Thoughts on this action

Aixenmemphis

Reaction score
I’m rather new here and have been very interested in building a 404 J. I saw this on Gunbroker and it peaked my interest. I just wanted to see what you guys with much more experience thought about it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.17 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.20 AM.png
    891.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.22 AM.png
    962.6 KB · Views: 100
Many would argue that’s the best m98 action ever made.
I’m sure other members with much higher expertise will tell you the same thing

@Aixenmemphis I have that one on watch, too! ;)

@gballard137 Are they much different than the Steyr Waffenfabrik actions? I've got a hand-me-down that was re-chambered to 7.62N from 7mm by the Chilean government. Shot it the other day and it didn't perform well... perhaps it's future could be the same as the aciton above?

I saw that action also, there is something about the rear bridge that does not seem right to me. Look closely at pictures 4&5 and zoom in. In picture 5 it looks like there is something going on between the 2 scope base screw holes. I do realize the charger hump has been ground off. In picture 4 the area of the bridge to the right of the bolt release lever does look strange. I would want the action in hand before I would plunk down the cash.

@Aixenmemphis I have that one on watch, too! ;)

@gballard137 Are they much different than the Steyr Waffenfabrik actions? I've got a hand-me-down that was re-chambered to 7.62N from 7mm by the Chilean government. Shot it the other day and it didn't perform well... perhaps its future could be the same as the aciton above?
Do you know when the steyr action was made?
Depends what cartridge you are going to chamber the rifle in will depend if the action is suitable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross