Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Argentina
The only problem with that is I think we would find a lot of "ground shrinkage" when we walk over to the dead animal, if we even knew what to look for in the first place.
You have to trust your PH - you have no other choice. There are lots of ways that a PH can impact your hunt, and being incentivized to get you animals isn't one that would concern me unduly.

For example, especially if you're on a package hunt, or an auction hunt, you may never see the "best" animals on a given property or if you do, your PH may say they're too small, or too young, etc. The "best" may well be saved for those paying top price, and you'd really never know. Or, if you've annoyed your PH somehow, you may find yourself doing a lot of walking, which may provide results, but likely not to the same extent as spotting and stalking from the vehicle.

I'm not saying these things happen regularly, but if you spend enough time in Africa and get to know some of the people well, you hear things.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. If you don't trust your PH, time to find another PH. There are some things tips won't fix.

Hyde Hunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
I have only been on one PG hunt first time this year and I do not think the owner who also acts as the PH because he did not have the required PH's for the # of hunters and the contract called for 1x1. but the owner was my PH for 3 days and my main animal I really wanted was a Gemsbuck on the 3rd day out steps a great one with horns that would have gone 42 in, PH said closer to 44 but was not allowed to shoot it because he said it was a female, 3 days later new PH says shoot this one 37 1/2 very good one and turns out to be a female. I am happy about the animal but disappointed about the first one, needless to say first PH ticked me off for not letting me take a dream animal so tip was very small for him

TERMINATOR

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA (Life), Safari Club Intl
Hunted
USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.
I have only been on one PG hunt first time this year and I do not think the owner who also acts as the PH because he did not have the required PH's for the # of hunters and the contract called for 1x1. but the owner was my PH for 3 days and my main animal I really wanted was a Gemsbuck on the 3rd day out steps a great one with horns that would have gone 42 in, PH said closer to 44 but was not allowed to shoot it because he said it was a female, 3 days later new PH says shoot this one 37 1/2 very good one and turns out to be a female. I am happy about the animal but disappointed about the first one, needless to say first PH ticked me off for not letting me take a dream animal so tip was very small for him
The Gemsbok record books are dominated by females

You definitely should’ve been allowed to shoot the first one

Hyde Hunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
I was not looking for the record book but when you see an outstanding animal you should be able to harvest it. even for the Blesbuck and Red Hartebeest it was no a female or its not old enough very frustrating though I did take those other animals along with a very nice Impala. I do not think I will hunt with that operation again and for a couple other reasons. but I do have the Arica bug and planning to go to the East Cape next May or June

mark-hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Perhaps, the strong female was in prime of her breading age, and was necessary to keep her around for few more years.
Basically, it is PH job to determine, which animal to take, and which not to take.

In any case a hunter has the right to tip, or not to tip. Or to be satisfied or not. And it is questionable why to tip at all, if not happy with service?

It is not the first time, that client is not happy with service, but decides to tip, though a bit less then what he expected or planned in case of having satisfactory service.. So why tipping for unsatisfacory service?

Dean2

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
It amazed me that after 51 pages people are still looking for Black and White rules in a Grey world. Basically, why do you care what others do, go by what satisfies and makes you feel happy/comfortable. The only parties involved who's opinions matter are you and your PH/Outfitter. You are never going to sway the opinions of others on here, but it is entertaining.:D Pop Popcorn:

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Just to throw everything out of wack a bit.

On my hunt in June I tipped both my PH and tracker quite a bit more than what is expected. Both of them went above and beyond what would be expected on a plains game hunt. The tracker worked his rear off on two animals. One was a bad hit by me and the other just didn't want to go down. Not to mention my gemsbok that decided to die down in the bottom of a canyon where it took my tracker and 3 more to get him out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
500 Nitro Express

Latest profile posts

geoff rath wrote on Von Gruff's profile.
G'day, Von Gruff; Could you give me an idea on your Bearded Chef Knife, as per your posted photos, delivered to Australia? I'd like to reward a good mate (excellent amateur chef) who has done me big favours in the past. Cheers, Geoff Rath
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on TERMINATOR's profile.
I just received a forwarded e-mail from you, concerning our Web Site. We just finished a leopard hunt yesterday. While on the hunt my wife mentioned to me that she had finally had it with the person that was maintaining the site and that she was going to get someone else to maintain the site.

If the site is not active you can contact me thru the AH forum.

Cheers, Lon Denney
Tokoloshe Safaris,
Zimbabwe
Bwana Man wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
Interested in the
  • JP Sauer 90 Luxus .375 H&H West German with EAW swing mounts and Varix III 2.5-8x40 scope (Euro Model hand rubbed oil, express sights) 99.9%
yamoon wrote on C.W. Richter's profile.
Hello
The book is still available, I will consider it sold. Personal check is fine. Send me your address.
Thanks
Michael
[redacted]
Mark Audino wrote on ryno111's profile.
Hi Ryan,
Did this note come to you as a private message?
Thanks,
Mark