Under Wild Skies

Fixfire

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
WACA, SCI, Centennial Farms Gun Club
Hunted
South Africa
Sorry if this is old news - I’m starving for African Hunting on tv. What ever happened to Tony Makris and Under Wild Skies?? This was absolutely my favorite. Of course Tracks Across African is also outstanding!!

Sorry if this is old news - I’m starving for African Hunting on tv. What ever happened to Tony Makris and Under Wild Skies?? This was absolutely my favorite. Of course Tracks Across African is also outstanding!!
Check out This is Africa. In my mind it’s a much better show than Tracks.

I swear that before I ever knew I would be able to go every other show was an African show, rubbing my nose in what I might never have. Now that I have been and would like to see shows to remind me of wonderful it was? I almost see unicorns more than I see African TV shows on. :unsure:

Got it!! Watch it often, but I was asking about UWS!!

I haven’t seen it listed in a while. Maybe they change it up from fall/winter shows to spring/summer shows?

I don’t know the actual answer but I would guess that getting the show filmed, edited and produced during covid was nearly impossible.

Google Tony Makrus NRA lawsuit Wayne LaPierre. Good old lawsuit I believe regarding the NRA board and the show was canceled. From what I remember reading seemed like a pissing match among personalities of the privileged.

You can subscribe to myoutdoorTV and access all his old shows, also many others.

I much prefer Tony’s and Dave’s narrative, as well as the production quality. Hornady’s Dark and Dangerous is another I DVR.
I’ve never watched it, but now I will see if I can find past episodes

Lots of Africa hunting on YouTube.
If you have a smart tv, you can simply go to the Youtube channel and look at anything you like. If you don't, go to Youtube on your laptop, connected to your TV with an HDMI cable. Whatever you like, there it is! Much better shows now sans all the commercial BS. "I'm hunting today with my Browning rifle and my Browning Hat using my DGX ammo and my Thermacell bug repellent", et. al. Funny how shows are 15-20 min long sans that BS and you get to hear 'em say what they really think!

And, getting 'round the commercials, a fair number of PHs (in and outside Africa) made good use of the otherwise downtime during COVID to make fantastic, professionally-videoed shows. 'Have seen many African greats (anything African Sun ) Productions makes-first I can think of are not 1 but 2 of Jaco O. of Game Trackers Africa in Tanzania, but there are many others in Namibia, RSA, Zimbabwe, Moz, etc. and just a pile of greats for sheep/goats in AK, BC, Yukon, and in many of the former Russian territories ending in 'stan! Whatever species you like hunting, just do a search and it'll find more that you like and post 'em every time you turn the tv on.

Tracks across Africa has some of the better PH’s and truly wild areas. I struggle to watch shows where the hosts and PH’s are not people I would hunt with.

I used to watch Under Wild Skies and most of his hunts were interesting, but it got to the point where the whole show started to be about Tony more than the hunting. I'm guessing that the NRA's financial troubles may have contributed to the cancellation of the show.

The Youtube tv channel effectively dodges the MSM and its incessant need to advertise. That alone is gold standard! You can find any hunt, hunter, guide, species, terrain, sky color, .22 WMR kills-whatever you like, do a specific search and you'll find it. I'm not too particular who i watch on tv-it's not like I'm really out there hunting. :p You'll know the few boring videos when you see them, but Youtube Channel is where it's at post-covid. The smart TVs are so good, I've ditched cable packages that strategically each had 1 hunting channel (for $100s/mo ea channel.) Now it's included with my internet bill for the smart (wifi) tv. $50/mo.

The bills for the leather shooting gloves really added up..."UNDER WILD SKIES...." i can still hear that. lol It was a costly production. There are others...but you can even watch past episodes of wild skies on their website, if not Youtube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.