The Right Accessories for an African Hunt

On the subject of shooting from the jeep, my outfitter encouraged me to do it at every opportunity. His reasoning was that one can shoot steadier with arms braced on a window sill than on shooting sticks. Fewer wounded animals, better ethics.

Also, the client hunter doesn't need to get out of the cab at all, thus avoiding such uncomfortable things like rain, sun burn, dust, bug bites, and chilly winds. Thereby leaving you even greater energy for shooting more game. From the truck, if possible.

o_O..........:E Eek:............not sure if you are having a joke or not?............:E Head Scratch:

I can see using the vehicle for a support, but not from inside.
"Uncomfortable things" .... Isn't that what hunting is about? Being in nature and taking it in? If you can't handle some rain or bugs or a short jaunt in nippy winds, maybe you should find a different hobby. Not a one of those thing will kill ya.

I personally won't do any shooting from the inside of a truck

It's nice to know we are part of the 15%. Hunted four different camps in SA and never fired a shot from the truck or a blind
Same here. Near the Last evening of hunt last year and hadn't found my gemsbok. 3 step in road but we got out and set up sticks and shot it. I don't want to shoot from truck.

If a person is physically impaired, I am totally fine with them shooting from a vehicle and wouldn't want anything to take away from a person who perhaps is in a wheelchair and wants to go on a hunting safari.

Each time I go I take less gear, and I carry less on my person. As memory goes this last time I kept in pockets:
Avon skin so soft with DEET &sunscreen
Pocket camera
Headnet (anti-mosquito)
Wet-wipes and Kleenex
Hand sanitizer

On belt (in pouches)
Flashlight
Multi-tool
Moleskin
Small first-aid kit
Spare bootlaces

I also wore a Mission Multi-cool around my neck. Didn't wet it down until it got hot around noon, helped with keeping warm in mornings, and could put it over face to help with dust while riding in the back of the truck.

The mosquito headnet was something I brought special for Cameroon, and so was a Camelbak. As for a knife, the small blade on a multi-tool should be all a client hunter should need, like buttering bread during a field lunch.

A pair of Crocs intended for camp/shower shoes came in handy for some unexpected wading during some river hunting.

OK, I know I've posted this checklist before, but for the sake of newcomers and anyone else that enjoys the humor of this (BTW, this is from the 1960s movie, "Dr. Strangelove". Funny, funny movie from the cold war era. Another scene at the end of the movie has Major King Kong (Slim Pickens) riding the H-bomb like a bucking bronco.

Just having some fun with that 85 percent comment. My PH never suggested I shoot from the truck, and I never did so.

I thought it was one of the best posts ever. (y)

@spike.t i sadly assure you he is not kidding. This is why RSA has a bad name.

Read post 84. He was kidding.

Much like lawyers and insurance salesman, any bad name comes from the few, not the many.

Read post 84. He was kidding.

Much like lawyers and insurance salesman, any bad name comes from the few, not the many.
Shoulda known, it was @RolandtheHeadless jerking our chains. Well played Roland, well played.

85% shooting from a truck. It is these statements that gives RSA safaris a bad name.

Man I wish..... 90+% of all my shots were looooong spot & stalk. Every now & then a truck shot would be nice!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaribelSha

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg