The mythical single rifle

Ruger No.1 in a .375 H&H & open sights. Attractive to the eye, reliable, accurate & enough stinging power for a broad list of creatures.

Well I have shot more african plains game with 9.3x62 bolt gun and 9.3x74 double/single shots than any other caliber. So it would be a 9.3 of some kind. The 300 H&H is also in the running.

This question seems to pop up every so often in various iterations. For the criteria given, I would be tempted to go with a 300 win mag. And a 7x57 would be perfectly fine also... But honestly a 30-06 might be the best choice. And if I was going to have only one, I'd be very tempted to make that in a Rigby Highland Stalker.

1 rifle for everything
I'll catch flack, but I'd choose the Browning x-bolt stainless synthetic in 375hh with a leupold vx3 2.5-8x36mm. 8 1/4 pounds ready to hunt --- can get wet, light enough to carry all day anywhere, and just heavy enough to take the recoil.

When I bought my H&H falling block, scoped, in .375 Flanged Magnum I had that very same thought in mind. It's been a few years, and I have since taken all my animals with it--from Virginia whitetail to African game. A rifle like that *is* the ultimate all-arounder. Some may raise an eyebrow at it being a single shot, but I have never missed the supposed advantage that a bolt-action would give me over it. Perhaps--no, certainly I've been lucky.

I also bought it thinking that it would be the last rifle I'd ever need. Four rifles later, I can still attest that yes, that was the last rifle I, um, needed. *grin*

Ok then let me narrow it down a bit. Hunting for “medium game” so let’s say from American whitetail/impala sized animals all the way up to a eland/moose sized animal
@Nick435
For me that's easy. A properly loaded 35 Whelen loaded with a 225gn controlled expansion bullet like the Woodleigh, accubonds, Barnes or Atomic29.
Loaded to 2,900fps they will handle everything you mention and not kick you silly.
Bob

This question seems to pop up every so often in various iterations. For the criteria given, I would be tempted to go with a 300 win mag. And a 7x57 would be perfectly fine also... But honestly a 30-06 might be the best choice. And if I was going to have only one, I'd be very tempted to make that in a Rigby Highland Stalker.
@ActionBob
What is your darling wifes thought on that. Now you are married remember
Rule one
Wife is always right
Rule two
If wife is wrong refer to Rule 1.
I'm sure Gina would have a hard time picking just one with so many to choose from.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

you're going to get a million answers to this one. But if I had to choose one rifle to hunt with (I am going to be reprimanded severely for this... I just know it). I would say my 6.5x55. I LOVE that rifle and shoot it exceptionally well. With a really well made 140-160 grain bullet and keeping ranges under 200 yards (which really isn't hard and is the fun part of hunting), I think it would fit the bill nicely. Picking your shots with this rifle would be an absolute necessity, but the more I use mine, the more I trust that it will do the job on just about anything in the lower 48.

It would be a tough call between that and my .375 Ruger though. They both do very nicely.

The 6.5x55 would be really light on Eland. Moose would be ok. But yeah there is quite a gap between an 1,800 lb eland and a 900-1000 lb moose. Unless you're talking Yukon.

Last edited:
I would opt for a Winchester Model 70 or CZ 550 in .375 H&H. (even higher quality, if affordable)

I'd rather shoot a rabbit in the head with a .375 H&H, than try to stop a Cape Buffalo with a .22 LR.

If I truly was limited to one gun I’d want a drilling, 16x16 over one of the 7mms. A .22 insert would also be a must.
Got one;) 22 Hornet in the full length insert.

@Nick435
For me that's easy. A properly loaded 35 Whelen loaded with a 225gn controlled expansion bullet like the Woodleigh, accubonds, Barnes or Atomic29.
Loaded to 2,900fps they will handle everything you mention and not kick you silly.
Bob
Hi Bob: I gotta jump on the .35 Whelen band wagon - I know the caliber will stretch across my afield needs & perform + I’m a retired military man & who doesn’t luv a good backstory on the development: Col Townsend Whelen.

Because you who know me would expect nothing less...

Blaser R8 375H&H

One rifle? Over/under, top barrel 375 H&H, bottom barrel 12ga w/interchangeable chokes.
Have you ever had/seen one?

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg