The small bore safari

Africa is a special place. It Deserves our respect and not taking the appropriate firearms is just not respectful to the animals or the safari. A .22-250 has no place for a client in Africa.
growing up I had two brothers who shot deer with a .22-250. I was never a fan and am not to this day. It’s a coyote round IMO at best.
PG

Africa is a special place. It Deserves our respect and not taking the appropriate firearms is just not respectful to the animals or the safari. A .22-250 has no place for a client in Africa.
growing up I had two brothers who shot deer with a .22-250. I was never a fan and am not to this day. It’s a coyote round IMO at best.
PG
Yip Yote gun......

Harry Selby indicated regret at even trying to use a 220 Swift- an equivalent of the 22-250.
Wrong combination of everything with a very narrow application for correct use.

A friend’s son started hunting with a .22-250. (Not my decision!) I’ve seen him take 3 pronghorn antelope and 3 deer with that caliber. It is a terribly destructive round that is subject to significant wind drift as well as deflection from small branches, etc. I wouldn’t recommend it’s use in Africa.
A very experienced hunter could do well with one. But that same hunter wouldn’t like choose that caliber because hunting is never perfect conditions.
A friend of mine is a ranch foreman, he uses a .22-250 for everything, including elk. But he lives on the ranch and can be picky about his shooting. This includes the kind of “picky” that requires easy access to the animal to retrieve it with the tractor.

Since I go to Africa, I come with a 3-gun-battery.

A DG rifle, a PG rifle and the so called "kitchen gun".

It is an old Krieghoff Drilling in 20 ga./20 ga. and .222 Remington rifle barrel with a little 1,5-6x Zeiss Diavari scope.

There are so many edible birds and other small animals to hunt.

And, indeed, it is a coyote/jackal gun and a good help against univited guests in the camp.

Baboones, snakes, the list is endless.

When ever I come home and count the spent ammunition, the little gun is on top of the list.

HWL

I have seen lots of Springbuck hunted with a 22-250.
Late season the winds pick up and you will be better off with a .270.
This is when you gut shot them.

Warthog and Impala deserve better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!