U.S.D.A clearing issues

Bangweulu Taxidermy is handing my dip & pack prior to shipment to Taxidermy America in Houston. The owner sent me an email asking if my Taxidermist was USDA-certified. Katie at TA advised that they aren't but the tannery is so they will pick up the crate. Fortunately, Cindi Rulon at Pro Cargo (my clearing agent) has dealt with this before.
I hope that this helps.

Lots of confusing "terms" even in this same thread being conflated.

Any swine or primate entering the US, has to go through a certified USDA ESTABLISHMENT- that can be a taxidermist OR tannery or anyone else that has been certified as a USDA importer. USFW does not have the authority to dedicate WHERE or WHO that USDA facility is. It's obviously easier if it is near the port of entry. The USDA certified facility has certain requirements such as quarantining the item for 30 days, checking for obvious signs of infestation and are supposed to burn the container the item was shipped in from overseas. Once the quarantine period is over and all other items checked off, the items can be released to the public for final use whether that's tanning, mounting, skulls, or just storing the salted/dried capes.

We received some more information from the USDA inspector that required our shipment to go to a USDA certified taxidermist. Oddly enough we now have 3 shipments come in the last week that are all finished taxidermy and are being required to go to a USDA certified taxidermist.

What we received from the USDA supervisor is that they were not going to physically inspect the shipment. There was no way they could determine the trophies were indeed finished (despite the paperwork stating so, and their opportunity to inspect it) so they required it go to a USDA Certified establishment. This process had just changed with them and they are requiring all shipments with warthogs or baboons to go to a USDA certified establishment.

In case you have a shipment coming in the near future with warthogs or baboons, please see this link. This is the USDA database that shows all certified establishments.

I wish we had more at the moment but we will continue to monitor and will update everyone as more becomes known!

-Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 3.54.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 3.54.04 PM.png
    616.1 KB · Views: 110
This is nothing new, its been going on for a few years now. They are just increasing their frequency of doing it.
What you have to realize is the regulations as far as I know do not differentiate from a finished skull or an un finished skull. Therefore restricting a crate of finished mounts is still by definition following the law. Yes, many come through with out being restricted. We did several crates last year, that were full finished mounts . We have to inspect and do paper work even if is all finished work.
They can also inspect the crate on site and if your skull has yellowing or a tiny piece of something they dont like on it they will USDA restrict said order.

I had a baboon skull finished and mounted on a plaque and a tanned baboon cape come through with no requirement of a USDA or Atlanta center of disease control permit

I had a baboon skull finished and mounted on a plaque and a tanned baboon cape come through with no requirement of a USDA or Atlanta center of disease control permit
Yep it happens ! But more and more Im seeing USDA restrictions placed on finished work.

Talked with my dad about his last shipment from Namibia that included a warthog and other trophies. He stated that he avoided these issues as his broker has a USDA approved warehouse that they clear all shipments through. This prevented him from having to incur extra shipping charges to send it to a USDA taxidermist as the shipment could go straight to him after clearing.

Does Trophy Shipper's have a USDA approved warehouse that they could clear at?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This right here would be a lot simpler for both the hunter and the clearing house I would think.

All of this reminds of why on my last hunt I hired the whole thing out and let someone else deal with all the myriad details and issues.
I had cleared my own shipments a few times, but then got into trouble with USFWS over some petty details, and at one point it looked like I was going to lose all my trophies. NEVER AGAIN!!

Yes, use a specialized service for these things! I have always used a licensed taxidermist who knows the state and federal regs dealing with trophy imports and is in constant contact with them about any changes in procedures. I have always used a customs broker who is likewise knowledgable about these regs. I've never had an issue- multiple trips to multiple countries.

I think the extra cost per trip averages maybe $500-600. Very inexpensive compared to confiscated/impounded trophies, months of legal hassles, stress and time, trips to the closest international port of entry- a full day's drive from my home one way,.... and so on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross