Uganda Giant Man-eating Crocodile Of Buvuma Captured After Two Year Hunt

You missed the point....the mind set is different that's it....hard to explain to people who don't experience it....they will go fish in the river with mutual (charms/witchcraft) obtained from the local witchdoctor...or possibly these days to be correct...the indigenous purveyor of traditional medicine....but if they don't get taken it works....obviously that is quite often...but if it doesn't and they get taken....then they did something that made their muti not work and broke the spell....so win win for the local doc....as I said different....and the air-conditioning etc I said....take it or leave it....Will leave it to all you experts over there ....and as for agreeing with him about the effect on the families....probably lasts a few days at most....as I said different here ......:D Beers:
I could be mistaken but I think the mindset that he is referring to here is very similar to what we dealt with in the middle east. We always summed it up with their favorite phrase for every occasion, Inshallah, which means if Allah wills it. Sort of like when a southerner follows up a statement with " If the good lord is willing and the creeks don't rise", except these dudes really believe it. Ha ha. When we would do joint operations with the local nationals you could not get them to use the sights on a weapon...nope you just spray and if Allah wills that a bullet hits somebody it will hit somebody. If you used the sights then you killed that dude, if you just sprayed and a bullet hits someone then, Inshallah, Allah willed that to happen. They don't look past today, if Allah wills that they wake up tomorrow then we will worry about tomorrow then. There is no "cause and effect" in thier mindset. You didn't get killed because you wandered out of your house and stood around in the street during a gunfight and caught a stray round, nope....inshallah, Allah just decided today was your day

I think the Bush mindset is similar. You didn't get killed because you were standing next to a body of water with a dense population of hungry crocodiles, you got killed simply because you got killed and that shit just happens.
On a side note I think that is a big problem here in the states, we are so far removed from death that the only dead bodies 90% of people have ever seen are in a funeral home all done up with make up. A lot of people do not grasp the reality that death is a part of everyday life and nobody is getting out of this alive.

How to properly sort out a man eating crocodile.
View attachment 505745

Image1671611306.769368.jpg

Yep. Agree

Ooo, yours makes mine look like a dwarf. What rifle & ammunition combination did you use ?

Stellar work!

It was 3 years ago. The rifle was a .375 loaned to me by one of our PH. I believe it was a CZ. I was told under no circumstance shoot less than 3 times. One at the end of the smile, once in the neck and one behind the shoulder. The first shot killed it. Bullet broke up and pierced the brain. Lucky I guess

It is very hard to understand the African mind "in Africa". 24 hours a day we have fish poachers in front of our lodge and during most daylight hours we can see at least one croc. Some of the fish poachers are in mokoros and some just stand waist deep with a dip net.

Yes everyone hates poaching and poachers, but for "some" of these people it is subsistence fishing. I once saw on a documentary where the journalist was interviewing a young African prostitute. The journalist said something to this effect, "Don't you realize you will probably contract AIDS and you will be dead in a year or two?". The young prostitutes answer said it all "and if I do not eat I will be dead in a week or two".

I have pictures of a man taken by a croc near us a few weeks ago, but I do not think it is proper to publish. Trust me it is not nice. I know because we retrieve a couple of bodies every year.

In a earlier post I mentioned it is usually much easier to trap a wise old croc than it is to hunt it, unless you just get lucky.

Lon

It is very hard to understand the African mind "in Africa". 24 hours a day we have fish poachers in front of our lodge and during most daylight hours we can see at least one croc. Some of the fish poachers are in mokoros and some just stand waist deep with a dip net.

Yes everyone hates poaching and poachers, but for "some" of these people it is subsistence fishing. I once saw on a documentary where the journalist was interviewing a young African prostitute. The journalist said something to this effect, "Don't you realize you will probably contract AIDS and you will be dead in a year or two?". The young prostitutes answer said it all "and if I do not eat I will be dead in a week or two".

I have pictures of a man taken by a croc near us a few weeks ago, but I do not think it is proper to publish. Trust me it is not nice. I know because we retrieve a couple of bodies every year.

In a earlier post I mentioned it is usually much easier to trap a wise old croc than it is to hunt it, unless you just get lucky.

Lon
Very good points, do you have any insight as to why this particular croc got attention? Five deaths in 75 years doesn't sound too wild considering it's a common occurrence. I'm sure plenty of Crocs in the same stretch of river have taken a local from time to time. Just curious, thank you for your posts

This is exactly what I was talking about, very few people here have ever lived with people in those conditions and it is hard for a lot of people to grasp that level of doing whatever it takes to survive.

Very good points, do you have any insight as to why this particular croc got attention? Five deaths in 75 years doesn't sound too wild considering it's a common occurrence. I'm sure plenty of Crocs in the same stretch of river have taken a local from time to time. Just curious, thank you for your posts
I’d say probably 5 attacks in close proximity. Could be that the croc was forced out of an area for some reason or it was moving from place to place and found a fast food joint en route.
if it was 5 over 75 years, no one would have identified it as a problem

I’d say probably 5 attacks in close proximity. Could be that the croc was forced out of an area for some reason or it was moving from place to place and found a fast food joint en route.
if it was 5 over 75 years, no one would have identified it as a problem
Right, I assume it was close proximity too. I just thought it was strange to get headlines about a man eater and it was five people. Interesting topic either way

One we recovered recently. No the elephants did not chase him although they were close by he was just standing waist deep with a dip net. He did not want a fine for illegal netting so he blamed his adventure on the elephants. Fortunately we were able to stop National Parks from killing one or more of the 13 bulls that were close by, bothering no one.

Lon

8576e7b1-670a-41ab-8269-55a672537695.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
One we recovered recently. No the elephants did not chase him although they were close by he was just standing waist deep with a dip net. He did not want a fine for illegal netting so he blamed his adventure on the elephants. Fortunately we were able to stop National Parks from killing one or more of the 13 bulls that were close by, bothering no one.

Lon
That guy came up with a story pretty quick lol

The "accused elephants" had been hanging around Milibizi for about 2 months, bothering no one and became a very good controlled attraction to the area. A NGO doing elephant studies herd about them and darted two "for research", they have not been seen since. Some we hunt some we do not, they were great for telling the local children about the benefits of wildlife, including crocs.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg