Trophy Shipping Air vs Ocean

Air. Plain and simple.....:cool:

What is the latest consensus on this shipping dilemma?

The only problem I had last year was with the Airlines itself my trophies were shipped by Rex Freight out of Port Elizabeth on SA air due to the fact that Delta was holding up shipments in Jburg for a week or more. SA Air got it shipped out ok but when it got to Dulles some Idiot sent it to New York in stead of Atlanta where it was suppose to go, so it set up there for a week or so waiting for US Fish & Wildlife to release it for shipment to Atlanta. The Good part was the receiving agency held it for me in storage until I returned from the East Cape from my friend Rusty's wedding at no charge.

SSI would have I think the best insight on this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Phil,

We get this question often so thank you for the opportunity to share some information....

Hunters spend so much money on a hunt and cut themselves short on the most IMPORTANT PART--Shipping!!!

Deciding between Ocean or Air
1) Airfreight is simple with less things to go wrong and can arrive into a port closer to home.
2) Ocean Freight is more risky:
a) Though crated, sea exposes the hides to salty air and will get tossed around by the waves.
b) The clearing the process is longer and has to go through other processes you pay for, that do not occur with airfreight: (X-ray, Vaccis, and stripping on top of normal clearing charges)

If you are thinking of clearing yourself, keep a few things in mind: a) when you pick up your trophies at the terminal, the transpotation insurance ceases....any damage to the trophies is your responsibility, b) inland transportation rates are less than what it would cost you to take a day off from work, round trip gas and c) you still have to pay the fees to the government agencies.

Last but not least, we have recently learned that the cost for ocean shipping is comparable to airfreight.....PM me for a quote.

***Fun Fact/Tip of the Day--the reason ocean freight was very popular many years ago, is because the planes then were smaller than today and ocean was the only way to go.

Hope this helps......

Thanks,
Robert

Hi Phil,

We get this question often so thank you for the opportunity to share some information....

Hunters spend so much money on a hunt and cut themselves short on the most IMPORTANT PART--Shipping!!!

Deciding between Ocean or Air
1) Airfreight is simple with less things to go wrong and can arrive into a port closer to home.
2) Ocean Freight is more risky:
a) Though crated, sea exposes the hides to salty air and will get tossed around by the waves.
b) The clearing the process is longer and has to go through other processes you pay for, that do not occur with airfreight: (X-ray, Vaccis, and stripping on top of normal clearing charges)

If you are thinking of clearing yourself, keep a few things in mind: a) when you pick up your trophies at the terminal, the transpotation insurance ceases....any damage to the trophies is your responsibility, b) inland transportation rates are less than what it would cost you to take a day off from work, round trip gas and c) you still have to pay the fees to the government agencies.

Last but not least, we have recently learned that the cost for ocean shipping is comparable to airfreight.....PM me for a quote.

***Fun Fact/Tip of the Day--the reason ocean freight was very popular many years ago, is because the planes then were smaller than today and ocean was the only way to go.

Hope this helps......

Thanks,
Robert
Good explanation.....Thanks Robert!

Last edited by a moderator:
The pleasure is ours, Sir...
Knowledge is "POWER"....
Have a great weekend.......

Well My stuff is in the air as we speak also sent from Rex Freight and being cleared by Coppersmith in Dallas 2 large crates 2 full mounts, 1 flatskin 17 shoulder mounts , 3 skulls on shields. Freight was $7651. I contacted SSI but they were $1000 higher . Not saying they are better I just couldn't afford the extra$$.
I have read this forum tirelessly and all shipping info is older so to pass along my experience. I wanted ocean freight as I received a quote from ABF through a business account I was quoted $4500 which got my attention well after 2 weeks of emails and phone conversations.... oh we don't have credentials to clear them in the US... but I did get a quote and it was only $1800 less for ocean freight which was not enough to persuade me as we receive shipments from Japan on a regular basis and 2 out of 10 are moisture free which with finished trophies is a must and that is pretty sh**ty odds in my book and storage fees can eat you savings up very quickly.

Well My stuff is in the air as we speak also sent from Rex Freight and being cleared by Coppersmith in Dallas 2 large crates 2 full mounts, 1 flatskin 17 shoulder mounts , 3 skulls on shields. Freight was $7651. I contacted SSI but they were $1000 higher . Not saying they are better I just couldn't afford the extra$$.
I have read this forum tirelessly and all shipping info is older so to pass along my experience. I wanted ocean freight as I received a quote from ABF through a business account I was quoted $4500 which got my attention well after 2 weeks of emails and phone conversations.... oh we don't have credentials to clear them in the US... but I did get a quote and it was only $1800 less for ocean freight which was not enough to persuade me as we receive shipments from Japan on a regular basis and 2 out of 10 are moisture free which with finished trophies is a must and that is pretty sh**ty odds in my book and storage fees can eat you savings up very quickly.
Please post some pics of your trophies once you get them in and give us a post as to how the shipping and clearing all went.

was quoted $6200 US for air freight , and $4036 aussie , for sea
the aifreight didn't include insurance,or customs charges.
the ocean freight is to the wharf ,in Melbourne , including customs charges and insurencs.
but excluding gst ,so plus 10%
that's 2 crates one big , 3.3metres x2.2mx x 1.45m
the other 2m x 2m x 1.4m
pity the third crate cant come home till this government pulls its head out of its ass
that crate is 2.5 x 1.6. x1.6metres

I'm not pointing fingers but all places I had quotes all had insurance figured in except one and the way I understand it already has insurance through whoever ships it that they just charge a bogus fee cause you don't know otherwise they were going to charge me an additional $1200 for insurance .

Dear Kent,
Welcome to AH! Unlike other forums, this forum is quite helpful with exchange of accurate information. It is important to us and for all the followers to know the facts.
1. You contacted us with very little information and wanted us to quote airfreight to you. In our reply to you, we were crystal clear that the quote was a 'guess estimate' not knowing what were the trophies or the weight (you provided only dims). Further, you are comparing an actual invoice to our estimate quote based on limited information. You never even came back to us and in fact, we called you twice as a courtesy. The next we hear from you is here on the forum, stating we are higher. What is your agenda when you don't have the facts to present a true comparison?
2. Regarding Insurance, my email to you stated that once you made a decision, we would give you a quote from door to door which was optional as an alternative to (not in addition to) what the shipper offers (only to the US port of arrival). I don't know where you are getting your information regarding insurance. Our insurance company is a US company so that in the event of a claim, we are dealing with a US company. Further, in the event of a claim, who do you think is going to make the claim and handle for you until you get paid?

Attachments

• Shaw email.pdf
    70.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Quote to KENT SHAW.pdf
    107.5 KB · Views: 160
pretty sure you need to branch out ,in this direction , young fella

Sorry you took it the wrong way was not bashing you by any means. If that's what you feel then I apologize. I'm not on here get in a pissing match. From the information I was given via email and phone conversations sounded like the quotes were " pretty accurate but may only change couple hundred dollars based on exact weights" so with that info I made my decision.

I realize this a super old post here, but has much changed with the customs clearing?
I've been quoted $1300 from some of these more popular "Trophy " clearing agents to clear my one crate of non cites animals through LAX. I've also got quotes online from customs clearing agents near LAX that'll do the clearing for $400, thats a pretty big difference. Is there anything special that the Trophy agents do or know that the other folks don't? I'm I could almost get a cheap tickets to LAX, spend a night, clear it myself, rent a uhaul and deliver it to the DHX Hawaii terminal for less than $1300!
Anyone recommend a clearing agent in the LAX area that they've used themselves?
Aloha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois