The Mother of all Double Rifles

Take care of yourself , your mom and family , Cal. God bless.
Hoss
I was at the range with Cal today, specifically to shoot the 4 bore.
Unfortunately I had a 450 NE double on me, then 2 shots later, I was done.
Maybe next weekend

There's a guy in a youtube video with a 4-bore on a buff hunt in Tanzania. It's been some time since I've seen the video, but seems like he had a custom shop in Houston make it for him.

Scroll forward to about the 10 minute mark and you'll see a 4 bore next to a couple other "big" DG cartridges.

This is a Ken Owen 4 Bore DR. I believe he made 8 of them.
Ken is also a wizard with tuning the Sabatti/Cabela's Double rifles. He brought my 500 NE back from the dead.

Ken is also a wizard with tuning the Sabatti/Cabela's Double rifles. He brought my 500 NE back from the dead.

Yep. That's the dinosaur / Mastadon gun. It's been for sale on and off again for a long time. Note that it was carried by a porter (all 26 pounds of it) and brought on the trip, but I don't think it was actually used. Could be wrong.

I believe the recipe is a 2000gr projectile with 1000gr of blue dot as the charge. At 26lbs it still produces an unbearable amount of recoil, 150-160 foot pounds of felt recoil? My puny 470NE whoops me pretty good at 68 foot pounds.

Yep. That's the dinosaur / Mastadon gun. It's been for sale on and off again for a long time. Note that it was carried by a porter (all 26 pounds of it) and brought on the trip, but I don't think it was actually used. Could be wrong.

I believe the recipe is a 2000gr projectile with 1000gr of blue dot as the charge. At 26lbs it still produces an unbearable amount of recoil, 150-160 foot pounds of felt recoil? My puny 470NE whoops me pretty good at 68 foot pounds.
I believe Ken said 115 grains of BlueDot. I inquired about this behemoth when he serviced my Sabatti.
The youtube video never showed the guy in the posted video firing it but there is another guy with one that fires several checking zero then shoots a buffalo but that part is not shown or wasn't filmed. I really wanted to see the buffalo react.
I think there are two other videos of guys touching off a round at a range. Not sure any want to fire a second barrel. :(

I believe Ken said 115 grains of BlueDot. I inquired about this behemoth when he serviced my Sabatti.
The youtube video never showed the guy in the posted video firing it but there is another guy with one that fires several checking zero then shoots a buffalo but that part is not shown or wasn't filmed. I really wanted to see the buffalo react.
I think there are two other videos of guys touching off a round at a range. Not sure any want to fire a second barrel. :(
Shit yeah, I almost choked when I read 1000gr of BlueDot !!!

Thank you for correcting me. 115gr blue dot over 2000gr bullet.

One of our members here uses one. @SAFARIKIDD I believe you have quite a bit of experience with this.

That’s just a plain impressive firearm. I can appreciate the history and workmanship but don’t want to pull the trigger lol

This is not a recomendation;
About a year and a half ago I had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff on my shooting shoulder. I am a righty. I tried shooting lefty but found my right eye soon fought for primary view. It was strange but got me out of the house and on the range.
After several rounds of PT it was probably 60-70% of full ROM. After being fully released by the Doctor I started shooting my 19 pound 300 WM and 7.62x54R along with some AR 223. Some months after that seemed normal I addressed my Sabatti 500 NE with cast lead reduced loads. 400 to 530gr bullets @ 1350 to 1900 fps was the goal. I found a 530gr gas checked Linebaugh bullet at 2245 fps is little different then a full house 570gr DGS at 2080 fps. I bought front sight inserts from New England Custom Gun to correct the vertical. This required more load development and shooting. Just no end to more shooting. :)
Some months later I happened to notice my RC repaired shoulder was probably 90 to 95% ROM.
Man alive! Had I know this was going to happen I would have used all those $25 co-pays to buy more ammo and reloading supplies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!