Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA, New Zealand, Namibia, Spain
I have limited experience on different triggers and adjustments that have been made to them to "improve" them. It seems to me that when hunting in Africa triggers are adjusted so there is no takeup slack and are adjusted to a very light pull. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. I personally prefer a tiny bit of slack and about 3 to 4 # pull. Anyone care to comment and educate me on this?

...I personally prefer...
Like BRICKBURN and Red Leg have said, it's what YOU prefer not what others like.
If you are comfortable with a trigger that has take up and a 3-4# pull, so be it.
It's what you like, are used to and will shoot best with that counts.
If you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing, take it to someone who does to make it the way you want it.

Sorry, I did not come across, or convey the idea I'd intended to.
I do not plan to modify my trigger from factory. Should I ever intend to, I would have to discuss it with a gunsmith first and should he recommend a change, a gunsmith would do it. Not me.
Having said that, I have encountered several rifles that have had their triggers modified and all of them were in Africa. These changes were to reduce the take-up and lighten the trigger pull. The question is: What is it about Africa that causes someone to modify the trigger?

Sorry, I did not come across, or convey the idea I'd intended to.
I do not plan to modify my trigger from factory. Should I ever intend to, I would have to discuss it with a gunsmith first and should he recommend a change, a gunsmith would do it. Not me.
Having said that, I have encountered several rifles that have had their triggers modified and all of them were in Africa. These changes were to reduce the take-up and lighten the trigger pull. The question is: What is it about Africa that causes someone to modify the trigger?

I don't know what Africa would have to do with it. I don't want a trigger that's too heavy. When it's heavy you start to yank on the rifle pulling you off target. I don't want it too light either. I prefer to feel the trigger just a bit before it lets go. This has nothing to do with where I'm hunting.

I'm with PHIL on this, it's just what I prefer and has nothing to do with what or where I hunt.
I want to be able to predict when the firearm will go off by feel and if all my firearms are set up nearly the same it make it possible.
I also do a lot of dry fire practice to get a good feel for the trigger.
That way my time at the range isn't spent trying to figure out when it's going to break.

Country life,

Ok then, good show.

A company NECG makes a dandy single set trigger that can be adjusted down to about 2+ pounds and set at around 4 oz..

For me I kinda like a bit of travel and heavier pull with a big magnum, 378 and bigger with up to 7 pounds pull.

Canjar unfortunately went out of business.

Country life,

Ok then, good show.

A company NECG makes a dandy single set trigger that can be adjusted down to about 2+ pounds and set at around 4 oz..

For me I kinda like a bit of travel and heavier pull with a big magnum, 378 and bigger with up to 7 pounds pull.

Canjar unfortunately went out of business.
Dang, Von. I couldn't hit anything with a 7 lb trigger. :( Not recommending it for anyone else but I like 1 to 1.5 lbs on hunting rifles with the disclaimer that to be safe and proficient lighter triggers usually require A LOT of shooting and extreme vigilance on what is the position of the safety.

Hahahahaha.

I hear what you're saying, most can't.

That single set I mentioned is a good set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!