Transitioning To A Blaser R8 - A Two Months / 500 Rounds Review

In the video either I missed it, or they said nothing about needing to change stocks between different barrel diameter groups. He implied you could go straight from 222 to 500 Jeffrey with only a barrel, bolt and magazine change. I guess so as we’ve mentioned if you don't mind the gap.
Typical sales pitch leaving the details out! :cry:A couple of mm per side doesnt seem like much. Id like to see one up close.
Hmm...maybe half the flat on top of the stock. Maybe it is a lot?:unsure:

View attachment 385467
"He implied you could go straight from 222 to 500 Jeffrey with only a barrel, bolt and magazine change."

I saw the Blaser factory representatives do that* in front of me at the 2012 NRA show in St Louis, MO. It is the demonstration that sold me on the platform.

*I can not exactly remember what the starting caliber was, it was one of the .22x's, but I recall the last barrel was 500 Jeffrey since I never heard of that round prior to that demonstration.

OK, forget the ”floppy” thumbs! I used all 4 fingers and it works! Maybe I should just cut my old thumbs off to keep them out of the way! No, then how could I pick my nose!
Thanks One day... for making me think my process over!
Now I‘ll just practice, practice, practice my newly learned 4 finger method!
I have a 7mm Rem Mag and 375. Both can easily be loaded by simply pressing the cartridges straight down into the magazine with one thumb. Not as easy as pushing a round down into a model 70, but not that bad at all. I can understand that the smaller diameter rounds would have stiffer magazine lips due to the thicker "plastic" in that area. So maybe anything under the belted mag rounds are a bit stiffer to load.

Toby, you're young, healthy and a strong guy. I’m “ long in the tooth” and, sadly, getting wimpier every day! But the correct method helps. Not sure how long I can “cock” the firing pin, nor how quickly in a bad situation. But the good news is I can still learn from others (hopefully!)
I’m enjoying learning from your post. Thanks for starting it!

I would appreciate any input from anyone with a Blaser and the same calibers I have (223, 6.5 Creedmoor, 30-06, 375 H&H) of any factory or reloads (preferably) that have worked well for you. I am trying to achieve less than 1” 5 shot groups in the 223 and 6.5 and less than 1 1/2” 3 shot groups with the 30-06 and 375 H&H. I don't believe that is to high of expectations for this expensive of a rifle.

To be up front, I like my Blaser if for no other reason than it is so compact and easier to drag through an airport in a Pelican 1700 than a full length rifle in a Pelican 1750.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Toby, you're young, healthy and a strong guy. I’m “ long in the tooth” and, sadly, getting wimpier every day! But the correct method helps. Not sure how long I can “cock” the firing pin, nor how quickly in a bad situation. But the good news is I can still learn from others (hopefully!)

I would appreciate any input from anyone with a Blaser and the same calibers I have (223, 6.5 Creedmoor, 30-06, 375 H&H) of any factory or reloads (preferably) that have worked well for you. I am trying to achieve less than 1” 5 shot groups in the 223 and 6.5 and less than 1 1/2” 3 shot groups with the 30-06 and 375 H&H. I don't believe that is to high of expectations for this expensive of a rifle.

To be up front, I like my Blaser if for no other reason than it is so compact and easier to drag through an airport in a Pelican 1700 than a full length rifle in a Pelican 1750.

Hey partner - making sure I have this correct, but are you having difficulty getting MOA type accuracy with yours?

If so, in .375, the Federal Safari Swift A-Frame 300 gr load is a sub-MOA load in my rifle (as is their Woodleigh Hydro) in the standard weight configuration. Don't have the other calibers.

If so, in .375, the Federal Safari Swift A-Frame 300 gr load is a sub-MOA load in my rifle

RedLeg, good info! It just so happens I have a half box left of those. I havent tried them yet. In my MRC, they are the fastest (and very accurate as in 3 in 3/4”) factory round I have tried. Thanks! They will go on the top of my list.

Yes to the lack of MOA issue. Checked barrel tightness on all barrels. Checked scopes and mounts. I’m just use to finding a load at least MOA. Maybe Im just getting too old. I only started having to wear glasses this time last year. But even with glasses my other rifles still seem to be more accurate.
Just looking for those ”magic” loads.

Last edited:
RedLeg, good info! It just so happens I have a half box left of those. I havent tried them yet. In my MRC, they are the fastest (and very accurate as in 3 in 3/4”) factory round I have tried. Thanks! They will go on the top of my list.

Yes to the lack of MOA issue. Checked barrel tightness on all barrels. Checked scopes and mounts. I’m just use to finding a load at least MOA. Maybe Im just getting too old. I only started having to wear glasses this time last year. But even with glasses my other rifles still seem to be more accurate.
Got it. And fully understand the inexorable qualities of this whole aging thing. :confused:

The 200 gr Hornady ELD-X in my .300 Win Mag is a factory sub-MOA load as well. You might try the 178 gr 30-06 version. I have a new .257 Win Mag barrel for which I am still searching for that "magic" load.

You may be interested in this exercise earlier in the week.....

Zeroing 30-06 Blaser R8​

Decided to vary the normal 150 grain round(home load and factory) as I shoot everything from Roe to driven boar with this rifle, so I obtained Scierra 120 grain, 220 grain standard bullets and Barnes TSX 168 grain copper bullets. Shot all 3 round groups at 50 yards. Scope (Swarovski Z6i 2.5x15x56) settings untouched throuhjout the session. Vhitavouri 150 powder used for all. Same primers and Hardy moderator.

Findings: (ignore the two shots at the zero circle - me playing with 2 odd loads) - suprised that the three different bullets all shoot to the near enough the same point with so much difference in weight. (TSX round at 5 -0-clock was operator error)

My results for best loads are as follows-

120 Scierra - 56 grains V150
220 g Scierra Prohunter - 52.5 grains V150
168 g Barnes TSX copper - 54 grains V150

there is room for refinement but I'm not sure its needed.

All powder ranges taken from the Vhitavouri manual. and i have no idea on speed as I haven't got a chrono - all cases inspected and no signs of overpressure etc.

Really enjoyed the evening and learnt a lot.

3006_20210602_183649.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeroing 30-06 Blaser R8​

Decided to vary the normal 150 grain round(home load and factory) as I shoot everything from Roe to driven boar with this rifle, so I obtained Scierra 120 grain, 220 grain standard bullets and Barnes TSX 168 grain copper bullets. Shot all 3 round groups at 50 yards. Scope (Swarovski Z6i 2.5x15x56) settings untouched throuhjout the session. Vhitavouri 150 powder used for all. Same primers and Hardy moderator.

Findings: (ignore the two shots at the zero circle - me playing with 2 odd loads) - suprised that the three different bullets all shoot to the near enough the same point with so much difference in weight. (TSX round at 5 -0-clock was operator error)

All powder ranges taken from the Vhitavouri manual. and i have no idea on speed as I haven't got a chrono - all cases inspected and no signs of overpressure etc.

Excellent info! Thanks.

Zeroing 30-06 Blaser R8​

My problem with 50 yard groups is that they tend to hide what can be fairly significant differences that can be dramatic at longer ranges. For instance, there are several in your test groups that are already 1 MOA. Any of those groups will have expanded far more dramatically and would likely look far less interesting and correlative at 100 or 200 yards than those sub-MOA loads. I would suspect the vertical separation would also quickly become much more meaningful between the two bullet weights. It does seem that your barrel is happiest with faster loads. Those 52.5 and 56 gr loads would likely look very nice indeed at longer ranges.

My problem with 50 yard groups is that they tend to hide what can be fairly significant differences that can be dramatic at longer ranges. For instance, there are several in your test groups that are already 1 MOA. Any of those groups will have expanded far more dramatically and would likely look far less interesting and correlative at 100 or 200 yards than those sub-MOA loads. I would suspect the vertical separation would also quickly become much more meaningful between the two bullet weights. It does seem that your barrel is happiest with faster loads. Those 52.5 and 56 gr loads would likely look very nice indeed at longer ranges.

+1 indeed :)

In the real world:
--- 50 yards groups are shot to "get on paper"
--- 100 yards groups are shot to zero the rifle/barrel
--- 200 yards groups are shot to see how the rifle/shooter truly group (and verify the trajectory drop)

Of course, if a 50 yards shooting range is all that is available, 50 yards is a whole lot much better than nothing :)

This is unexpected with Blaser barrels, or maybe I am uncommonly lucky, mine shoot MOA or close enough with - so far - anything I have fed them.

For the .375 H&H semi-weight barrel here is what I get at 100 yards from Barnes factory loads 300 gr TSX:

1622847623130.jpeg

And here is what I get from Norma PH Woodleigh 350 g at 100 yards. Two FMJ on the right, and two RN SN on the left. I wish FMJ and RN SN would print together, but technically they do not, although I doubt any Buff will complain about a 1" POI shift for body shots:

1622847722358.jpeg

FYI .300 Wby standard barrel with Weatherby factory ammo with 165 g TTSX at 100 yards:

1622847990909.jpeg

FYI .257 Wby standard barrel with Weatherby factory ammo with 100 g TTSX at 100 yards:

1622848050101.jpeg

FYI .270 Win standard barrel with Federal Premium factory ammo with 130 g TSX at 100 yards:

1622848112928.jpeg

Even bulk Federal .223 American Eagle 55 g FMJ groups well in the standard barrel with at 100 yards...

1622848265368.jpeg

And so does the cheap PPU in both .375 H&H and .270 Win. I do not have a pic of the .375 H&H but here is the .270 Win 130 g SP at 100 yards:

1622848692573.jpeg

Last edited:
@One Day... Thank you for such an in-depth review. Your straight stock comments have me struggling with plans to get the K95 over the R8. Still saving so no rush obviously.

This is quite an interesting dilemma because these are really and truly two different rifles, and, I would add, likely two different hunting applications, and possibly two different hunting philosophies...

The K95 Blaser is a single shot break-open rifle
, called a "kipplauf" in Germany. They are typically very light, very elegant, and used by hunters who focus on the art of stalking, or who climb steep mountains after Chamois where every ounce counts. In Europe you will typically see them in upscale and/or alpine stalks, and in the hands of multiple rifles owners, because they are somewhat specialized. They also tend to be produced in smaller, flatter shooting calibers (6 mm x 62 Freres, 6.5 mm x 68, .257 Wby, etc.) well adapted to mountain hunts and games, and in the old days most were chambered for rimmed cartridges. I suspect they are the reason why Blaser created the rimmed .30 R Blaser.

I am well familiar with these. Mine is a full-length rib Zanardini 7x65R with railed West German Zeiss Diavari Z 2.5-10x52 T* scope (I date myself ;)) mounted with a Suhl claw mount. I agonized a long time over caliber selection because the 7x65R does not shoot quite flat enough for an "ideal" mountain rifle (the 6.5x68 R would have been much better), but it will flatten the largest Red Stag or the toughest Wild Boar (which the 6.5 may not). Ah! choices, choices... :)

Zanardini Kiplauf.jpg

The R8 Blaser is a bolt action repeating rifle. It is typically heavier, more universal in its applications, and better adapted to hunting conditions where fast repeat shots are desired. In Europe you will typically see them in driven hunts, along side European calibers double rifles (e.g. 9.3x74R), and with hunters who do not necessarily own a large rifles collection.

In a forum focused on African hunting, I would think that a repeater is likely a better option, if you intend to hunt dangerous game one day. Conversely, if plains game is the only pursuit, the one-shot rifle, and the hunting philosophy it underpins, are certainly entirely fine. Enough Ruger #1 roam the fields of Africa to make the point :)

I must confess that it has been a long time since I took the Zanardini to the field. Going through the old shoebox, I find this picture from a Pennsylvania public land hunt dating back to the mid eighties, I think. Has it already been 35+ years!?!?! I guess that my puppy faces answers "yes" :rolleyes:

White Tailed buck 7x65R Pennsylvania.jpg

I am waiting on an invitation from Red Leg to come stalk deer on his Texas estate, along side him and his Rigby Stalker or any of his wonderful falling-block single shot rifles, to take it out of the safe again :E Rofl:

Last edited:

Zeroing 30-06 Blaser R8​

View attachment 405460

Perhaps I should have titled it as Round Developement rather than Zeroing (which I prefer at 100yds), all I needed was a good group to extend out to 100yds, although I dont do much european driven boar out past 100yds.:A Whistle:

That makes a lot of sense, running boar at 50 yards can be hard enough :E Rofl:

If input in your process is of interest, my own perspective would be to eliminate both extremes of the spectrum.

Based on my own experience shooting a fair number of Sanglier (Wild Boar) and Cerf (Red Stag) in France in the first ~30 years of my life, in driven hunts or silent stalks, I would opine that a 120 gr .30 bullet may lack the sectional density and mechanical integrity for good penetration from any angle, as occasionally needed for a shot on the run.

Conversely, a 220 gr is definitely overkill and will needlessly increase recoil significantly, not to mention potentially increase the risk of collateral casualty after pass-through penetration, as can also be experienced in a driven hunt.

Your dilemma is not much different from the one I went through to recently "modernize" my favorite .300 Wby loads. I used to shoot the 150 gr (light game) and 180 gr (heavy game) Nosler Partition in Federal Premium factory loads. In my Winchester 70 Stainless Classic, it only required 9 vertical clicks on the Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6x42 scope to switch from one to the other.

I experimented with the 130 gr TTSX and got a great flat trajectory, but when I put a Zeiss V4 scope with external BDC (bullet drop compensation) turret calibrated for the load on my R8 barrel, the need for a long MPBR (main point blank range) decreased.

I settled on the Weatherby factory 165 gr TTSX as a "do-it-all" load. It shoots flat enough (which is somewhat obsolete with the BDC turret); it carries its speed and momentum a long way; its monometal construction retains more weight than the 180 gr Partition used to; its polymer tip insures great expansion; and its recoil is lower than that of a 180 gr or 200 gr load. I reckon it can do anything a .300 mag needs done :)

Note: Incomprehensibly (in my mind) Weatherby recently discontinued this factory load, like they did a lot of TTSX loads. I am speculating that they got a better deal from Nosler because all these TTSX loads were replaced by Ballistic Tip loads of same weight. Thankfully, I had just bought 10 boxes (200 rounds of 165 g TTSX) so I will be OK for a few years. I only use the "Gold" box premium loads for hunting and I practice with the "Silver" box 1/2 price loads using Hornady Interlock. And I still have a few boxes each of the 150 g and 180 g Federal Premium Nosler Partition that I keep for the Win 70.

I would think that the 165 or 168 gr TTSX would be a great load for your .30-06 and your hunts. I would favor the TTSX over the TSX because it expands more reliably on small game like Chevreuil (Roe Deer).

Best continued luck out there, this is a great Boar you have in your media gallery :)

PS: Regarding the lack of difference between a 120 gr and a 220 gr trajectory, this is a misleading artifice of shooting at 50 yards. At that distance all bullet weights shoot flat. The drop will start showing at 75 yards, and by 200 yards it will be enough to miss a small to medium size animal.

This is quite an interesting dilemma because these are really and truly two different rifles, and, I would add, likely two different hunting applications, and possibly two different hunting philosophies...

The K95 Blaser is a single shot break-open rifle
, called a "kipplauf" in Germany. They are typically very light, very elegant, and used by hunters who focus on the art of stalking, or who climb steep mountains after Chamois where every ounce counts. In Europe you will typically see them in upscale and/or alpine stalks, and in the hands of multiple rifles owners, because they are somewhat specialized. They also tend to be produced in smaller, flatter shooting calibers (6 mm x 62 Freres, 6.5 mm x 68, .257 Wby, etc.) well adapted to mountain hunts and games, and in the old days most were chambered for rimmed cartridges. I suspect they are the reason why Blaser created the rimmed .30 R Blaser.

I am well familiar with these. Mine is a full-length rib Zanardini 7x65R with railed West German Zeiss Diavari Z 2.5-10x52 T* scope (I date myself ;)) mounted with a Suhl claw mount. I agonized a long time over caliber selection because the 7x65R does not shoot quite flat enough for an "ideal" mountain rifle (the 6.5x68 R would have been much better), but it will flatten the largest Red Stag or the toughest Wild Boar (which the 6.5 may not). Ah! choices, choices... :)

View attachment 405623

The R8 Blaser is a bolt action repeating rifle. It is typically heavier, more universal in its applications, and better adapted to hunting conditions where fast repeat shots are desired. In Europe you will typically see them in driven hunts, along side European calibers double rifles (e.g. 9.3x74R), and with hunters who do not necessarily own a large rifles collection.

In a forum focused on African hunting, I would think that a repeater is likely a better option, if you intend to hunt dangerous game one day. Conversely, if plains game is the only pursuit, the one-shot rifle, and the hunting philosophy it underpins, are certainly entirely fine. Enough Ruger #1 roam the fields of Africa to make the point :)

I must confess that it has been a long time since I took the Zanardini to the field. Going through the old shoebox, I find this picture from a Pennsylvania public land hunt dating back to the mid eighties, I think. Has it already been 35+ years!?!?! I guess that my puppy faces answers "yes" :rolleyes:

View attachment 405624

I am waiting on an invitation from Red Leg to come stalk deer on his Texas estate, along side him and his Rigby Stalker or any of his wonderful falling-block single shot rifles, to take it out of the safe again :E Rofl:
Thank you. It seems the thumbhole K95 may be what will suit me best. PG is about all I’d be interested in, save a Cape B, but I can’t have or do it all so I’m content. Thank you again.

Just a short add-on to One Day’s. I have had a 300 Win Mag load consistently shoot tighter groups at 200 yards than at 100 yards. My guess is that the bullet (180 Nosler Partition ) did not fully stabilize at 100 yards.
I have also found the 165 grain TTSX is one of the flattest and most accurate shooting bullets in my 300 Win Mag (ahead of H4831). I was shocked that at over 180 yards it expanded well even on a coyote.
I too also prefer the TTSX over the TSX. A bit better BC and a bit more controlled expansion (IME).
The 168 grain TTSX, according to an email from Barnes, was designed for the 30-06 velocities where as the ogive of the 165 grain TTSX was designed for the 300 Win Mag.

Best of luck with the K95 and your PG! I’m certain it will work great.

On our little patch of heaven, it is more about waiting for one of them to walk over to us - not a lot of room for stalking. :E Shrug: I can promise that the single malt and the Calvados will be exceptionable.

Mmmmm! I first experienced that after a ceremony on Omaha Beach celebrating the 50th anniversary of D-Day. An excellent way to finish the day!

This brings a memory...

When I was 10 years old (1968) my Dad who was a French Army (Cavalry) captain at the time (he retired as a 2 stars general) but who also was a PhD in nuclear physics (he got bored coming back from Indochine then Algerie) was posted at the Cherbourg Marine Nationale (Navy) arsenal to oversee the assembly, fuel loading and startup of the very first nuclear reactor for the first French intercontinental missile submarine, the Redoutable. An Army guy (and young at that!) being seconded to help the Navy brass was, as you can well imagine, quite exceptional, and it spoke highly of his competency and leadership, and Mom was rightly proud to be invited to sit at the Admiral's table, but I digress...

I vividly remember to this day, for the 3 years we lived in Cherbourg, roaming the beaches of Normandy and the bocage - we often drove down the peninsula toward The Beaches (upper cases fully intended) - and playing endlessly with D-Day relics (it was only 24 years after and there were still stuff everywhere, including rusted weapons, especially in the nooks and crannies that only kids explore). One of the most vivid souvenirs, and a great proof that Guardian Angels exist, was of a young man about 30 years old whom I befriended and who had amassed an incredible collection of weapons and memorabilia ... including a huge stash of Composition C plastic. Thank God we did not know that a detonator was needed, because we kept experimenting with ever increasing charges and never got a bang. The darn thing was burning in a geyser flame but not detonating. A good thing, I guess, because by the time we got tired of trying to explode it we were stacking several lbs. of it in a hole ("put more, there was not enough to explode!") and we would have blown ourselves, and half the village, into fiery eternity had we put a det into it :E Rofl:

Yeah, Normandy was quite interesting in those days still...

Last edited:
This brings a memory...

When I was 10 years old (1968) my Dad who was a French Army (Cavalry) captain at the time (he retired as a 2 stars general) but who also was a PhD in nuclear physics (he got bored coming back from Indochine then Algerie) was posted at the Cherbourg Marine Nationale (Navy) arsenal to oversee the assembly, fuel loading and startup of the first nuclear reactor for the first French intercontinental missile submarine, the Redoutable. An Army guy (and young at that!) being seconded to help the Navy brass was, as you can well imagine, quite exceptional, and it spoke highly of his competency and leadership, but I digress...

I vividly remember to this day, for the 3 years we lived in Cherbourg, roaming the beaches of Normandy and the bocage - we often drove down the peninsula toward The Beaches (upper cases fully intended) - and playing endlessly with D-Day relics (it was only 24 years after and there were still stuff everywhere, including rusted weapons, especially in the nooks and crannies only kids explore). One of the most vivid souvenirs, and a great proof that Guardian Angels exist, was of a young man about 30 years old whom I befriended and who had amassed an incredible collection of weapons and memorabilia ... including a huge stash of Composition C plastic. Thank God we did not know that a detonator was needed, because we kept experimenting with ever increasing charges and never got a bang. The darn thing was burning in a geyser flame but not detonating. A good things I guess because by the time we got tired of trying to explode it we were stacking a few lbs. in a hole ("put more, there was not enough to explode!") and we would have likely blown ourselves and half the village to eternity had we put a det into it :E Rofl:

Yeah, Normandy was quite interesting in those days still...
Which reminds me ......

Way back in the summer of 1973 I went through Ranger School (successfully earning the tab I would note - the failure rate was pretty steep - but I digress). This was before the introduction of the MRE and we survived on canned C- Rations. The best way to heat them quickly was with a bit of C4 about the size of one's fingernail. So we became adept at stealing it during demolition training. In any case fast forward a couple of weeks to the mountain phase of the course. We had been having a miserable time running patrols for several days, and were enjoying a couple of hours break while evaluator teams traded out. I immediately lit up a bit of C4 and started heating a can of beanie weenies. All was well with the world, when our lookout announced the new evaluator team had arrived early. Because I was young, dumb, and uninformed I jumped up and decided to kick dirt over the bit of C4 to extinguish it and hide the evidence. :eek: :oops:o_O In demo class we had been taught the importance of damping our charges to achieve greater effect. To this day, I am certain no one mentioned anything about the effect of damping on burning C4. In any case, the resulting blast put me squarely on my can and scattered beanie weenies for a surprising blast radius like gooey shrapnel.

It is a minor miracle I merely had the dressing down of my young life and wasn't bounced out of the course to end up someone's supply officer. :A Shades::A Victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg