Travelling with a suppressor

Obviously talk to an attorney, I believe you can do a single shot trust. That would allow you to sell said suppressor to someone without going through all the regular red tape. The reason is you are then selling the trust.

That is the way it was explained to me.
While people mentioned the possibility of this, I would not recommend it. I'm not a lawyer but in other discussions I read about them, It was raised that this action could be seen as tax avoidance and be subject to legal action. It was also raised that with the Single Shot Trust, there is also no way to remove yourself from it. So the theory was that if you add someone to the trust to sell them a suppressor then you also may be liable for anything they do with it.

In short, strongly recommend against trying to use a trust as a way to sell a suppressor, or any NFA item, without going through red tape. A trust is a great way to share with family or very close/trusted friends, but not to sell them.

So, related to this, does anyone have suggestions for Suppressor manufacturers in South Africa to be able to do research on brands and which ones to check with a PH for buying in advance of a trip? Been considering getting a newer can anyways to handle over 30 cal, wouldn't mind a <$300 purchase of one in SA to leave with my PH. Want to find a good one what won't affect accuracy (I know POI will shift, just was it consistent)

Reactions: MTA
So, related to this, does anyone have suggestions for Suppressor manufacturers in South Africa to be able to do research on brands and which ones to check with a PH for buying in advance of a trip? Been considering getting a newer can anyways to handle over 30 cal, wouldn't mind a <$300 purchase of one in SA to leave with my PH. Want to find a good one what won't affect accuracy (I know POI will shift, just was it consistent)
I was told that aimSport makes good ones. They are Swedish I believe. That is the one I went with:

This is a .30cal can but they offer this suppressor in larger diameters. The one thing that may be a concern depending on what the end of you barrel looks like is that these suppressors fit over the end of the barrel about halfway into the length of the suppressor and then the threads start. So I don't believe these types will work out if you have a sight ramp on the end of your barrel. I am unsure if the thread on end style that is ubiquitous in the US for suppressors can be found there?

Best to contact your PH

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.57.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.57.40 AM.png
    493.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.57.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.57.42 AM.png
    803.8 KB · Views: 43
Aimsport is a good can… depending on what model you want they’re between $310-$350 at the current exchange rate.. they are indeed Swedish made..

https://safarioutdoor.co.za/shootin...aimsport-triton-no-5-7-7mm-14x1-57077114.html

There are several South African made suppressors as well… many are very good.. and many can be had very, very affordably…

This one is a 30 cal can and is less than $100 at the current exchange rate…

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.58.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.58.29 AM.png
    456.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.58.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.58.32 AM.png
    673.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.58.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.58.40 AM.png
    575.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.58.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.58.42 AM.png
    609.2 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for recs. Seems it may be an issue finding 9/16x24 to match my Blaser barrel threading.

Illegal in Botswana, I read the Act, it is clear.

Thanks for recs. Seems it may be an issue finding 9/16x24 to match my Blaser barrel threading.
contact Silencer central 605-610-8898 they should have one or can make one, if that does not work out contact me there is another company that makes weird ones but I would have to do some looking. I am talking about an adapter to your Barrell then you can use a standard 5/8x24

Did you read any of the actual posts made?

What has been said over and over and over again is...

Yes it can be done..

Do it right.. the penalties for doing it wrong are stiff...

For me, a guy that exports controlled items as a significant part of his job and whose name is often on the "go to jail line" if its done wrong.. I dont do it.. not out of fear (I absolutely know the process.. I have completed more DSP 5's in the last 12 months, and over the course of a career put in more man hours working with export attorneys, attending export conferences, working with BIS, DDTC, etc than I'd guess the entire membership of this board has completed in their lifetimes)... but because there are better solutions in place (for me)...

So.. once again.. if someone wants to head outside the US with a suppressor.. the advice is.. do it.. but do it correctly.. dont think its as simple as adding it to your 4457 and jumping on a plane.. if you dont do it correctly, the penalties are severe (both in the US and abroad).. if you got away with doing it incorrectly in the past, that doesnt mean youll get away with doing it incorrectly in the future..
You are correct in that NO ONE should do anything they are uncomfortable with.

I’d even be reluctantly happy paying the $200 tax.. if the government could figure out how to make the current 9-12 month wait go away.

Oh it's not a question of them figuring it out. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg