Thoughts on Kimber Caprivi .375

2376A335-55F5-4895-892C-798165190991.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice.
Glad to see that it made it out of bed and all dressed up with a scope, rings and sling.
Classy. (y)

I see you have a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24.
What reticle do you have?

Nice.
Glad to see that it made it out of bed and all dressed up with a scope, rings and sling.
Classy. (y)

I see you have a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24.
What reticle do you have?

She cleans up nice huh!

I decided to go with a red triangle post. Very fast and bright during the day.

I was crunching some numbers the other day and the Shepherd 3-10x42 DRS P2 reticle off my 308 will work with the 260/270 grain load. So that may be my elk scope I don’t know yet.

I was thinking if you had one of the duplex you could turn the scope 90 degrees to the left.
This would get the turret away from the loading gate and prevent a case from hitting it during ejection.
Not exactly ideal for your application.

Last edited:
I have seen that done and it’s a wonderful idea if you have the scope to make it work. So far nothing I have feed it hits the turret.

It feeds empties now after I worked on the massive burrs on the underside of the bolt raceway and polished the feed ramp. Wouldn’t feed anything when I got it. Just locked up. To be fair I’ve had to do it to a few Kimber’s and Montana’s and FN’s and my Ruger Hawkeye 375 Alaskan. That Alaskan was the worst to date. Probably why I got it so cheap when everyone had to have one.

I have seen that done and it’s a wonderful idea if you have the scope to make it work. So far nothing I have feed it hits the turret.

It feeds empties now after I worked on the massive burrs on the underside of the bolt raceway and polished the feed ramp. Wouldn’t feed anything when I got it. Just locked up. To be fair I’ve had to do it to a few Kimber’s and Montana’s and FN’s and my Ruger Hawkeye 375 Alaskan. That Alaskan was the worst to date. Probably why I got it so cheap when everyone had to have one.
My Caprivi ejects flawlessly, mind you I have a small 1-4 scope on it.

I've owned two Kimber rifles. They look good on paper but both of mine had issues with the safety.

On one there weren't any positive stops on the safety lever. It was difficult to determine exactly where the stop was for the middle position. Full off and full on were obvious but the middle portion was mushy and pure guesswork. Sent it back to Kimber and they claim they fixed it but it felt the same to me. It was a Hunter model in 7mm-08.

The other one (270 Classic) had a much more serious issue. On about every third round or so moving the safety lever from safe to fire would allow the firing pin to release as if you had pulled the trigger. IOW, you could fire the rifle by simply moving the safety from safe to fire. Not good! Thank God I discovered the problem while dry firing shortly after I bought it. I sent it back to Kimber and they replaced the entire bolt. Even though it never did it again I could never trust that rifle so I got rid of it.

Unfortunately, between the two issues I lost faith in Kimber rifles and I won't own another one. Same reason I won't own another Remington 700 either. Over reaction? Maybe. It's a shame because everything about the Caprivi appeals to me except the fact it's a Kimber. YMMV.

I have a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H that’s flawless. It groups 1/2 MOA with both 300 and 270 Barnes TSX. It ejects perfectly. I love the rifle. After buying the Caprivi, and having such a good experience, I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor Hunter. That rifle grouped like a shotgun no matter what I put through it. I sent it back to Kimber and they said it met specs. After trying again with several different powders, bullets and primers, I just gave up and sold it. I love my Caprivi but I will never buy another Kimber!

My Caprivi ejects flawlessly, mind you I have a small 1-4 scope on it.

It ejects with authority now and will feed empty cases. Also a perfect arc just below the scope, cases don’t touch anything but the ground :D

I just have dumb luck with rough actions. I was fully prepared for 2 hours of polishing. I’m working the action in now with Gunslick. It’s glassy smooth now.

Like the title says anyone with experience with one would be appreciated. All I’ve done is hold one. I’ve owned the original Ruger Alaskan 375 and own a No.1 375 H&H and it’s not my cup of tea. Time for a nice bolt gun.

As a suggestion, you should give it to me to test and run in for you! How about it??

It ejects with authority now and will feed empty cases. Also a perfect arc just below the scope, cases don’t touch anything but the ground :D

I just have dumb luck with rough actions. I was fully prepared for 2 hours of polishing. I’m working the action in now with Gunslick. It’s glassy smooth now.
What did you polish the bolt race with, JB?

Well I just checked and it’s been discontinued by the manufacturer. It was some good stuff.

I think I need to install a recoil reducer. For two reasons balance, it’s a little muzzle heavy. The second is obvious I’m a little more sensitive to recoil than I thought. All I used to own was a 300 Win Mag and a 375 Ruger. But that was years ago. I’ve spent the past couple years shooting 308s and 270s. I need to get used to a Magnum again and I don’t want to develop a flinch. I only shot about 20 rounds of 375 today and decided to stop before bad habits took hold. I got a couple 2~ groups @ 100 yards off a crappy rest with my 1-4x24. Sights are dead on at 25yds and about 1.5 inches high at 50yds so that’s a plus.

I think I need to install a recoil reducer. For two reasons balance, it’s a little muzzle heavy. The second is obvious I’m a little more sensitive to recoil than I thought. All I used to own was a 300 Win Mag and a 375 Ruger. But that was years ago. I’ve spent the past couple years shooting 308s and 270s. I need to get used to a Magnum again and I don’t want to develop a flinch. I only shot about 20 rounds of 375 today and decided to stop before bad habits took hold. I got a couple 2~ groups @ 100 yards off a crappy rest with my 1-4x24. Sights are dead on at 25yds and about 1.5 inches high at 50yds so that’s a plus.
Man once I have my 375 or my 458 zeroed I get away from the bench for 2 reasons- number 1 shooting those calibres off the bench aint much fun and number 2 when out hunting how many resting shots off the bench are you actually going take? Did you do any shooting off hand?

Man once I have my 375 or my 458 zeroed I get away from the bench for 2 reasons- number 1 shooting those calibres off the bench aint much fun and number 2 when out hunting how many resting shots off the bench are you actually going take? Did you do any shooting off hand?

About 8 resting shots off the bench 2 at a time the rest where field positions. 2 shots sitting and the rest off hand.

I guess I need to tuffin up huh! I honestly think I was having an off day.

20 rounds is a lot...especially when you consider how many times you will shoot in a typical hunting day.
Prepare for the long haul and limit yourself to 10-15 a range session, if that.
Go to the range as often as you can, once a week is a good start.
Save your $ and triple your round count with 22lr practice and doing dry fire runs.
Take your time...preparing for a safari should be a marathon, not a sprint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross