Trophies arrived from Highveld Taxidermy

I used Relive and was very pleased.

Is the shield a solid piece of wood? I'm thinking about trying to make one.

Thank you for sharing. Those are great. Sounds like you had good success with them. Seems like a few years back there was a post on AH about complaint with their logistics company (Oxi). I am heading over in May, considered using them. Really cool stuff with the shields & spears.

I saw that post you were talking about too. If it is the one I think it is it was about the insurance coverage. His mounts were badly damaged by some idiot with a fork truck in the USA. I used Oxi-logistics to ship my mounts to the USA and their paperwork clearly states that the insurance coverage bought through them covered damage only to the port of entry which for me was Chicago. The mounts were air shipped from Joburg to Atlanta to Chicago. Once in Chicago I had an agent working on my behalf that I had given legal rights to represent me walk my mounts through all the inspections required by the USA. I made damn sure the mounts were insured on this end too. A few extra dollars spent for coverage on this end was well worth the money for my peace of mind.

Congratulations on some really great trophies. I've used Highveld before and was impressed by all aspects of their business. What safari company did you hunt with?

I hunted with an outfit called Warthog Safaris in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. I you do a search for my Posts you will see the write up I did for the hunt and an additional run up to Zimbabwe and Botswana to see Victoria Falls and some other sight seeing type stuff.

I used Relive and was very pleased.

Is the shield a solid piece of wood? I'm thinking about trying to make one.

When I saw the shields in the Highveld catalog I thought they were teak and was worried about the weight and trying to hang them on a drywall wall. They are wood but whatever the species is it is a lighter wood like pine.

Nice room to displace the animals, it looks very classy.

This is one I owe my wife for big time. Love you dear!!!!! She allowed me to hangs these trophies in our living room at home. It was the only room in our home with a vaulted ceiling high enough for the Kudu mount. I had planned on having skull mounts done on all but the Kudu and Gemsbuck. She like the mounts at the lodge where we hunted so much she insisted I spend the money on the shoulder mounts. She came along for the entire hunt so they gave her as many memories as me for the trip. I shot the Kudu on her birthday so she considers it to be hers. She had told my guide Werner that it was her birthday today and she wanted me to get that Kudu that day as her birthday present. The guy busted his rear end and made it happen for her. (and me!!!) I did get a couple of skull mounts done too on a blue wildebeest and a baboon. The skin from that Wildebeest is awesome looking with the dark bars and gold tints on the gray fur. I am still trying to come up with a place for that without taking over the whole house on her.

cptkirk, I'm glad you and your wife can share the memories of that special hunting trip! I would love to come home everyday and see my mounts like that too.

Great stuff!! I have hunted with Warthog Safaris also. Tienie and Ananja run an awesome operation! Highveld has done good work for me also.
And Enysse, you are correct--a wife who allows and participates in the quest and being able to appreciate it daily and relive the memories daily is priceless.

Not the greatest picture...

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimber12N1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH