle mounted optic are in play... clarity and ruggedness are at the top of the priorities for me... but depending on intended use, things like weight, size, field of view, and how much magnification are likely going to come into play as well..

I prefer an angled eyepiece since most of the time I use a spotting scope is on the range (from the sitting position I find this easiest to use)..

I am a pretty big fan of Leupold products for the price point.. I looked through their SX-4 Pro Guide HD15-45x65mm recently.. If I were in the market for a nice "field" spotting scope for hunting and/or longer range shooting, thats probably the one I'd purchase..

What are you using now?

Is size and weight a factor?

Right now I'm using a Vortex Razor and it works for what I use it for, but in my book it is too large and bulky to use hunting if you are also packing a rifle and a smaller pair of binoculars.

Still looking and wondering if I really need it?

For judging horn size at distance they can be a great help. You see sheep and goat hunters around the world using them. Prevents a lot of hikes by determining whether a animals meets the criteria to hunt or not. For that type of hunt weight is important and I've seen some use a smaller Leopold product. Others want the best in clarity and magnification and they usually wind up with Swarovski or sometimes Zeiss. As mentioned above the Vortex Razor is a good scope, but heavy. If used primarily from a vehicle it might be a great choice. How you plan to use it plays heavily into what would work best. Budget also affects the calculation.
Bruce

I hunt Colorado a lot - spotting very long ranges looking for elk, deer and bear. Had a couple cheaper spotting scopes, burris, Leupold, vortex, ended up upgrading to a swaro ATS 80 - no comparison. The only con to the swaro is the price

For locating critters I’ve gone to Swaro 15x56 SLC’s on a tripod. If you need to judge trophy size at a mile they are not the right tool. However, for picking cover apart to locate they are amazing.

I have the vortex viper hd with angled eye piece the only downfall is the weight.

Sport Optics has the new compact Swarovski in stock.
1675720342153.png

Also, in green.

whats your intended purpose?

for simple range use on a short to medium distance range (>200 yards).. Ive honestly gotten by with a cheap $99 spotting scope just fine.. I can see clearly enough to find holes in paper and adjust rifle mounted scopes, etc.. which is really all I am trying to do..

If youre talking about a scope for use at greater ranges, or a scope to take to the field for hunting.. thats a whole different animal (In my opinion).. then the same rules that apply to a rifle mounted optic are in play... clarity and ruggedness are at the top of the priorities for me... but depending on intended use, things like weight, size, field of view, and how much magnification are likely going to come into play as well..

I prefer an angled eyepiece since most of the time I use a spotting scope is on the range (from the sitting position I find this easiest to use)..

I am a pretty big fan of Leupold products for the price point.. I looked through their SX-4 Pro Guide HD15-45x65mm recently.. If I were in the market for a nice "field" spotting scope for hunting and/or longer range shooting, thats probably the one I'd purchase..
Yes the Leupold SX-4, 15-45-65 is high on my list
thanks for the info

What are you using now?

Is size and weight a factor?

Right now I'm using a Vortex Razor and it works for what I use it for, but in my book it is too large and bulky to use hunting if you are also packing a rifle and a smaller pair of binoculars.
Had a Vortex 20-60-80. Worked good at the range. To big and heavy to pack around hunting for me

thanks for the info

For judging horn size at distance they can be a great help. You see sheep and goat hunters around the world using them. Prevents a lot of hikes by determining whether a animals meets the criteria to hunt or not. For that type of hunt weight is important and I've seen some use a smaller Leopold product. Others want the best in clarity and magnification and they usually wind up with Swarovski or sometimes Zeiss. As mentioned above the Vortex Razor is a good scope, but heavy. If used primarily from a vehicle it might be a great choice. How you plan to use it plays heavily into what would work best. Budget also affects the calculation.
Bruce

thanks for the info

I hunt Colorado a lot - spotting very long ranges looking for elk, deer and bear. Had a couple cheaper spotting scopes, burris, Leupold, vortex, ended up upgrading to a swaro ATS 80 - no comparison. The only con to the swaro is the price
Agree the Swarovski is nice. The ones l have seen are just to big and heavy to pack around
Thanks for the info

For locating critters I’ve gone to Swaro 15x56 SLC’s on a tripod. If you need to judge trophy size at a mile they are not the right tool. However, for picking cover apart to locate they are amazing.
Agree, have a pair of Leica just for that
Thanks for the info

Reactions: WAB
I have the vortex viper hd with angled eye piece the only downfall is the weight.
Agree the weight and size in your pack. Great for at the range
Thanks for the info

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.23 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.23 AM Large.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.25 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.25 AM Large.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.27 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.27 AM Large.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.28 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.28 AM Large.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.31 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.04.31 AM Large.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 35
Agree the Swarovski is nice. The ones l have seen are just to big and heavy to pack around
Thanks for the info
I have a separate case for the scope that attaches to the back of my pack. To me it’s not that bad, the tripod is a pain in the butt. I bought the swaro tripod - it’s nice and sturdy but the combined weight and bulk of the two make you reconsider toting those around. Thankfully this last hunt my brother and nephew were with me and I had some help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois