Travel agent fee

Joedad

AH member
Reaction score
Media
What’s a fair travel agent fee? I’ve had money on airfare for 2 years. April 2020 trip to SA canceled due to no flights (Covid). April 2021 trip canceled same reason. For September 2021 the airlines (Delta) canceled return flight shortening hunt by a day plus a half day for Covid test. Did not want to cut a 6 day hunt that short. Even though we are planning to go April 2022 I decided to ask for a refund. Each time I supplied agent with itinerary, date, time and even flight number. Each time I was told there was a price increase. Every time there was a cancellation I found out on my own a told the agent. Agency only booked the airfare, nothing else. No side trips, no traveling with a gun etc. I was returned 79% of my charges. I asked and was told that the $540.00 each (2 travelers) was for “services”. I could have done this much myself but first timer to hunt Africa and thought I should use a professional travel expert on Africa travel( which they claim they are). I realize they are in business but fee seems excessive to me; am I off base? Using my travel insurance just breaks even and I can modify the policy for 2022 trip which makes better sense. Looking for honest opinions.

$540 seems to be expensive. @TRAVEL EXPRESS charged $300 for initial booking as they don't get commission from Emirates but they also took care of all firearms paperwork. There is a fee of $50 per flight change.

Gracy Travel charged $300/person.

For me, it was worth every penny.

Seems high to me. I have used Gracy and Travel express. Both are great. I don’t recall paying fees at this level with either of them.

I just booked with Gracy for next July and they charge $300. I probably could've just booked it myself but for $300 I'll gladly put the stress in someone else's capable hands. If they woulda charged $540, I'd be thinking it over.

Gravy earned her $300 from me two weeks ago. Flight cancellations and delay had her busy. I ended up going to Amsterdam and them KLM to Johannesburg. But I got there on time.

I've used @TRAVEL EXPRESS in the past. Since there was no discussion about "fees" I concluded it was all built into the airfare. But I'm here to tell you that whatever they were, was more than worth the money. When Covid jacked up our trip tp Argentina I was refunded everything but $25 which a local Argentinian airline charged for a flight cancellation. If I ever travel again Travel Express will be making all of the arrangements.

Last edited by a moderator:
TWG ran $300 for me and $200 for my wife. Extra $100 on mine was due to taking the rifles.

So, in reading alĺ the replies, if I were in your shoes I'd be a little miffed for sure. If Travel Express and Gracy charge $300 and take care of everything, then why the hell would you pay $540 when you did all the work and then ended up having to cancel in the end anyway?

Thanks for the kind words @Shootist43 ! I want to treat every one of our clients as I would want to be treated! My flat fee for a standard economy class international ticket (regardless of taking guns or not) is $150 per person. And I do build our agency fee into the pricing, so it's not a surprise add on in the end :) And of course there are no secrets when it comes to what that fee is for, or what the breakdown of any charge is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you