Two Brothers, A .3006 Rifle & A Very Angry Leopard

thanks for your stories, when you can,t be there reading about them is next best. two 03 springfield war rifles converted to sporter hunting rifles.

DSCN0839 (2).JPG
DSCN1284 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your stories, when you can,t be there reading about them is next best. two 03 springfield war rifles converted to sporter hunting rifles.
Leslie Hetrick
Thank you so much for your appreciation. The Springfield rifles were fine guns , especially when used with those 220 grain soft nose cartridges made by Remington.

Wonderful tale my friend. Thank you again. Wonder how the brothers worked that out?!?

Wonderful tale my friend. Thank you again. Wonder how the brothers worked that out?!?
Red Leg
Thank you so much for your never ending support and appreciation. Sundar Raj sir's son is still alive in Darjeeling . He may be able to know as he would deal with all the matters involving exporting skins for our clients. I remember them telling me that they were planning to sell the leopard skin . If l were to guess , they must have sold the leopard skin and divided the spoils. I understand that leopard skins were used for making lady's coats in the United States of America , at the time.

Another excellent adventure put to words Sir, big thanks. Hunts from a bygone era retold gives the feeling they unfolded but a week ago. Really enjoy the stories you have shared.

Another excellent adventure put to words Sir, big thanks. Hunts from a bygone era retold gives the feeling they unfolded but a week ago. Really enjoy the stories you have shared.
Bnc 04
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Hunting is timeless. Hunting is eternal.

I would enjoy reading stories about any of the smaller wildlife, if you ever need a break from writing about the big game. Venomous snakes and pythons would be pretty neat,
Mr. Rahman, any story you would offer on your experiences would be well received, as been shown by the appreciative members of our forum, so please post them.

Another great story, Mr. Rahman, thank you !

And thus , ended one more exciting , yet successful Shikar. I had the privilege of seeing the first plastic 12 bore shot-gun cartridges in my life and also the privilege of seeing the first adjustable choke shot-guns in my life.
My clients were complete gentlemen and they would later send me a film cinema reel of my favorite John Wayne film " Stage Coach " as a token of their appreciation. Father owned a projector and we would hang a white bedsheet on our roof every Friday and watch cinemas there.
I will however make one request to my fellow sportsmen. Pointed tip bullets have an excellent place in war. However , they are not created for Shikar. It is better to compromise and buy fewer cartridges of suitable design rather than buy a large quantity of cartridges of an unsuitable design. It makes for not very clean killing.
I hope my dear readers have enjoyed and that somebody here managed to identify the mysterious rifle.
Thank you for sharing this fantastic story!! Love to read first hand accounts like this. Thank you Don

The sight is fairly nauseating , but baba ( father ) was easily able to remove them from me by using tobacco juice. There were few men like father . He was my role model and he was always there for me , even in adulthood. After graduating college with a degree in Economics , when l had told my father that l did not want to work in a boring bank by wearing a neck tie , but rather wanted to be a professional Shikari , he did not refuse even once. While my mother initially had some reservations , due to the risks involved ( no mother would want her son to be eaten alive by a Royal Bengal tiger) , it was my father who convinced her to let me live my life on my own terms.

Mr. Rahman, thank you for another exciting and interesting story. I find myself this week, each morning, waking up and checking what new adventure you've shared. Please keep them coming! And I look forward to @Hoss Delgado book!

Your brief reference to your father reminded me of my own to a certain extent. My father was an Army man, serving 37 years. While he never pushed or coerced me to it, I couldn't help but follow in his footsteps. 18 years of service and counting, I regret nothing!

Looking forward to tomorrow's stories!

Mr. Rahman, thank you for another exciting and interesting story. I find myself this week, each morning, waking up and checking what new adventure you've shared. Please keep them coming! And I look forward to @Hoss Delgado book!

Your brief reference to your father reminded me of my own to a certain extent. My father was an Army man, serving 37 years. While he never pushed or coerced me to it, I couldn't help but follow in his footsteps. 18 years of service and counting, I regret nothing!

Looking forward to tomorrow's stories!
rinehart0050
Thank you so much for your kind words.
You should be proud that you served your motherland . Your father must be unimaginably proud of you. Those who serve their country deserve the highest badge of honor. I have written two more stories since. Father was the hero in my life. Beating children was common in our era , however neither father nor mother ever hit me and gave me anything except support.

Thanks for another great tale. It’s great that your dad was your hero and mentor. My father taught me my love for hunting and the outdoors as well as teaching me about horses, cattle and ranching. I’ve been a cowboy and a hunter all my life because of my dad.

Thanks for another great tale. It’s great that your dad was your hero and mentor. My father taught me my love for hunting and the outdoors as well as teaching me about horses, cattle and ranching. I’ve been a cowboy and a hunter all my life because of my dad.
MAdcox
Thank you for your unimaginable support. You are very lucky to have such a father. I love cow boy films too. My favorite is John Wayne's " Stage Coach " and Clint Eastwood's " Two mules for sister Sarah " . The last film l ever watched with my father was " Shootist" by John Wayne.

MAdcox
Thank you for your unimaginable support. You are very lucky to have such a father. I love cow boy films too. My favorite is John Wayne's " Stage Coach " and Clint Eastwood's " Two mules for sister Sarah " . The last film l ever watched with my father was " Shootist" by John Wayne.
We had every John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and Jimmy Stewart western in my home growing up. But my dad's two favorites where The Rounders and Monty Walsh. Very funny and great shows if you can get your hands on them.

In three days , we had set off to the Agargao stream which ran into the Buri Ganga river . It was a beautiful water body where teal ducks and geese could always be found. With us , was Rishi , our loyal Gurkha coolie who carried a large rucksack full of shot-gun cartridges . Karim and l carried our own Ishapore 12 bore shot-guns slung on our back , while holding our client’s William Wellington Greener shot-guns in our hands. We offered our services to the clients as their loading servants . However , they politely declined , saying that they were accustomed to loading their own arms and they just wanted us to enjoy “ the show “ . This , Karim and l looked forward to. I was most curious to see how these removable choke shot-guns would work. To put it in a straight forward manner , the results were shocking in a most positive way. The brothers were excellent bird shooters and in half an hour , no less than 24 Indian teals had fallen to their shot-guns with number 1 cartridges. However , the brothers were only getting started. They changed the choke in their shot-guns and loaded them with BB cartridges. They were going to go after geese.
If only my students today in Bangladesh Shooting Federation would see what those 70 millimeter cartridges can do. The brothers were blowing those geese out of the sky with clear effortlessness. No less than eleven geese had been blown out of the sky and fallen into Agargao. However , the fun was over and now . Karim , Rishi and l had the arduous task of going into the water to collect our client’s fallen geese . This was a fairly simple task , but there were some risks in this work. You see , as l had previously mentioned , Agargao stream runs into the Buri Ganga river and occasionally a gui shaap would get into the stream. These loathsome creatures can either be described as an extremely large lizard or a fairly small crocodile and while not as dangerous as their larger cousins , they were known to cause extreme infections with their bites . I removed my satchel from my side and removed my wallet , compass and Imperial Schrade pocket knife from the pockets of my pleated cotton poplin trousers. I left my wallet and compass inside the satchel and put the pocket knife in the pocket of my cotton poplin half sleeve shirt. I also took four AAA cartridges from the satchel and put them into my shirt pocket , because the cartridges were made from paper and could not be allowed to get wet. With two more AAA cartridges loaded into my shot-gun , l followed Karim and Rishi , waist deep into the water as they collected the fallen teals and geese . For killing gui shaap , AAA cartridges were the best size and those 44 pellets would make short work of them ( the subject of a future story ) . However , today was uneventful and we all gathered the downed birds and got them back to our clients.
At night , when l returned home to change my wet clothes , l was terrified to see that three ugly , filthy Jhog ( leeches ) were clinging to my legs. The sight is fairly nauseating , but baba ( father ) was easily able to remove them from me by using tobacco juice. There were few men like father . He was my role model and he was always there for me , even in adulthood. After graduating college with a degree in Economics , when l had told my father that l did not want to work in a boring bank by wearing a neck tie , but rather wanted to be a professional Shikari , he did not refuse even once. While my mother initially had some reservations , due to the risks involved ( no mother would want her son to be eaten alive by a Royal Bengal tiger) , it was my father who convinced her to let me live my life on my own terms. But enough reminiscing. Let us proceed to the leopard Shikar.
Friend Kawshick
Considering the time your father sounds like a a generous and caring parent allowing you to follow your dream. Your mother's reaction is they of a normal mother wishing no harm to her son.
You are blessed having such wonderful parents.
Cheers my friend
Bob Nelson

I have happy memories of an Aboriginal friend diving under the surface in a freshwater creek to seek and do hand-to-hand battle with a wounded water goanna, a delicacy! My friend was successful, with not much of his own blood spilled, and there was lots of happy laughter from the rest of us who weren’t brave enough to go in!
BenKK
I do hope you had some of that goanna they are truly nice eating especially the tail. The more tender parts are usually reserved for the old people or children in the mob.
Cheers mate Bob Nelson

View attachment 309051 View attachment 309052
Leslie Herrick
The bottom rifle looks like it has the action length altered judging by the cut out in the front receiver. Is this correct and if so what is the new caliber.
Cheers mate Bob

BenKK
I do hope you had some of that goanna they are truly nice eating especially the tail. The more tender parts are usually reserved for the old people or children in the mob.
Cheers mate Bob Nelson

No, not that time. I’m not very keen on goanna and turtle - I’d prefer to give it to somebody who appreciates it and make their day. Actually, I do prefer goanna over turtle. My favourite is bernuk (turkey).

No, not that time. I’m not very keen on goanna and turtle - I’d prefer to give it to somebody who appreciates it and make their day. Actually, I do prefer goanna over turtle. My favourite is bernuk (turkey).
BenKK
Curried turtle is bloody beautiful mate, give it a go. Where are you from mate.
Cheers
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg