Trophy shipping costs

Plan on getting hit with airline storage fees once it gets to the US. Approx $300 per day for at least a few days. It's the new scam.
the only storage fee I had was Turkish airlines, $198, never did get an explanation if it was in Atlanta or in Istanbul, nor was the number of days specified. But looking at the flight schedules it looks like it was 2 days max.

the only storage fee I had was Turkish airlines, $198, never did get an explanation if it was in Atlanta or in Istanbul, nor was the number of days specified. But looking at the flight schedules it looks like it was 2 days max.
I think you came out decent on that one considering what has been reported lately. I'm guessing it was Atl.

I shipped leopard, mountain zebra, both full skin, leopard skull, springbok skull and hide and skull full skin Damara dik dik—Windhoek to JFK one month ago—925 US dollars on Ethiopian air. Flora and Fauna picked it up first day, no storage fees—approx 985 US dollars for clearance and import. Waiting on larger RSA shipment to come…

Plan on getting hit with airline storage fees once it gets to the US. Approx $300 per day for at least a few days. It's the new scam.

Will see what happens. I know crate will be going Turkish airlines lastI heard. Still not finalized.

It’s a crying shame that the freaking US airlines won’t Cary big 5 anymore. Delta shipped my buffalo back in 2015 I think it was the last year they shipped big 5. Since they take our tax money and the animal is legal they should have to! My last 3 shipments have come on Turkish airlines and no problem with them yet. End of a slight rant!!

I posted on a similar thread a while back about the costs of getting my crate from RSA to middle of nowhere Wyoming. I will give this update and will also agree with anybody above that has said that storage fees are a scam.

The crate contained shoulder mounts and backskins from kudu, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, springbok, impala, gemsbok, and blesbok. The shipping from Johannesburg to San Francisco was handled by Badger Cargo on Turkish airlines at a total cost of just over $4100 including insurance and such. This was a little higher than what I had anticipated, but with all the horror stories of shipping costs it wasn't unexpected. The crate left Joberg on July 31 and arrived in San Francisco on August 2. I contacted my import agent, who I am not going to throw under the bus yet by naming them, and they said they were on it. After several phone calls where I was told they were on it and would be in touch in a day or two and never receiving a returned call, on August 22 they finally had cleared all the ag and customs inspection. I received my invoice and it included $4125 in storage fees. The rest of the costs were about $1500, which I thought was reasonable. I immediately called my importer and asked about this and was told that Turkish airlines had lost some paperwork and that is what caused the delay saying they would file for at least a partial refund of those costs, but to pay the bill so we could get them out of storage and stop it from continuing to accumulate.

As of today, Sept 29, after a couple of calls by me to my importer there has been nothing done. I am not sure where the blame lies here, but I feel at this time that the importer isn't really trying and is just telling me that he is working on this to satisfy me until I give up. I know they say that the importer just has to pass those costs along, but it makes me suspicious to say the least.

Once this is resolved one way or the other, I will be back and name the importer just so everybody can be fore warned, and hear the final outcome.

Tracey, that is crazy but not expected, they loose the paperwork and you pay for it. Hopefully you can get that knocked down a bit and get your trophies home safe and sound. Good luck!

I posted on a similar thread a while back about the costs of getting my crate from RSA to middle of nowhere Wyoming. I will give this update and will also agree with anybody above that has said that storage fees are a scam.

The crate contained shoulder mounts and backskins from kudu, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, springbok, impala, gemsbok, and blesbok. The shipping from Johannesburg to San Francisco was handled by Badger Cargo on Turkish airlines at a total cost of just over $4100 including insurance and such. This was a little higher than what I had anticipated, but with all the horror stories of shipping costs it wasn't unexpected. The crate left Joberg on July 31 and arrived in San Francisco on August 2. I contacted my import agent, who I am not going to throw under the bus yet by naming them, and they said they were on it. After several phone calls where I was told they were on it and would be in touch in a day or two and never receiving a returned call, on August 22 they finally had cleared all the ag and customs inspection. I received my invoice and it included $4125 in storage fees. The rest of the costs were about $1500, which I thought was reasonable. I immediately called my importer and asked about this and was told that Turkish airlines had lost some paperwork and that is what caused the delay saying they would file for at least a partial refund of those costs, but to pay the bill so we could get them out of storage and stop it from continuing to accumulate.

As of today, Sept 29, after a couple of calls by me to my importer there has been nothing done. I am not sure where the blame lies here, but I feel at this time that the importer isn't really trying and is just telling me that he is working on this to satisfy me until I give up. I know they say that the importer just has to pass those costs along, but it makes me suspicious to say the least.

Once this is resolved one way or the other, I will be back and name the importer just so everybody can be fore warned, and hear the final outcome.
Are you saying you paid $4,100 in shipping cost, $4,125 in storage fees, and $1,500 in other fees for a total of $9,725 to get your trophies home from RSA?

I shipped leopard, mountain zebra, both full skin, leopard skull, springbok skull and hide and skull full skin Damara dik dik—Windhoek to JFK one month ago—925 US dollars on Ethiopian air. Flora and Fauna picked it up first day, no storage fees—approx 985 US dollars for clearance and import. Waiting on larger RSA shipment to come…
That was a great deal !!

I had something very similar happen to me with Delta in 2018. That's when I first learned of "storage fees". Since I had emails from Delta admitting they were at fault for misplacing the paperwork, after multiple attempts I found someone that actually helped my file a claim which they PAID. I was shocked to say the least. Morale of story- at least try.

Yes, that is correct
I'm going through the same thing. I have four euro mounts and one rug. These arrived in San Francisco around September 14th. They then sat there until now, and now I'm being told I have $3,900 in storage charges. This is absolutely ridiculous. Those storage charges are equal to my taxidermy, airfare, ground shipping, and custom broker charges combined. This will make getting my trophies home nearly as expensive as my cape buffalo hunt. This sours the entire experience for me. I never ever would have paid $8,000 to bring my trophies home. It is just ridiculous they can sit on my trophies for 3 weeks and then charge me that much money for a small crate.

I haven’t re-read the entire thread but on a few of the extortion fees (sorry) storage fees the common denominator seems to be San Francisco. When I get more time I’m going to re-read the whole thread.

I thought paying 500$ for delivery service from lax to my house which is 25 minutes away was a very expensive day? No storage fees as they picked it up when the crate was released.

At what airports? I’ve cleared two shipments this year one from Zimbabwe and one from Spain through Chicago with minimal storage fees.

My friend had the same thing happen in San Francisco with the storage charges. He told them he would only pay a week and that they could feel free to discard the container or accept his payment. After a month they accepted his offer. These storage charges are mostly a scam plain and simple.

HH

Differences in pricing is amazing!
Several days ago I paid in full for shipping three capes: waterbuck, eland, steenbok - with total cost 843 EUR. (for Europe)

Few years ago, 2 capes, one skin (zebra) 2 sculls, something like 600-700 EUR.

Here is my crate that arrived last week:

Image1667402767.023736.jpg

Cape Buff, Gemsbok, Impala, Black Wildabeest - all Euros.

I just got a quote from Badger Cargo and my crate is 64 kilos and the price from Polokwane, SA to Chicago, Ill is 814.00 us, then got an extra quote for clearing and shipping to my home. but I never gave them my address unless they looked me up. but I thought I would need to use Trophy Shippers or Coppersmith to clear US Customs before picking it up to ship home or for me to pick up 890 mile drive to Chicago, so I am a little confused on all this my first time

Who’d you use to ship out of Namibia? I’ve got one coming shortly from there with another coming out of RSA as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrodieLazz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.