Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

I have a CZ 550 synthetic stock 20" cal 9.3x62 Mauser topped with Leupold VX2 3-9 x 40 which gives me complete satisfaction , but ... I still asked myself : 9.3x62 vs .338WM ?
Have you an opinion?
@bebo
You forgot the 35 Whelen in the mix. This has been done before and there's three fifths of five eighths difference in any of the 3.
The 35Whelen, 9.3x62 and the 338WM will do the same job out to 300 yards so it just a matter of personal preference. The only thing the 9.3 has over the others is that it is legal for DG in some areas where the other 2 aren't.
I ain't going to enter this rabbit hole again.
Bob.

I am 338 guy. I love the caliber and believe it's the probebly the most versitle for North America game, based on killing power and availability of components in the US. I own two, a 338WM and a 338fed. That said, when I started researching hunting in Africa I immediately wanted a traditional 9.3x62. But, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it since I already have a 338 that will essentially do anything the 9.3 will do just with a smaller dia hole. That and the fact that .375 is the minimum legal caliber for most Africa dangerous game, my next step up in will probebly be to a 404 Jeff or 416 Rigby. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have skipped the 338 WM and just bought a 9.3x62.
I have never seen the need for any cartridge wearing a belt. Make a lot of noise and kick you around but in the end the critters aren’t any more dead than when shot with an unbelted cartridge. Seems an unnecessary waste of precious powder to me. Not to mention the longer and heavier guns they come in. Just one old hunters crotchety opinion.

I have never seen the need for any cartridge wearing a belt. Make a lot of noise and kick you around but in the end the critters aren’t any more dead than when shot with an unbelted cartridge. Seems an unnecessary waste of precious powder to me. Not to mention the longer and heavier guns they come in. Just one old hunters crotchety opinion.
Hi MS,

I have generally felt the same way about belts. But I did discover one advantage that most overlook with today's high quality ammo.
I few years ago I bought a box of 9.3x62 ammo that had several misfires - only that lot and brand. I measured and discovered that the shoulders had been pushed back too far resulting in large headspace.
I then realized that this could not happen in my 375 H&H because the rifle will headspace on the belt.

Not a big deal - but interesting.

Bush Buck

I have a CZ 550 synthetic stock 20" cal 9.3x62 Mauser topped with Leupold VX2 3-9 x 40 which gives me complete satisfaction , but ... I still asked myself : 9.3x62 vs .338WM ?
Have you an opinion?
Whatever works for you and the type of game you're after. Myself personally, I'll take my 9.3X62 and never look back.

@bebo
You forgot the 35 Whelen in the mix. This has been done before and there's three fifths of five eighths difference in any of the 3.
The 35Whelen, 9.3x62 and the 338WM will do the same job out to 300 yards so it just a matter of personal preference. The only thing the 9.3 has over the others is that it is legal for DG in some areas where the other 2 aren't.
Bob.
Leave it to @Bob Nelson 35Whelen to dig out a 7-year-old thread to promote the Whelen. Anything to keep the talk away on how most fabulous the tomato stake caliber is .:LOL: :A Stirring:

In " Unrepent Sinner " by Col Charles Askins, he write when he tested the .338 Win Mag that some of the younger Winchester kids wanted to remove the belt off the case. He said est to keep it ,due to associstion with magnums and so on.

An in retrospect he was right,since one case not to be made from others in case logistic hiccup would not been a fun experience then or now.

@bebo
Bob.
Gets mighty dark down there Bob. Your right though anything the 9.3 can do the Whelen is right there also.

I inherited my Ruger 77 .338 from my older brother when he passed away. I had promised him I would take it to Africa and when I did, it took my 6 animals plus my friends Eland bull-- all were one shot kills.

Cal, My old poker playing college room mate always said "never kick a winner" so the Ruger .338 Win Mag stays!
It has since done well, especially taking a fleeing 6x6 bull elk in Colorado.
Today it fills the gap between my .308 and my .405 WCF.

With those rifles, there is no need for any other 30+ calibers.
Yes, Bob and others, that includes your .35 Whelen and the .375 Mag Thingy and saves me time and $$.

Last edited:
Hi MS,

I have generally felt the same way about belts. But I did discover one advantage that most overlook with today's high quality ammo.
I few years ago I bought a box of 9.3x62 ammo that had several misfires - only that lot and brand. I measured and discovered that the shoulders had been pushed back too far resulting in large headspace.
I then realized that this could not happen in my 375 H&H because the rifle will headspace on the belt.

Not a big deal - but interesting.

Bush Buck
@Bush Buck
Belted cases suffer the same issues at times because the belt placement can be different from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Even belted magnums should be loaded using the datum line on the shoulder to avoid case stretching and possible case head separation.
Bob

Hi Bob,

I’m sure you’re right. I would never want to hunt with ammo unless I had shot it enough to gain confidence in its function.

I rarely shoot factory 375 H&H - I much prefer my loads.
Like you suggest I use the shoulder to headspace and brass lasts much longer.

I have never seen the need for any cartridge wearing a belt. Make a lot of noise and kick you around but in the end the critters aren’t any more dead than when shot with an unbelted cartridge. Seems an unnecessary waste of precious powder to me. Not to mention the longer and heavier guns they come in. Just one old hunters crotchetyTomy addledoldmind

To my addled old mind, the belted cartridge is nothing more than an excuse, looking for a reason to exist. Created by H&H to appeal to the gentry as something "special', like the magnums of Champers they drank. Using the belt for headspace could be an excuse for poor/sloppy chambering.
Let's look at the Euro/German alternative; the 9.3X64; equivalent performance, in a shorter case, admittedly released 20+ years later.
Then we can go back to the 404 Jeffery, and the 416 Rigby, released concurrently with the 375 H&H, and not long after the 300H&H,butneeding a Magnum-length action. Limited availability of X64 components is an issue for the U S market; the X62 is gaining appreciation, IMHO.
I own a Voere 9.3x62,and a custom9.3X64,neithyer have been "hunted" yet, sadly. Woodleigh 9.3 bullets include 250, 286,and 320 grain iterations, other makers products are similar.
I hope I haven't upset anyone's applecart; not my intention. I'm praying for a U S manufacturer to get on the X64 bandwagon; any volunteers?

My personality is such that I tend to wonder a bid “off the beaten track” Hence, I prefer the 7x64 Breneke to the 270 Win for plains game. For thin skinned game in bush veldt the 6.5x55 Mannlicher Schoenauer with 160gr bullets has hardly an equal. Penetration is fantastic with little meat damage.

For larger thin skin animals up to Eland I prefer the 8x57; 8x60S or 8x68S to the 30-06 and the 9,3x62 to the .338

When making ready for those critters that fight back my .375H&H is a trusty companion. I recently add a 9.3x64 Mannlicher Schoenauer to my Mannlicher collection but that is to rare to go hunting with.

The 6.5 x 54 was the original cartridge size but you are right those long for caliber bullets penetrated very deep. The 6.5x55 was the Swedish version beloved in the Mauser model 96.

Thanks for pointing out the typo, obviously should be 6.5x54 for the Mannlicher.
Both are wonderful hunting cartridges that deserve to be more popular than they are. Unfortunately the new and shiny get all the press hence the 6.5 creedmore popularity. All that was old is new again.

On a different note, just for the love of vintage boxes (and times)...
IMG_20221025_204957.jpg

I mean...when I was a kid, 338 was synonymus of Alaska, Last Frontier, wild adventures...
I've always loved it

Both are wonderful hunting cartridges that deserve to be more popular than they are. Unfortunately the new and shiny get all the press hence the 6.5 creedmore popularity. All that was old is new again.
I may actually have a barrel chambered in 6.5 manbun. Simply because I have a .308 with a magazine that will not fit the 6.5x55 and I have a left over 6.5 barrel. Should make a cool little shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double