This is crazy

I'd squeeze the trigger once just to say I did..

but have no interest in actually owning or hunting with one..
 
"Hold my beer, while I try out this .700 Nitro"
 
'Scuse me while I fire a howitzer.


It's probably safe...
 
It seems like a lot of gun for not a lot of purpose. From everything I've read of the .700 Nitro, it exist primarily as a curiosity. Too heavy for 90% of people to carry on a hunt, too much recoil for 90% of those people to shoot accurately, and too expensive for 99% of the remaining 1% to afford. Less penetration than any of the other big bores. It probably deals one heck of a blow to elephant on a headshot, and probably will knock one down without hitting the brain, so in almost every way, the .500 nitro outperforms it except in shear size and energy. I would much rather spend $200,000 on a battery of fine doubles between .450/400 to .500 NE calibers than one rifle that is kind of a publicity stunt. It doesn't even have the nostalgia as the older rounds.

All that being said, if someone handed me one and 2 of those $150 rounds, I would totally give it a go.
 
The .700 was no doubt built as a novelty. How many hunters, or PH's, want to lug around a 20lb rifle, that kicks like a muletrain. Not to mention a price tag that rivals a modest house.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,433
Messages
1,576,088
Members
170,513
Latest member
TammaraBel
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top