Ultimate Springbok Rifle

Code4, I have found fast expanding bullets the best for headshots..
As to the rifles above, these are my personal rifles that see the most work.
On top is a .450 Rigby, with double square bridge Mauser copy action made by Vektor.
Then a 9,3x64 Brenneke with a reworked M98 Mauser (DWM but with Oberndorf name aslo on)
next a 8x68 S also on a M98 Oberndorf Mauser (I just fitted the scope in the pic, and had to rework the handle a bit,, that's why it is all shiny in the photo)
Followed by my 7x64, also on M98 Oberndorf action, with a piece of wood I just about stole. It now wears a 1.5-6x42 Schmidt & Bender scope.
Lasty the mentioned .243 Win, followed by my pretty toe...

Hey Karl,
nice collection,
quality firearms,
very versatile range of effective calibers.

Karl,

I like your selection of arms/very euro! I had a 9.3x64 in a blaser about 5 years ago, just could not find any brass here in the states for it. I now have a 8x68S in a M03--man what a hard hitter! Going to use it in S. Africa in June on a Eland.. and what ever else walks out in front of it.

For Springbok. I'd think a nice Blaser R8 or R93 in a 264 win mag/ 257 wby mag would be awesome!

Ed

I have one I really like. It's main intent is for whitetails in wide-open alfalfa fields and pronghorn on the prairies. However, it will be the rifle I take when I finally get over to try for that springbok "grand slam" I covet. I fancy it will make a fine impala rig, too.

Trued Remington M700 in .260 Rem with 24" stainless Sporter contour barrel, blind magazine, drilled bolt handle, fluted bolt, McMillan "Mountain Rifle" pattern stock topped with a Minox ZA-5 2-10x40 set in Holland one piece mounts. All Cerakoted in matte black.

She runs 7 lbs 10 oz "all up" and shoots 120gr TSX into sub-1/4" groups at 100 yards.

The .260 Rem was made for killing springbok. I think it is a great option. The .260 has lost a lot of fame since it came out about 15 years ago...but it's a good gun!

If I was taking one rifle specifically to hunt Springbok...

I'd take my 300 Weatherby Magnum on this one Code4 - load it with 150gr Nosler ballistic tips. In my rifle at about 3300fps it'll drop about 14" at 400 yards. With its 4.5-14x56 VXL turned right up... Perfect.

I've taken five springbok on various hunts, always in very open country, and they are always a long way away!

Last edited:
I took my last Springbok with a 375 HH.

I admit, not the most appropriate caliber for it, but it s what I had in my hands at the moment, as my partner was hunting a lion.

I hunted many of them with 300 WM in the Kalahari meanwhile i was hunting plains game, just because 300 WM is a good all around caliber for medium sized Plains Game, and it has flat trajectory. As you can imagine you are over caliber with 300 WM

When i decide to hunt only springboks , my personal choice is 22.250 , this tiny 60 grains bullets... that seems "toy bullets" are fantastic aginst springboks. Amazing performance, usually no exit hole... and perfect mushroom in the bullet... ideal caliber for shooting this small gazelles in the long range plains of the Kalahari desert.

But, i have to admit, that any flat shooting caliber, and a rifle as accurate as possible will do that job perfectly.

Jose

If I was taking one rifle specifically to hunt Springbok...

I'd take my 300 Weatherby Magnum on this one Code4 - load it with 150gr Nosler ballistic tips. In my rifle at about 3300fps it'll drop about 14" at 400 yards. With its 4.5-14x56 VXL turned right up... Perfect.

I've taken five springbok on various hunts, always in very open country, and they are always a long way away!

There will be nothing left to eat.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!