Tumbling Primed Brass ... Bad idea?

Personally I'd knock the primers out, clean the cases and load. The people questioning how long the primers have been hanging around if the brass is tarnished are spot on. Primers cost nothing compared to powder and bullets and it won't take long to deprime them.
Is that safe??
 
Final decision. Going to load a few tomorrow of the not so dirty ones. The more dirty ones were deprimed and currently among 50 cases currently tumbling.
 
I would also pop the primers out or find some other way of cleaning then. You will likely never set off a primer in a tumbler. You can actually take a live primer and crush it in a bench vice without setting it off. (I read it somewhere so of course I had to try it myself:E Crazy:). You need more than a little energy to initiate a primer so pushing them out will not set them off 99.999999% of the time. Its never 100% because with chemicals (especially styphenates) anything is possible, but it is usually safe to remove them.
 
Final decision. Going to load a few tomorrow of the not so dirty ones. The more dirty ones were deprimed and currently among 50 cases currently tumbling.

You may want to hit the tumbled ones with compressed air afterwards. Blast both ends of the case to remove left over dust. If you'v deprimed before tumbling, after the air, check the flash holes for lodged debris.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,314
Messages
1,572,597
Members
169,592
Latest member
digitalonetick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top