Thermacell worth taking

Ok, first time hunting Africa here shortly (RSA in August). I know bugs can be an issue. I've already soaked all of our clothes in permethrin but was also wondering if a thermacell would be worth taking as well? We'll be doing waterfowl and typical plains game while we're there. If it's not going to work, I'll just leave it at the house. If it works, I'll just attach it to my belt while hunting. 20 years in the military, so I've got zero issues walking with stuff attached to me.
I've made two safaris in Zimbabwe, one in June and one in August. I wasn't hunting ducks but I never saw a mosquito on either trip. Along with your permethrin clothing treatment (for ticks), you might take a small bottle of 100% DEET. I think you should be good to go without the Thermacell unit.
 
For RSA, I personally would not bother with taking a Thermocell, I did however take one on a hunt in Zimbabwe once, camp was along the Zambezi, it was a big help when sitting around the fire at the end of the day.
 
We saw a few mosquitoes in Kruger last August, they were the anapholes mosquitoes.
Saw flocks of mosquitoes in Mozambique but their thermocell is sitting in burning elephant dung.
Please write a report on your waterfowl hunting when you get back. Shot doves and pigeons in Africa and will make a point to hunt waterfowl sometime.
 
Have had no issues with bugs on any of my trips. Eastern cape in May/June, Limpopo multiple times May-August, Botswana in September, and Namibia April/May. No issues at Victoria Falls multiple times either.

My dad spent the last half of March and most of April at a lodge on the river in the Limpopo, he did get destroyed by mosquitoes.

I think you will be fine with packing some Avon bug spray just in case and leaving the thermacell at home
 
In my experience no need and a waste of space for a Therocell. What is with doing is taking a $5 Walmart head net to keep out Mopani Bees. One of the best things I take
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,185
Members
169,923
Latest member
Krystle556
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top