Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
I have my own ideas about what this would be, but I'm open to ideas particularly from the African residents on here ?

So, what would it be ? and in what calibre ?

Code4
I have culled hundreds of Springbuck with a 243 loaded with 110 gr sierra's ( head shots ) my hunting partner used a 222, but for hunting i recommend the 270 and the 300 is also super.
Johan

Code4,

Yes im with Johan on this one. Many SA Chaps will use smaller calibers for head and neck shots for meat purposes - 222 , 223 , 243 etc...

I personally use a 223 rem. At long distances for most game i use my 308 or 7mm ...

cheers owen

Hi John,
I'm with the rest of the fellas on this one. Personally, I would go with something like the 243. The wind drift becomes an issue on the smaller calibres like the .22 centrefires. Nothing wrong with the 308,7mm or 300 either. It does what it is suppose to do.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Well you guy’s who frequently hunt in the Eastern Cape would probably know better but I would like to mention the 220 swift here fun calibre for springbuck.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hi Louis
Thanks for the phone call, yes i have seen some hunting with a 220 Swift also a good gun for the job.
Good luck with that lion hunt.
Johan

What about the .257 Weatherby?

25/06, 6.5/284 or 6.5/06 are all flat shooters and with light for caliber Barnes or Accubonds they would all be superb.

I suppose you could include that old dinosaur, the 264 Win mag in that bunch as well. :D

Hi Louis
Thanks for the phone call, yes i have seen some hunting with a 220 Swift also a good gun for the job.
Good luck with that lion hunt.
Johan

Hi Johan good talking to you as well, al the best for the season maybe one day we will do a springbuck hunt in your neck of the woods.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hunted with great success with the following calibres:

1. .22.250
2. .25.06
3. .243
4. .270

Even with and old .303 Springbuck has fallen...

6.5-284, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243, 223

Louis just let me know i do have very good White and Copper Springbuck not to talk about the Black and Kalahari.

Hi Johan

I will be sure to do so got a few clients that would love to hunt them including myself LOL but that would be with the stick and string LOL.

Best Regards
Louis van bergen

You just need time.
Johan

Thx for the replys. I had a .220 swift years ago and had not even thought of it. In a long bull barrel rifle it would be just about perfect.

The bottom gun...
Its a .243 Win on a Rem action, with a 10x42 Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman 11 scope on, and with 105 Hornady A-Max bullets at around 3000ft/ sec, its deadly on springbok.
6199d1299338704-ultimate-springbok-rifle-rifles.jpeg

Of course, if you like to play around (like I do), the top gun (a .450 Rigby) also works, even for headshots...
6200d1299338738-ultimate-springbok-rifle-450-rigby.jpeg

Attachments

• rifles.jpeg
    rifles.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 919
  • 450-rigby.jpeg
    450-rigby.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 684
Last edited by a moderator:
Karl, you can't get away that easily.

Please post some details on the other rifles in that photo, Number 4 in particular.

Cheers, John

Yeah,more info on the rifles please...and who's toes are those,spoiling a beautiful picture? :D

Well Karl, (wink)

I have a CZ .416 Rigby. Would you recommend solids or Softs for a head shot ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross