Thoughts on type of camps

Fellas, I never said I wanted a DIY hunt in Africa. The farthest I went was saying that I’d bring all my own food and gear if it was possible. Carry on.
You would of course need to be very careful as to any food you took through Customs into any country. U S Customs and Department of Agriculture is why you cannot bring meat back. Just too much risk of introduced diseases. Plus it is just not practical to ship.

Besides, if you were to provide your own food in South Africa. Just go buy it at a supermarket;)

I’ve read all your comments here. What I don’t think you’re understanding is the comparison of South Africa and Namibia is more to Texas. Private land, lots of hunts spread out over a few months, permanent lodging. Most of South Africa and Namibia are not wilderness areas and still won’t compare to extremes of Alaska. Wilderness hunts in Africa are considerably more expensive than private land hunts not for the lodging but for cost to maintain areas and conduct anti-poaching and also paying the government for animals. There is no legal free hunting for all in Africa like North America. Camp staff is a very cheap expense maybe $15/staff per day?

Having hunted over much of Africa, and lived in Alaska for a number of years, I feel pretty confident in saying that the remoteness of the Alaskan wilderness does not exist in Africa. That doesn’t make Africa any less, it is just different, and comparisons seem somewhat meaningless to me. They are both special, enjoy them for what they are.

As to preferred camps, remote bush comps for me. I have a preference for thatch, but have no problem with tents.

I have heard including I would want to fly first class and explained how they could do that for free as well.

Flying first class for free? Now that’s interesting!

You would of course need to be very careful as to any food you took through Customs into any country. U S Customs and Department of Agriculture is why you cannot bring meat back. Just too much risk of introduced diseases. Plus it is just not practical to ship.

Besides, if you were to provide your own food in South Africa. Just go buy it at a supermarket;)
Bring your own food and pay 40% duty. Or like action Bob said go to the supermarket. I would like to see the look on your PHs face.

Most of South Africa and Namibia are not wilderness areas and still won’t compare to extremes of Alaska. Wilderness hunts in Africa are considerably more expensive than private land hunts not for the lodging but for cost to maintain areas and conduct anti-poaching and also paying the government for animals. There is no legal free hunting for all in Africa like North America.
There you have it. If one wants to hunt in a wilderness area in Africa, it will be on a large concession that the outfitter must lease for big, really big money! Those costs must be allocated to the hunters. Chances are that the cost to each hunter on that wilderness area will be many times more than those for a non-wilderness area such as a South African ranch or Zimbabwe tribal "campfire" area.

And just like Alaska or northern Canada wilderness, the logistics cost of operating hunts there will be many times more that where one is an hour's drive on decent road from food and repair parts.

Once, i left my hearing aids in an ash tray next to my bed and the next morning one aid was gone and replaced by a palm kernel. A pack rat had absconded with my hearing aid.
Yep, been there experienced that in deer camp in Texas. You should have seen the look my audiologist gave me when I filed an insurance claim to replace the hearing aid. For those of you who don’t wear hearing aids yet, the cost of good hearing aids can be equivalent to the trophy fee of at least one kudu if not two.

In all seriousness, I learned something today. I have never heard about the blue thing and flies. I don't remember reading it anywhere or having a PH say anything about it before. I have never worn a blue shirt on safari but just be accident as I love blue :)

I want to get some feedback on what guys would like in a camp and if a tent camp would be what some want. I know some like the standard SA outfitter camps the typical 3 to 5 star camps

I have seen plenty of guys say they do not always want fancy. Would a tent camp like you typically get in zim or moz be something guys would like in SA. Would still be a nice clean camp but a more roughing style look and feel.

So lets hear what are ah members would like.
Back to your question. I do not request, require or want fancy. I am smart and experienced enough to know that any tent camp (for me) in SA is NOT wilderness (I live in BC, Canada) or roughing it BUT when I safari in SA (I will again) this is my order of preferred and requested camp. From no way to best offered, I'm in.

-I will NOT stay in camps or places like Hitgeheim.
-Will not book and stay anywhere where I am dropped off PM and picked up AM.
-I expect (normal for SA) and enjoy staying at outfitters/PH's house, hunter quarters at ranch.
-Furthest chalet, rondoval's on outskirts of camp is preferred.
-A bush camp far from noise, lights, sleeping in a tent with the low end of safari service is perfect.

Last is what I like, seek and ask for, if one outfitter had that over normal accommodations then that would seal the deal, all else being equal.

I request that me or my group is only one in camp, staying on the or a property with no road or other hunter drunk noise and no town lights is perfect. Individual tents with a communal shower is fine, communal eating area under tent/thatch, and fire pit with braai. Food- 3 course, hot and lots with coffee/tea and water, (I have taken my own instant on every safari) meats should be mostly what we shoot as that's what I prefer. For me bar optional as I rarely indulge.

As a best option and to cover many more safari goers offer both camps for any longer safaris, say 12-14 days+, stay at normal lodge then move out to a "bush" camp for a few days then back to lodge. I did this in Zim for ele=5 days in tent, and Namibia 4 nights in cave then we went back to ranch/farm accomadations. Gave us best of both options.

When you make this camp be sure post on here so I may look for next safari. Want a rhino green, honey badger, caracal and some colourful springbucks as a start.

Thanks for the post questions.

MB

An interesting question posed by Lex Strauss. This is a topic some friends and I discussed after a trip to SA a number of years ago. The hunt was really enjoyable and quite successful, but it really could have been even more incredible with a tented camp. I’ll relate the story briefly as an illustration of what I believe would make a SA tented safari successful as opposed to just a gimmick.
Our group was hunting a really mixed bag of animals that required a broad diversity of habitat and both day and night hunting. Some of the animals were not available on any of the properties owned or leased by the outfitter. Here’s a short list of some of the animals desired. Mountain Reedbuck, Klipspringer, Kudu, Serval, Caracal, Civet, Genet, Honey Badger, Water Mongoose, White Tailed Mongoose, bushbuck and some other fairly common plains game.
We ended up hunting mountain country in the Waterburg Mountains and low country that consisted of a mixture of thorn scrub typical of the Limpopo and cultivated land. The outfitter had secured permission to hunt multiple properties in both the mountains and the lowland area totaling about 30,000 acres in the mountains and probably close to that in the lowland. This area was about 3 hours drive from the outfitters lodge, so not an option for a daily commute.
Several of the properties in the mountains had unoccupied homes on them and we used several of them to stay in or grab a shower but had to bring all our own “stuff”. Over the course of 14 days we just camped out in the bush most of the time. Build a fire, have a braii, throw down a sleeping pad and a blanket and grab some sleep. Stop for lunch, make some sandwiches, have a nap and go back to hunting. It had a really unique feeling of “adventure” without any real camp or lodge and I truly enjoyed it. But it wasn’t without it’s challenges, such as dealing with game as it was shot. After a couple weeks of this, a chef prepared meal, shower and comfortable bed were quite welcome.
Back to the OP, in my opinion this would have been an ideal situation for a tented camp operation, even it were quite a bit more rustic and not as “full service” as what most safari outfitters provide. Having a fixed base with some infrastructure such as kitchen and cook, shower, skinning shed along with a tent and cot to crawl into would have been about perfect.
Punchline, and I’m going to be very blunt and direct - no offense intended, if the intent of an outfitter was to attempt to replicate the experience I’ve personally had in Zimbabwe and Mozambique in a tented safari camp, my answer is a Hard NO. Unless you’ve got 100,000 acres with free ranging lion, elephant, cape buffalo and leopard I think this would come off like trying to sell knock-off ladies hand bags. However, if the intent is to offer a unique, value-added experience that helps keeps costs competitive and you are catering to clientele that want to rough it a bit and maybe participate more actively in the camp/hunt, I think there might be a real market for that. If it felt a bit more like deer camp in north America, but was a safari in Africa, that might be kinda cool. Certainly not for everyone, but done right I bet it could work.
Very well said and great explanation. That's exactly what I would be in for, keep it "real" for SA. Again well said @IdaRam .

MB

@MarkB post above reminded me on one pet peeve.

I don't travel to Africa to eat beef! I want wild game!
While beef may be desired in Africa, I can walk to a grocery store or butcher, or even a farm in the USA and purchase any grade beef that I may desire.

In Africa, I want to eat what I shoot after the second or third day. On the first day, if possible, I want to eat whatever game meat remains from the previous hunters.

@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS prepared buffalo, warthog, zebra, and giraffe which I shot. Mmmm they were good eating!!!

So if I’m understand correctly there in fact is not a offer for less than a non res special elk tag?
Remember I was talking about DIY guys. They’re not usually the kind of guys that want a high fence feed trough auction animal hunt. I’m quick to admit I’ve got a whole lot to learn about African hunting. But in the short time I’ve been looking in to it there’s a whole lot of word play going on to disguise the reality behind the cheaper prices of some of these hunts and even the more expensive ones for that matter. So I feel like my question was valid.
You may find an offer of what you mentioned above, but it will be for a very short amount of time and for only one animal. Say a one day hunt for an impala. However, it is not even close to worth the trip for something like that. I also do not think any outfit would agree to such a short hunt.

I do know of a guy who went to SA to get an acquaintance a zebra for her living room. He went on a 3 day hunt with an outfit who he knew very well. She footed the bill for the entire thing and it was close to 4k with flights, daily rates, tips, and trophy fees.

While beef may be desired in Africa, I can walk to a grocery store or butcher and purchase any grade beef that I may desire.

In Africa, I want to eat what I shoot after the second or third day. On the first day, if possible, I want to eat whatever game meat remains from the previous hunters.

@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS prepared buffalo, warthog, zebra, and giraffe which I shot. Mmmm they were good eating!!!
I agree fully. In Namibia our PH took me out on the conservatory for an hr to get "southern fried chicken" for supper. He started a bet, we were after guinea fowl, first one to get their 5 won. I was chasing the flocks to get them to fly to shoot, he laughed and shot them on ground. Who does that with a 12 gauge? I managed 6 to his 4, but I did run hard and fast as soon as truck stopped to get them all in the air. Seamed I had more practice at birds on the wing, but we laughed so hard it hurt and had a blast.

OMG did they taste great. So yes eat wild.

MB

While beef may be desired in Africa, I can walk to a grocery store or butcher, or even a farm in the USA and purchase any grade beef that I may desire.

Wholeheartedly agree. This is one question I insist to have clarified before booking a safari.No chicken, beef, pork or lamb anymore as from the day after the first (edible) game animal is shot. I cannot take the meat home, so at least let me eat my fill of it.

This is sometimes not possible however, so I can be understanding about a situation where we have to do some travel back and forth from lodge to conservancy for example. An impala shot in the morning needs to be gifted to the locals or it will spoil by the time it gets to a fridge or freezer in the evening.

Kevin I think you would have our Melville and moon teak and leather 10 gun folding rifle rack. The bloody thing cost R10,950.00. You can even hang your pith helmet on it.

Lon
Ah Lon, you know me well now. I am going to get M&M to make me a folding foot stool to put the Courteneys up at the end of a long day. I have to admit, I am an M&M fan, but hey, if I don't spend it at M&M the wife will spend it somewhere else. This lovely leather case stores four M&M whiskey tumblers and a good Scotch. And the M&M
5B33D80E-C183-4755-9C7E-6C97A8323492.jpeg
ammo box is a fine thing too. Heck, even the Jimny is M&M. You suppose they owe me a hat or something!

DD70D275-A7DB-42BD-AEDE-62C2B33B9DAE.jpeg
DD061B77-07E8-4A64-831F-5D61BC5443DE.jpeg

On
In all seriousness, I learned something today. I have never heard about the blue thing and flies. I don't remember reading it anywhere or having a PH say anything about it before. I have never worn a blue shirt on safari but just be accident as I love blue :)
On our trip through the Zambezi valley in Carruthers which as you know is completely open, the wife wore blue jeans. I was wearing shorts. Score: 26 tsetse bites for her, none for me.

I agree fully. In Namibia our PH took me out on the conservatory for an hr to get "southern fried chicken" for supper. He started a bet, we were after guinea fowl, first one to get their 5 won. I was chasing the flocks to get them to fly to shoot, he laughed and shot them on ground. Who does that with a 12 gauge? I managed 6 to his 4, but I did run hard and fast as soon as truck stopped to get them all in the air. Seamed I had more practice at birds on the wing, but we laughed so hard it hurt and had a blast.

OMG did they taste great. So yes eat wild.

MB
That brings to mind Ruark’s passion for upland birds and Harry Shelby’s polite disdain for shotguns as described in “The Horn of the Hunter.“ :D

Wholeheartedly agree. This is one question I insist to have clarified before booking a safari.No chicken, beef, pork or lamb anymore as from the day after the first (edible) game animal is shot. I cannot take the meat home, so at least let me eat my fill of it.

This is sometimes not possible however, so I can be understanding about a situation where we have to do some travel back and forth from lodge to conservancy for example. An impala shot in the morning needs to be gifted to the locals or it will spoil by the time it gets to a fridge or freezer in the evening.
I love eland and oryx, and frankly most antelope cuts can be quite good. I have found bush pig excellent and warthog not awful. However, if I am offered a choice between chicken and guinea fowl, I will gratefully, happily, joyfully opt for chicken. :A Way To Go: I didn't say guinea fowl couldn't be made edible (note I deliberately used the term edible which encompasses all sorts of potential offerings where taste is secondary). For instance, I have had it as the basis of shepherd's pie where it made a reasonable imitation of poor quality beef. I also do not do organs. The last thing I want to see is some dish perfected by the PH's Boer grandfather utilizing wildebeest entrails and the like. :oops: And liver reminds me more of a sewage filter than anything I care to eat.

I love eland and oryx, and frankly most antelope cuts can be quite good. I have found bush pig excellent and warthog not awful. However, if I am offered a choice between chicken and guinea fowl, I will gratefully, happily, joyfully opt for chicken. :A Way To Go: I didn't say guinea fowl couldn't be made edible (note I deliberately used the term edible which encompasses all sorts of potential offerings where taste is secondary). For instance, I have had it as the basis of shepherd's pie where it made a reasonable imitation of poor quality beef. I also do not do organs. The last thing I want to see is some dish perfected by the PH's Boer grandfather utilizing wildebeest entrails and the like. :oops: And liver reminds me more of a sewage filter than anything I care to eat.

My middle kid is nicknamed Colonel Sanders when he goes to Zim. The PHs find endless amusement by handing a kid a suppressed .22lr. The camp eats very well. Guinea is good, but its a bit tough. Francolin is more tender, but suffers from overcooking just like a pheasant does.

Sandgrouse is where its at. I'm good for a half dozen or more in a sitting. And unlike all the other game birds of Africa, they actually are in flight and are damned hard to hit. (like snipe)

My middle kid is nicknamed Colonel Sanders when he goes to Zim. The PHs find endless amusement by handing a kid a suppressed .22lr. The camp eats very well. Guinea is good, but its a bit tough. Francolin is more tender, but suffers from overcooking just like a pheasant does.

Sandgrouse is where its at. I'm good for a half dozen or more in a sitting. And unlike all the other game birds of Africa, they actually are in flight and are damned hard to hit. (like snipe)
Totally agree. As I have noted here several times, one of my best days in Africa was the afternoon I rolled two warthog for leopard bait and created a respectable mound of sand grouse (they in a frenzied twenty minutes) from the same Namibian waterhole with my Evans Paradox. We had them grilled a couple of different ways and they were superb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg