To buy or borrow a rifle.....?

Johnnyblues you will love the guide gun. I have it in 416 Ruger and it is great to shoot with or without the break. Have fun with it.
Thanks....How well does your gun group? I love accurate gun's but I ve never owned one in 375..What should I expect as good accuracy?

Mr. 16 I think you've answered your own question to a degree simply by the act of asking it. You are obviously willing to consider the option of renting/borrowing so I think the practical advice is to do just that. It will make your travel easier, will cost a less, and this adds up to more than you think! By the time you spend time and gas looking/shopping, getting optics on it, ammo to site that in, Ammo cost in general. Firearm permits. The travel case needed. I may have gone overboard a bit, but when I added up the 4 new guns (the two we started with ended up with relatives moving in!), 2 double cases, soft cases, cases of hard to find ammo, decent optics, some clothing and boots, we spent $12,000 for two of us!

Obviously a lot of guys on here (myself included) are a bit infatuated with our guns! But you may be more about the hunt and not as hung up on the gun.. That can be your advantage so go with it rather let us all talk you into a gun with our machismo.

I would highly recommend you get details on what is available to use and ask for detailed pictures, especially of the optics mounting. You don't want to get there and find out you have to contend with scope mounting that you can't see out of. Hopefully the outfitter has a couple choices... Then try to set up your 338 similarly even if you need to buy another set of scope rings.. Practice with that will suffice very well and you will have a great hunt being able to spend at least $2-3000 more on trophies than if you go out and buy even a low cost gun and mid range scope.

Johnny before my buff/lioness hunt I was putting groups spaced no more than 1 1/2 inches apart at 100 yards. Off hand I was hitting towards the middle of a paper plate at fifty yards with no problem. I haven't shot it but once since that hunt and that was with a Caldwell Lead Sled cutting the bulls eye at 50 yards. It's an accurate rifle, feels great, looks great, sounds like thunder and drops dangerous game in a flash.
I use a sling to carry mine as I don't like the way African hunters hold the barrel and put the stock over their shoulder. That being said, if you intend not to use a sling watch out for the edges of the front sight. They are a little sharp and could nick you if you let it slide through an open hand.
I look forward to hearing a range report and some pictures of trophies.
Charlie

There is no need to spend the money for a rifle on a one time hunt. Use the camp gun and have fun. Make sure you take a few practice shots. If you shoot your 338 well, moving up to a 375 will be a non event.

Enjoy your hunt and have a blast.

Mr. 16 I think you've answered your own question to a degree simply by the act of asking it. You are obviously willing to consider the option of renting/borrowing so I think the practical advice is to do just that. It will make your travel easier, will cost a less, and this adds up to more than you think! By the time you spend time and gas looking/shopping, getting optics on it, ammo to site that in, Ammo cost in general. Firearm permits. The travel case needed. I may have gone overboard a bit, but when I added up the 4 new guns (the two we started with ended up with relatives moving in!), 2 double cases, soft cases, cases of hard to find ammo, decent optics, some clothing and boots, we spent $12,000 for two of us!

Obviously a lot of guys on here (myself included) are a bit infatuated with our guns! But you may be more about the hunt and not as hung up on the gun.. That can be your advantage so go with it rather let us all talk you into a gun with our machismo.

I would highly recommend you get details on what is available to use and ask for detailed pictures, especially of the optics mounting. You don't want to get there and find out you have to contend with scope mounting that you can't see out of. Hopefully the outfitter has a couple choices... Then try to set up your 338 similarly even if you need to buy another set of scope rings.. Practice with that will suffice very well and you will have a great hunt being able to spend at least $2-3000 more on trophies than if you go out and buy even a low cost gun and mid range scope.

Sound advice ActionBob. Moreover, I think you captured a lot of the detailed expenses to consider. Now if one is planning to do additional hunts like some of us gun/hunt addicts buying a rifle is something cool. In my case I took my son and wife on the first hunt using rifles I already had. My second safari caused me to buy the Ruger Guide Gun for dangerous game. Now I'm adding a Ruger Model #1 in 458 Lott as the backup gun for the next hunt but really something to hunt brown bear with my son in the future.
At the end of my days I hope to hand these guns down to my son and his kids. Maybe he will take his family on a safari some day.

At the end of my days I hope to hand these guns down to my son and his kids. Maybe he will take his family on a safari some day.
Charlie a great plan and one I think a lot of us aspire to... Trouble for me is I don't have enough kids to match my supply of guns;) Gonna need some grandchildren!

One time hunt........yeah okay.............;)

I think most of us have said that. Buy the 375 you will use it next time.........or go ahead and but the 416 or 458 now so you won't have to upgrade the 375......

In all seriousness find someone with a 375 before you go and shoot it.............really isn't much of a step from a 338WM.

You can always use / rent a gun from your P.H. but if you buy a gun it is almost always worth what you paid for it should you want to sell it later. I never have, but it sounds like a good idea. Lots of people on here would buy a gently used gun when you are done with it.

Thanks....How well does your gun group? I love accurate gun's but I ve never owned one in 375..What should I expect as good accuracy?
I don't think you got this answered; Mine is very accurate and it shoots better than my 30-06!

So far it seems to really like Federal Premium 300 grain trophy Bonded Bear Claws for tight groups. It will do sub inch if I do my part.

And Remington Premium 300 grain A Frames paired with Federal Premium 300 grain Woodleigh Hydro Solids for best regulation between softs and solids... Not that I've tried everything. But the A frames regulate to the solids better than the TB bear claws....? Although they were grouping slightly wider and to one side a bit from the TB bear claws.

For PG I liked the 270 grain Hornady SPRP and really liked it because it was what I could find/buy at the time! Noticeable (but not nessasary" reduction in recoil and very flat shooting.

I think the 375 H& H is generally known for good accuracy, no great accuracy! ... There are good reasons it is the best all time, all around, do it all cartridge in Africa!

I will take bigger calibers because I want to, not because I feel I must.

Thanks to all for your input; it's much appreciated.
As of right now, my plan is to borrow/rent from the P.H.........but that doesn't mean that I'm going to quit browsing pawn shops, web sites, and gun shows!;):D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!