Thoughts on this action

Aixenmemphis

AH member
Joined
Nov 12, 2021
Messages
18
Reaction score
53
I’m rather new here and have been very interested in building a 404 J. I saw this on Gunbroker and it peaked my interest. I just wanted to see what you guys with much more experience thought about it.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.17 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 248
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.20 AM.png
    891.5 KB · Views: 299
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.52.22 AM.png
    962.6 KB · Views: 268
Many would argue that’s the best m98 action ever made.
I’m sure other members with much higher expertise will tell you the same thing
 
@Aixenmemphis I have that one on watch, too! ;)

@gballard137 Are they much different than the Steyr Waffenfabrik actions? I've got a hand-me-down that was re-chambered to 7.62N from 7mm by the Chilean government. Shot it the other day and it didn't perform well... perhaps it's future could be the same as the aciton above?
 
I saw that action also, there is something about the rear bridge that does not seem right to me. Look closely at pictures 4&5 and zoom in. In picture 5 it looks like there is something going on between the 2 scope base screw holes. I do realize the charger hump has been ground off. In picture 4 the area of the bridge to the right of the bolt release lever does look strange. I would want the action in hand before I would plunk down the cash.
 
@Aixenmemphis I have that one on watch, too! ;)

@gballard137 Are they much different than the Steyr Waffenfabrik actions? I've got a hand-me-down that was re-chambered to 7.62N from 7mm by the Chilean government. Shot it the other day and it didn't perform well... perhaps its future could be the same as the aciton above?
Do you know when the steyr action was made?
Depends what cartridge you are going to chamber the rifle in will depend if the action is suitable
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,104
Members
169,702
Latest member
ALJLeora84
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top