AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Good evening Gents,
I’m not sure if there is much of an interest in Unertl Scopes on AH but thought I would give you guys first shot on this one. Hard to come by Programer- 200 20X. I’ve looked at quite a few of these and this one is nice. It has Posa-type mounts. Both front and rear lens covers, glass is optically perfect. I wish this was my scope but unfortunately I am selling for my friends widow.
$1150 TYD insured. If it isn’t what I’ve said, I will pay shipping back to me.
31F2FB11-00DE-4B24-9DAE-6C889269C5D2.jpeg
55CE0882-DF90-43CE-9218-EB6CD24FCE4C.jpeg
F03EE2D2-0048-4F38-977C-9CA0597277F7.jpeg
1236765A-F21A-4116-AE36-5BBB9FE09D3F.jpeg
6F934292-AEB0-4C35-B7D4-14EBC497F8A4.jpeg

Can I "steal" a thread for a bit, by asking a question?

Unertl scopes are part of firearms history. Carlos Hatcock used unertl scope for example, and they have been fitted on sniper rifles in ww2.
I have never seen unertl scope personally.

The question is following, I think after reading some texts, that after the shot, unertl scope moves inside its mounts and needs to be pulled back to its original position.
Am I right, and did I get this memorized correctly?

I also see a spring on the scope tube which would fit that purpose, and I can see specific mount system and rings.
So the question is, can somebedy explain the operating system of unertl scopes? How does it work on a rifle?

Mark,
You are correct about these scopes being a historical item! John Unertl worked for J.W. Fecker before going out on his own and starting Unertl, the history behind both companies is very interesting as Fecker started out building optical instruments for the military and then jumped into the scope world really revolutionizing sport optics IMO.
You mentioned the need to pull the scope back into position, this is the purpose of the spring on sporting models. The USMC removed the spring on their 30-06 M70 Sniper Rifle because they believed that the recoil of the ‘06 put to much stress on the scope, making it a manual operation to return the scope to its stop after firing.
My friend had these scopes I have mounted on Ruger No.1’s and Winchester 52’s and swore by them in the Prairie Dog Towns of Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas.
Mine are mounted on only Rimfire rifles and are just plain fun to shoot and look at. The black rifle crowd at a range can’t figure out how to turn the red dot on. Lol

Thanks!
I remeber carlos hathcocks story, when after the shot, he pushed back unertl scope.
These scopes are rare here, but i think having an original rifle of ww2 or vietnam era, with that scope would be fantastic!

We saw these scopes on varmint rigs growing up in Canada. They accounted for many groundhogs and crows. Very cool.

We saw these scopes on varmint rigs growing up in Canada. They accounted for many groundhogs and crows. Very cool.
I’m pretty sure the Programer was intended as a varmint/target scope. They just have a cool factor that is hard to beat! I’ve never made a trip to a range that I haven’t had people walk over to see what the hell is on top of my rifle.

I recall the last one I saw, it was on a M-70 chambered in .225 Winchester at Santarossa’s gun shop in Tecumseh, Ontario. I should have bought that rifle! I wish the OP success in selling this very cool piece of history!

Is this scope still available? If so does it have the fine crosshair or dot reticle?

Is this scope still available? If so does it have the fine crosshair or dot reticle?
Yes sir, it is available as well as several other Unertl’s. Fine cross hair on the programmer

So I ended up selling @DonT a 20X Target model. The Programer is still available as well as a few more Unertl Scopes

You can deal with Bullthrower338 with confidence. The scope I got was exactly as he said it was and he was a gentleman to deal with thru the whole process, including a delay with the PO gettting him the check. He is a man of his word and that is a hard thing to find today.... Thank you for a smooth transaction. Also his price is very reasonable! DonT

Thank you for the kind words Don! It was a pleasure and glad you love your scope, it is a beauty!
cheers,
Cody

Reactions: WAB
Cody:
Do you still have the Unertl's available? I would be interested in what you have available...

Thank you

Ray

Cody:
Do you still have the Unertl's available? I would be interested in what you have available...

Thank you

Ray
I sure do sir. I will send you a PM with my contact

two of my unertl scopes on a rem-win 22 rifles and my favorite is a cased unertl optic, a 100 mm team spotter scope.

DSCN0011 (3).JPG
DSCN1198 (2).JPG
DSCN1197 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cory, I'm looking for a Unertl Programer 200 in 24, 32 or 36 power (old eyes). Got anything or maybe you could point me in the right direction. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas

Good evening Gents,
I’m not sure if there is much of an interest in Unertl Scopes on AH but thought I would give you guys first shot on this one. Hard to come by Programer- 200 20X. I’ve looked at quite a few of these and this one is nice. It has Posa-type mounts. Both front and rear lens covers, glass is optically perfect. I wish this was my scope but unfortunately I am selling for my friends widow.
$1150 TYD insured. If it isn’t what I’ve said, I will pay shipping back to me.View attachment 410730View attachment 410731View attachment 410732View attachment 410733View attachment 410734
Beautiful Unertl, a rare scope in amazing condition!

I am interested in a unertl programmer for prairie dogs in Montana. If you have one please

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you