Unplanned Warthog

What would you consider to be the maximum range of your setup for kudu?

What will your draw weight increase to for eland?

What would you consider to be the maximum range of your setup be for eland?

What would you consider to be the maximum range of your setup for kudu?

What will your draw weight increase to for eland?

What would you consider to be the maximum range of your setup be for eland?
Kudus are string jumpers. Shooting from a waterhole I will say 20-30m. I have not walk and stalk before so that I can't say.

Elands are big animals. The bigger the animal the bigger the mess when you make an mistake. I will maybe increase it to 65-70lbs but with todays modern bows its not about the poundage of your bow but about how much kinetic energy your bow can produce according to your setup.

I am thinking about a South Africa bow hunt that would include a kudu, gemsbuck,or wildebeest.

With a bow setup: 68 pounds shooting a 450 to 500 grain arrow. Thinking max range would be about 40 yards.

For the medium antelope using my 342 grain arrows out to 60 yards.

@ Ridge Runner, What is your reasoning on maximum ranges here? Accuracy or penetration?

@ Ridge Runner, What is your reasoning on maximum ranges here? Accuracy or penetration?
Bowhunting is all about correct shot placement. Here in Africa we have tough animals so penetration is very important. For the big game heavy arrows is a good call because the heavier your arrow the more kinetic energy. Springbok and Impala are not that tough but they are excellent spring jumpers so you must make sure you have a fast arrow for them. Warthogs are tough as hell for there size and they do string jump. My father hit one with my pickup at 120km/h and the warthog still ran 50 meters before it went down. The steel bar behind the bumper that joins the chassis was completely bent into the intercooler and radiator. Hunter even sometimes struggle to kill them with a rifle with one shot. They broadhead I used on my warthog has a trophy tip that has split a rib on the entry hole.

Bowhunting is all about correct shot placement. Here in Africa we have tough animals so penetration is very important. For the big game heavy arrows is a good call because the heavier your arrow the more kinetic energy. Springbok and Impala are not that tough but they are excellent spring jumpers so you must make sure you have a fast arrow for them. Warthogs are tough as hell for there size and they do string jump. My father hit one with my pickup at 120km/h and the warthog still ran 50 meters before it went down. The steel bar behind the bumper that joins the chassis was completely bent into the intercooler and radiator. Hunter even sometimes struggle to kill them with a rifle with one shot. They broadhead I used on my warthog has a trophy tip that has split a rib on the entry hole.
I totally agree, shot placement is the first priority. With his statement my concern is a possible misperception that the heavier arrows would only be effective to such range. Arrows don't lose speed like bullets do. And as you stated the heavier arrows would retain more energy than the lighter ones. I personally use arrows in the 500 grain range. So IMO the 450-500 grain arrows he mentioned will work well on any plains game. Honestly with a modern compound bow you'll often get the energy neccessary to pass through an animal with a 50-60 pound bow. So a 68 pound bow 450-500 grain arrows will have plenty of energy to effectively kill even an eland as long as the shot placement is good.

I totally agree, shot placement is the first priority. With his statement my concern is a possible misperception that the heavier arrows would only be effective to such range. Arrows don't lose speed like bullets do. And as you stated the heavier arrows would retain more energy than the lighter ones. I personally use arrows in the 500 grain range. So IMO the 450-500 grain arrows he mentioned will work well on any plains game. Honestly with a modern compound bow you'll often get the energy neccessary to pass through an animal with a 50-60 pound bow. So a 68 pound bow 450-500 grain arrows will have plenty of energy to effectively kill even an eland as long as the shot placement is good.
That is true. I know of a guys wife that shot a Cape Buffalo with a 63lbs bow but the arrow was heavy. So it shows you heavy arrow and good delivery of kinetic energy then you can hunt anything. The guy I bought my bow from tried to sell a 80lbs bow to me and that for me is too much. You get guys that has to much draw weight set on there bow then they struggle to draw it and hurt them selfs because they want "enough fire power". Rather set your bow on a draw weight that you can draw comfortable.

Well Willie, now you are hooked. Bowhunting will be part of your hunting future forever. When you get old like me you might resort to a crossbow like I have, but there is still the need and satisfaction of getting up close and personal.

I am thinking about a South Africa bow hunt that would include a kudu, gemsbuck,or wildebeest.

With a bow setup: 68 pounds shooting a 450 to 500 grain arrow. Thinking max range would be about 40 yards.

For the medium antelope using my 342 grain arrows out to 60 yards.
I wouldnt find it necessary to have two arrows, that sounds like a good way to forget what pin goes to what arrow at what yardage and end up making a mistake (wounding)

Pick an arrow with sufficient KE and FOC, a nice sharp broadhead, and be proficient at placing that arrow at various ranges.

I have a bow set up with heavier (aluminum wrapped carbon) arrows and one with lighter carbon only. I dont know which I'll take to africa but I wont switch back and forth, I'll be practiced up out to 90 yards, which will give me confidence to shoot the first shot on an unwounded animal absolutely accurately out to about 50-60

I wouldnt find it necessary to have two arrows, that sounds like a good way to forget what pin goes to what arrow at what yardage and end up making a mistake (wounding)

Pick an arrow with sufficient KE and FOC, a nice sharp broadhead, and be proficient at placing that arrow at various ranges.

I have a bow set up with heavier (aluminum wrapped carbon) arrows and one with lighter carbon only. I dont know which I'll take to africa but I wont switch back and forth, I'll be practiced up out to 90 yards, which will give me confidence to shoot the first shot on an unwounded animal absolutely accurately out to about 50-60
I agree. One set of arrows to hunt everything. Some guys prefer having 2 sets for diffrent game but I don't. I like having one set.

I agree. One set of arrows to hunt everything. Some guys prefer having 2 sets for diffrent game but I don't. I like having one set.
One day I'll chase buffalo with bow, it will be a different setup than for PG. I just personally turn each bow for each arrow and stick with it, and take whichever setup suits the purpose. Theres more than one right way of course, minimizing possible errors is what I default to

One day I'll chase buffalo with bow, it will be a different setup than for PG. I just personally turn each bow for each arrow and stick with it, and take whichever setup suits the purpose. Theres more than one right way of course, minimizing possible errors is what I default to
I agree. I don't know if you heard of Dr Adrian De Villiers? He is a legendary bow hunter hear in South Africa. His books helps alot.

Netjies.

Both actually.

Back when I was 3D tournament shooting, there would be side tournaments, 0ne particular and very popular was the 100+ yard 3D buffalo(bison) target.

Attached to the bison's scoring ring is a 2x2 inch exploding target. Explode the block and you win a table prize pack.

In hunting we want to be accurate and we want more than "enough" penetration to make a clean kill.

I may be able to hit the kill zone be it at 20 yards or 100 yards, but if the bow weight isn't strong enough or the arrow lacks in performance at over 50, 75, 100 yards why attempt to make the shot?

My longest shot on a deer is 61 yards, facing me, it went 5 yards and down. Bow weight 65 pounds; Arrow: Victory, VForce, 350, 322 grains including the 100 grain, cut on contact, G5 broadhead.

Kudu, eland, wildebeest are not whitetails, thus as a bow hunter going to Africa after an "elk" size animal, which I have never been able to go after with a bow...yet..; I am trying to put as much information together to get an idea on what I need to do to prepare.

Back in my "younger days", I use to shoot a York 80 pound draw bow, using 400+/- grain arrows out to 90 yards. Those days are gone.

Now I shoot an "advertised" "70 pound" Mathews bow at 68 pound max draw weight. My 450 grain X7 Easton Eclipes arrows look like logs flying through the air.

Question: Using a 450 gr arrow, traveling 270+/- fps, with proper shot placement:.....will this properly kill a kudu, eland, at 60 yards?

My bad...I should have communicated better,...going after PG gemsbuck and smaller only, "personally", I would be comfortable with shots 60 yards and less using only my 322 grain arrows only.

If I was going after anything bigger than gemsbuck; ie kudu, wildebeest, buff, and under I would be using the same 450-500 grain arrow weight for all game.

Both actually.

Question: Using a 450 gr arrow, traveling 270+/- fps, with proper shot placement:.....will this properly kill a kudu, eland, at 60 yards?
The set up mentioned is similar in specs to my Athens Afflixtion I shot until last year. I would have used that without a doubt. So if you're accurate to 60 yards I'd say yes, it would work on a kudu or even eland.

Both actually.

Back when I was 3D tournament shooting, there would be side tournaments, 0ne particular and very popular was the 100+ yard 3D buffalo(bison) target.

Attached to the bison's scoring ring is a 2x2 inch exploding target. Explode the block and you win a table prize pack.

In hunting we want to be accurate and we want more than "enough" penetration to make a clean kill.

I may be able to hit the kill zone be it at 20 yards or 100 yards, but if the bow weight isn't strong enough or the arrow lacks in performance at over 50, 75, 100 yards why attempt to make the shot?

My longest shot on a deer is 61 yards, facing me, it went 5 yards and down. Bow weight 65 pounds; Arrow: Victory, VForce, 350, 322 grains including the 100 grain, cut on contact, G5 broadhead.

Kudu, eland, wildebeest are not whitetails, thus as a bow hunter going to Africa after an "elk" size animal, which I have never been able to go after with a bow...yet..; I am trying to put as much information together to get an idea on what I need to do to prepare.

Back in my "younger days", I use to shoot a York 80 pound draw bow, using 400+/- grain arrows out to 90 yards. Those days are gone.

Now I shoot an "advertised" "70 pound" Mathews bow at 68 pound max draw weight. My 450 grain X7 Easton Eclipes arrows look like logs flying through the air.

My bad...I should have communicated better,...going after PG gemsbuck and smaller only, "personally", I would be comfortable with shots 60 yards and less using only my 322 grain arrows only.

If I was going after anything bigger than gemsbuck; ie kudu, wildebeest, buff, and under I would be using the same 450-500 grain arrow weight for all game.
I would not recommentd shooting a Buffalo with a 450-500gr arrow your just going to wound it and that could be dangerous.

For Buffalo you must use an 800gr arrow and up tipped with a 2 blade cut on contact fix blade broadhead like German Kinetic or Zwickey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg