The spiral slam and a buffalo on one hunt? What is a spiral slam?

Attachments

• world hunting award.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 211
Last edited:
I heard it was the free-range nine in their indigenous habitats. Very big challenge. One was nearly the end for me. I have six and another booked. Not sure if I will get them all or not but they are so beautiful.

Nope Hank. In this modern "diverse" world of ours, I think you are only a third of the way there. :( I mean, how can you look yourself in the mirror without acknowledging all the work still to do? How many of the kudu do you have.? The Western Greater Kudu requires a pretty significant expedition alone. And all those sitatunga? I believe there are six at last count and maybe at least five can be hunted - though three in particular, not without some effort. No, I'll congratulate you upon achieving a solid baseline, but you still have lots of work to do. ;):whistle:
You sound like my wife @Red Leg - though not about my hunting!

Is there any other way to take this than as a challenge? Time to start planning . . . maybe I start with the bushbuck . . . not sure I have enough years left in me though . . . and I want to be around to collect on our bet!

@Shootist43 I think completing a successful multiple spiral horned hunt is an accomplishment that should feel good! In my yearly hunts when I return to my childhood home in Montana I am very happy to fill three tags: elk, antelope and mule deer. Friends and family also easily see that as a good accomplishment. Now adding a bighorn sheep to that list, or a moose, or a mountain goat... that makes it much more difficult.
I can now better grasp that the full spiral slam that @Hank2211 is planning is a monumental task. @Red Leg will be buying him a drink that starts with a name like Louis...

You sound like my wife @Red Leg - though not about my hunting!

Is there any other way to take this than as a challenge? Time to start planning . . . maybe I start with the bushbuck . . . not sure I have enough years left in me though . . . and I want to be around to collect on our bet!
I have not forgotten!

Tra3, I didn't mean to imply that my "spiral slam" was completely successful. I was only able to take two of the four animals. A Gold Medal Eland and a gold Medal Nyala. I wasn't expecting those but they are what Africa offered. The number one animal on my list was a Kudu over 55 inches. I saw several that the PH said would be 52-53 but that's all. I told him that I'd prefer to keep looking. That is what I did for the rest of the hunt, just look. If and when I ever get a Kudu I want it to be a nice one. Two weeks after I returned home a hunter took a 59" Kudu from the area I'd been hunting.

@Hank2211 I'm feeling a bit ornery tonight - or maybe its the Tanqueray. :whistle:

I believe you should take @Red Leg up on his offer with some stipulation. There really is no need for your PH to have a gun bearer. You could have your own at an observer rate! Of course, we're not quite sure whether he could keep with you but it could be fun.
I can see each evening around the campfire, @Red Leg is serving you your Louis XIII brandy while you and the PH sit by the campfire :A Camping: reminiscing about the day and the close calls on getting your 11" bush buck. (y) The PH looks at you with regret on his face, "You know. If the gun bearer hadn't banged the scope against the truck, I'm sure you would have had him. We were that close to getting number 10 of 29 (or is it 48, or 79 or....). I suppose the mud he got stuck in the barrel didn't help a whole lot either!"

I can't thank both of you enough for the information, discourse and insights you provide on our forum. I would truly enjoy sharing a campfire, cigar and some brandy some time.

John

@Hank2211 I'm feeling a bit ornery tonight - or maybe its the Tanqueray. :whistle:

I believe you should take @Red Leg up on his offer with some stipulation. There really is no need for your PH to have a gun bearer. You could have your own at an observer rate! Of course, we're not quite sure whether he could keep with you but it could be fun.
I can see each evening around the campfire, @Red Leg is serving you your Louis XIII brandy while you and the PH sit by the campfire :A Camping: reminiscing about the day and the close calls on getting your 11" bush buck. (y) The PH looks at you with regret on his face, "You know. If the gun bearer hadn't banged the scope against the truck, I'm sure you would have had him. We were that close to getting number 10 of 29 (or is it 48, or 79 or....). I suppose the mud he got stuck in the barrel didn't help a whole lot either!"

I can't thank both of you enough for the information, discourse and insights you provide on our forum. I would truly enjoy sharing a campfire, cigar and some brandy some time.

John
That could happen - though I can already sense (taste is too crude a word) that Macallan 25 - exquisite - and I feel far better about it every passing day.

And yes, that would be a great campfire indeed. Shame about the scope though - finicky things.

That could happen - though I can already sense (taste is too crude a word) that Macallan 25 - exquisite - and I feel far better about it every passing day.

And yes, that would be a great campfire indeed. Shame about the scope though - finicky things.
I want to get back to the spiral horns . . . but I find myself getting bogged down in the scotch thing. I'd have thought a bottle of Pappy would be a far more fitting tribute. My guess is that since you know you won't win, it wasn't a big deal.;)

Do we know, what is the most complete spiral horn slam ever completed? Or who was most accomplished hunter in spiral slam, with how many species and subsepcies? Do these records exists somewhere?

I do not know.

Off topic, but I’ve heard about those safari club awards where they give a medal to the so-called Hunter of the Year, and I’ve always wondered why some kid with a .22 keeping the rabbits in check can’t be nominated - or some of the tattered and weary old guys who back in their youth killed buffalo with just a spear and borndok (woomera). I think the answer has something to do with cash.

Do we know, what is the most complete spiral horn slam ever completed? Or who was most accomplished hunter in spiral slam, with how many species and subsepcies? Do these records exists somewhere?

José Madrazo, the 2019 Weatherby Award winner with 391 different species has 21 different spiral horns.

And to answer @BenKK , yes it does have something to do with with cash.

32087406_2010412515954938_7440154761480896512_n.jpg

Here is one list of all the spiral-horned antelopes of Africa. This gives 26 species, 25 of which are huntable in the wild (although the Kenya bongo can be hunted in Texas). I remember reading that in 2015 Rick Warren (owner of the Warren Wildlife Gallery) was the 6th person to hunt all 25 in the wild.

Attachments

• 32087406_2010412515954938_7440154761480896512_n.jpg
    32087406_2010412515954938_7440154761480896512_n.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking for a new challenge since I finished the nine last year . . . I'm thinking that the 8 bushbuck might be interesting . . .

I have been looking for a new challenge since I finished the nine last year . . . I'm thinking that the 8 bushbuck might be interesting . . .

You and @ActionBob should make a bet on who gets that done first. He has his eye on them as well.

Is he a scotch drinker too? I find them to be pretty easy marks . . .:sneaky:

John

Heck! If that booking came across my desk, I would comp the observer, just for the privilege of sitting around that campfire too :)

John
What offer?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.