United airlines

Texas gator

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Has anyone flown United from the US to Joberg lately? Are they flying daily or are they canceling any flights? I have a hunt in August and need to book flights. Any help would be appreciated. Looking for direct flights if possible

it seems they are flying and no word of flights being cancelled on this site yet I don't believe

We’re booked on this flight July 12. Good deal on Polaris class seats - fifteen hours and you’re there!

United has some really good deals right now. I booked DFW to JNB through Newark last week and got round trip business class for $3,216 each.

My buddy flew the Newark to Johannesburg flight last night. Left 2 hours late because of storms but he said flight was smooth and uneventful.

I’m in Namibia now. We flew (and are flying United) home next week) United. Cheaper tickets than I paid delta in 2012. Bumped up from cattle class for 182$ round trip to economy plus. 787 seems to ride better than 777 of delta (or maybe I was just ready to get back to Africa.. but I digress).

only hang up we experienced was the gate at Newark called for boarding at 730 for an 845 pm flight. We were delayed to allow connecting flights to make the gate. It took them 70 min to board the plane and we didn’t leave until 1030 pm. We made jnb at 645 instead of 545pm. I’m have no complaints about the flight itself.
glad I’m here and glad United is flying. Make sure you keep up with the rules for getting into and out of Africa. They are locking down Namibia because of covid tomorrow so we shall see what happens…

5 people I am hunting with in July are booked on the United Newark to Joberg flight.. Theyve had no problems with United as of yet.. They booked their tickets about a month ago..

We are taking the Newark jberg route in august on United unless COVID shuts it down. Glad to hear folks are not having too bad issues with United

My daughter and a friend of hers flew United from DFW-EWR-JNB this past Sunday, arrived Monday and no issues. I got Elise an economy ticket for 100,000 miles and she paid a couple hundred dollars to upgrade it to Economy plus. Hopefully her return flights go as smooth. The 787 Dreamliner is a really nice aircraft for a long haul flight.

I am booked on United for my trip next week, got business class for a very reasonable point upgrade. Spending the night in J'berg, so no time pressure to make a connection.

I am sitting in Newark on the return leg! Fantastic safari! United Dreamliner was a good flight both ways. The trip over was delayed in Newark for two hours but we arrived less than an hour late. Seemed like a better ride than the previous 777 trips on delta. The on boarding was a little difficult due to United being a little under prepared for the process. Return trip was uneventful and there were approx 50 open seats so we were able to spread out and get some good sleep! Economy plus was 186 round trip upgrade. Well worth it!
I would fly them again for sure!

I am booked on United for my trip next week, got business class for a very reasonable point upgrade. Spending the night in J'berg, so no time pressure to make a connection.
Have a great trip!

Just returned from RSA last weekend. Flew Newark to JNB flight and JNB to Newark. Missed the first leg due to weather and was rebooked for the following day. Return flight was uneventful. I would suggest anyone flying through Newark arrive no later than early afternoon, summer afternoon storms are common on the east coast.

I am sitting in Newark on the return leg! Fantastic safari! United Dreamliner was a good flight both ways. The trip over was delayed in Newark for two hours but we arrived less than an hour late. Seemed like a better ride than the previous 777 trips on delta. The on boarding was a little difficult due to United being a little under prepared for the process. Return trip was uneventful and there were approx 50 open seats so we were able to spread out and get some good sleep! Economy plus was 186 round trip upgrade. Well worth it!
Sounds like you had a really good trip. The 787 being a composite plane certainly makes for a better long haul flight than the 777. So what you experienced was effectively being at a lower altitude due to the fact that the composite plane can take higher pressure than an aluminum plane. It is quieter as well.
I’ll be on the A350 on Qatar next month which is also a composite plane.

My daughter was on the same flight from JNB to EWR. She's headed to DFW now. The flight got into Newark early, so she had plenty of time to make her connection. She did say the Newark airport was crazy busy this morning.

Sounds like you had a really good trip. The 787 being a composite plane certainly makes for a better long haul flight than the 777. So what you experienced was effectively being at a lower altitude due to the fact that the composite plane can take higher pressure than an aluminum plane. It is quieter as well.
All true! Good luck on your safari!

A little info comparing the old & new:

IMG_20210514_063219230.jpg

Moving right along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg