Transitioning To A Blaser R8 - A Two Months / 500 Rounds Review

BigSteve57

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
Hunted
USA(GA,MD,MT,PA,TN), Namibia
In the video either I missed it, or they said nothing about needing to change stocks between different barrel diameter groups. He implied you could go straight from 222 to 500 Jeffrey with only a barrel, bolt and magazine change. I guess so as we’ve mentioned if you don't mind the gap.
Typical sales pitch leaving the details out! :cry:A couple of mm per side doesnt seem like much. Id like to see one up close.
Hmm...maybe half the flat on top of the stock. Maybe it is a lot?:unsure:

View attachment 385467
"He implied you could go straight from 222 to 500 Jeffrey with only a barrel, bolt and magazine change."

I saw the Blaser factory representatives do that* in front of me at the 2012 NRA show in St Louis, MO. It is the demonstration that sold me on the platform.

*I can not exactly remember what the starting caliber was, it was one of the .22x's, but I recall the last barrel was 500 Jeffrey since I never heard of that round prior to that demonstration.

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
OK, forget the ”floppy” thumbs! I used all 4 fingers and it works! Maybe I should just cut my old thumbs off to keep them out of the way! No, then how could I pick my nose!
Thanks One day... for making me think my process over!
Now I‘ll just practice, practice, practice my newly learned 4 finger method!
I have a 7mm Rem Mag and 375. Both can easily be loaded by simply pressing the cartridges straight down into the magazine with one thumb. Not as easy as pushing a round down into a model 70, but not that bad at all. I can understand that the smaller diameter rounds would have stiffer magazine lips due to the thicker "plastic" in that area. So maybe anything under the belted mag rounds are a bit stiffer to load.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Toby, you're young, healthy and a strong guy. I’m “ long in the tooth” and, sadly, getting wimpier every day! But the correct method helps. Not sure how long I can “cock” the firing pin, nor how quickly in a bad situation. But the good news is I can still learn from others (hopefully!)
I’m enjoying learning from your post. Thanks for starting it!

I would appreciate any input from anyone with a Blaser and the same calibers I have (223, 6.5 Creedmoor, 30-06, 375 H&H) of any factory or reloads (preferably) that have worked well for you. I am trying to achieve less than 1” 5 shot groups in the 223 and 6.5 and less than 1 1/2” 3 shot groups with the 30-06 and 375 H&H. I don't believe that is to high of expectations for this expensive of a rifle.

To be up front, I like my Blaser if for no other reason than it is so compact and easier to drag through an airport in a Pelican 1700 than a full length rifle in a Pelican 1750.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Toby, you're young, healthy and a strong guy. I’m “ long in the tooth” and, sadly, getting wimpier every day! But the correct method helps. Not sure how long I can “cock” the firing pin, nor how quickly in a bad situation. But the good news is I can still learn from others (hopefully!)
I’m enjoying learning from your post. Thanks for starting it!

I would appreciate any input from anyone with a Blaser and the same calibers I have (223, 6.5 Creedmoor, 30-06, 375 H&H) of any factory or reloads (preferably) that have worked well for you. I am trying to achieve less than 1” 5 shot groups in the 223 and 6.5 and less than 1 1/2” 3 shot groups with the 30-06 and 375 H&H. I don't believe that is to high of expectations for this expensive of a rifle.

To be up front, I like my Blaser if for no other reason than it is so compact and easier to drag through an airport in a Pelican 1700 than a full length rifle in a Pelican 1750.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hey partner - making sure I have this correct, but are you having difficulty getting MOA type accuracy with yours?

If so, in .375, the Federal Safari Swift A-Frame 300 gr load is a sub-MOA load in my rifle (as is their Woodleigh Hydro) in the standard weight configuration. Don't have the other calibers.

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
If so, in .375, the Federal Safari Swift A-Frame 300 gr load is a sub-MOA load in my rifle

RedLeg, good info! It just so happens I have a half box left of those. I havent tried them yet. In my MRC, they are the fastest (and very accurate as in 3 in 3/4”) factory round I have tried. Thanks! They will go on the top of my list.

Yes to the lack of MOA issue. Checked barrel tightness on all barrels. Checked scopes and mounts. I’m just use to finding a load at least MOA. Maybe Im just getting too old. I only started having to wear glasses this time last year. But even with glasses my other rifles still seem to be more accurate.
Just looking for those ”magic” loads.

Last edited:

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
RedLeg, good info! It just so happens I have a half box left of those. I havent tried them yet. In my MRC, they are the fastest (and very accurate as in 3 in 3/4”) factory round I have tried. Thanks! They will go on the top of my list.

Yes to the lack of MOA issue. Checked barrel tightness on all barrels. Checked scopes and mounts. I’m just use to finding a load at least MOA. Maybe Im just getting too old. I only started having to wear glasses this time last year. But even with glasses my other rifles still seem to be more accurate.
Just looking for those ”magic” loads.
Got it. And fully understand the inexorable qualities of this whole aging thing. :confused:

The 200 gr Hornady ELD-X in my .300 Win Mag is a factory sub-MOA load as well. You might try the 178 gr 30-06 version. I have a new .257 Win Mag barrel for which I am still searching for that "magic" load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnyBandy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.