vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
Ok, I am stuck at home for a few days and dreaming of Africa and hunting. As a collector and appreciator of firearms, these topics also conjure up images of fine firearms (mostly English) steeped in history and class. Thus, I was musing to myself in regard to an "ultimate" collection of big game safari firearms. This is certainly not a "most practical" or "best safari rifle battery" type discussion. You could probably buy a few nice houses for what it would cost to obtain everything on this list so it is anything but practical. Really just a fun daydream from an unrepentant gun collector.

Even though there are magazine rifles here, I am posting this in the Double Rifle Forum as there are many doubles on my list but also in the hopes that other collectors will enjoy commenting or adding. Please feel free to give your thoughts or add to the list or refute why some are here.

Most of these listed are quite special and difficult to obtain. So, if you own any of the below and would post pictures of yours, that would be amazing and very much appreciated by all.

Now, to the list: One main criteria I prefer is prewar originals, English, and generally classic calibers made by their namesake makers. In my opinion, nice engraving is a plus (game scene engraving is ++) on all types. Engraving on the magazine rifles is fairly rare so extra special on those. Also, on the magazine rifles, take-down provisions and peep sights are an extra positive. Having makers cases with any of the below is also an extra positive.

Here goes...

Doubles:
4-Bore Double Rifle - Original Rodda or Holland & Holland or similar
8-Bore Double Rifle - Original Rodda or Holland & Holland or similar
10-Bore Double Rifle - Original Rodda or Holland & Holland or similar
12-Bore Ball and Shot - Original H&H Paradox or Westley Richards Explora
20-Bore Shotgun - Nice original SxS British gun by one of the main makers

.600 NE - Preferably an original WJ Jeffery snap action double
.577 NE - Preferably Holland & Holland Royal or Westley Richards Droplock (750/100 full house loads, 3" case)
.500 NE - Preferably Westley Richards Droplock or other suitable prewar British Double (3" case)
.470 NE - Lang was the originator but the 470 was so prevalent that any top maker is good (Rigby/H&H/WR/etc)
.450 NE - Preferably a J Rigby & Co double (Rising Bite would be most ideal)
.450/400 3" - Preferably made by WJ Jeffery
(optional):
.375 H&H Mag or Flanged - Preferably Holland & Holland Royal (scope options are a plus)
9.3x74R - Nice continental or British Double
Small Bore double made a top maker (provision for scope is a plus here as well)

Magazine Rifles:
.505 Gibbs - Prewar made by George Gibbs
.500 Jeffery - Prewar made by WJ Jeffery
.458 Win Mag - Pre-64 Super Grade African (I know, not classic British but hard to ignore the .458 WM in its original rifle)
.425 WR - Prewar Westley Richards Mauser with drop magazine
.416 Rigby - Prewar J Rigby & Co Magnum Mauser
.404 Jeffery - Prewar WJ Jeffery Mauser
.375 H&H Mag - Prewar Holland & Holland Mauser. Scope mounting provisions would be useful
9.3x62mm - Original Mauser Type A. Scope mounting provisions would be useful
.350 Rigby Mag - Prewar J Rigby & Co. Scope mounting provisions would be a useful
.333 Jeffery - Prewar WJ Jeffery. Scope mounting provisions would be a useful
.318 WR - Prewar Westley Richards. Scope mounting provisions would be a useful
.275 Rigby - Prewar J Rigby & Co. Scope mounting provisions would be a useful
.240 Apex - Prewar Holland & Holland. Scope mounting provisions would be a useful

OK, I know that the above is quite an extensive list but I had fun. What do you guys think?
Thank you!

I think if you found all that in one lifetime and could afford it, you may be the only guy that ever managed to do it, ever. I like your list, you have good taste sir-

Wow, you do dream big. Now I'm waiting for a few of our members to start posting photos with descriptions of what we are seeing.

Very true. Even if you have the funds, there are very few original 4 bore or 600 NE doubles that were ever made so they don't come up all of the time.

Then, on the magazine rifles; an original Gibbs 505, Jeffery 500, and Rigby 416 are extremely hard to come by. While the Rigby 416 is the most common of the three (again "common" being very relative in this instance) it seems to be the one I have seen the least. I am guessing because it is a more broadly useful caliber of the three. Thus, possibly they were used, worn out, and lost to time and/or their owners have preference for them and refuse to sell.

I will start off with one I have posted before. This is a prewar Rigby Rising Bite 470 NE:

13D92B37-2A4F-4DFA-ACAB-6843C3AF9DC7_zpsuvxfadr3.jpg
6042C81F-90D2-4BCF-AF59-085DAA906B69_zpstrl4wq1q.jpg
7727F2EB-A78F-424C-B6E7-0BC07E487037_zpsno48ipej.jpg
E7A896A6-9893-4102-BD40-8115671886E5_zps8mjk4gsb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While you’re having fun, I’d suggest:
- add pre-war 300 H&H magazine rifle, by H&H
- make the 318 WR a take down
- in line with the 458 win mag, add a pre-war Griffin and Howe 30’06 on a Springfield action, with the eponymous scope mount - if you want this forum to buy in, make it a 35 whelen instead….

Ahh. I meant to have the 300 H&H but it got inadvertently left off. The G&H 30-06 is a good one to add too. Thank you!

Whoops- lastly - to add a little diversity to the magazine rifles (as most all of those are likely on a M98 variant), you could consider honorable mentions of:
- a M1903 Mannlicher Schonauer retailed by a British maker…
- a Lee Speed in 303, also retailed by the likes of Westley Richards etc

Those are great additions as well. Maybe a takedown MS in 6.5 retailed by Gibbs (a la WDM Bell)? A Lee Speed by H&H or WR would be very nice

Vette447, if you are trying to make folks jealous of your 470 NE, you can stop now. I already am, what a beautiful rifle. Can't wait to see what some of the other guys have. BTW that list of yours is pretty impressive. Too bad it would take several lifetimes as well as a "king's ransom" to acquire them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross