The ideal retreat home

This is where I’d like to be.
Fairly remote area of Lake Tanganyika, a special place for me and my family.

unfortunately I can’t/don’t spend the time there that I’d like.
View attachment 523596

water is essential for me!
Nice and warm there, no snow!

Ultimate retreat home?:

1.) In USA
2.) In growing agriculture range zone 4 to zone 7
3.) Has its own woods, water, and agriculture
4.) Has abundant game and fish
5.) Isn’t within 250 miles of a nuclear missile base
6.) Is near a major interstate
7.) Has fireplaces and ample hardwoods
8.) Low taxes
9.) Has high speed telecommunications
10.) Has an orchard and garden
11.) Has no lawn to mow
12.) Inconvenient to trasspassers

I think I sorted all that out, the only thing it is not is off-grid, otherwise it would be a sustainable place to live under virtually any circumstance.
View attachment 523580
View attachment 523577
View attachment 523578
View attachment 523579
Without asking for personal information what state?

One important criteria for me is the retreat home should be within a couple hours of the primary residence. Something far away would get used less often.

I retired to a farm and live in my retreat home. Why drive to your dream retreat when you can just live in it.

Ultimate retreat home?:

1.) In USA
2.) In growing agriculture range zone 4 to zone 7
3.) Has its own woods, water, and agriculture
4.) Has abundant game and fish
5.) Isn’t within 250 miles of a nuclear missile base
6.) Is near a major interstate
7.) Has fireplaces and ample hardwoods
8.) Low taxes
9.) Has high speed telecommunications
10.) Has an orchard and garden
11.) Has no lawn to mow
12.) Inconvenient to trasspassers

These are more the things that pop up in my mind when thinking about a retreat home. The exact styling and looks of it will be very different from one person to the next. But most will have the same characteristics as in this list.

I know we have spoken about this before @rookhawk , but would you or anyone else for that matter, have other countries in mind than only the US?

I retired to a farm and live in my retreat home. Why drive to your dream retreat when you can just live in it.
Once I retire (about 30 years from now) I do intend to live full time in my retreat home.

It would however be splendid, if I could already find the place, start investing into it and spend holidays there with the family.

Well, my place to retire will be my countryhouse in Umbria, just in front of the little town of Todi. There are rows of vines and olive trees all around, and the rolling hills are home of roe deers and wild boars, and good sort of upland game. Sure is not a home "in the wild", but it's a place I love, it's quite and green, and is the place in which I grew up. Sure I also plan to buy a slice of wood in Canada and build a log cabin there, close to the property of my great friend Steve, and stay there for 2 or 3 months a year. But my buen retiro will be as said, my stone tower house.
20180810_195346.jpg

For privacy reasons, I have no pictures but I seem to spend quite a bit of time in my home-away-from-home and it’s quite similar to this one…only not as comfy.

51CAF89E-6461-427E-AE00-46FDCB5AF93F.jpeg

These are more the things that pop up in my mind when thinking about a retreat home. The exact styling and looks of it will be very different from one person to the next. But most will have the same characteristics as in this list.

I know we have spoken about this before @rookhawk , but would you or anyone else for that matter, have other countries in mind than only the US?
I looked at Canada and Spain. Heard the real estate market in Spain was reasonable but I couldn’t find much for existing homes with bigger rooms for taxidermy.

A modest house in or near the mountains of Alberta or British Columbia has been discussed by my wife and I. It would be a great place to have some trophies displayed that are not allowed in the USA but are allowed in Canada, such as polar bear, elephant ivory, etc…. but then COVID came along and Canada was closed for a long time. Not sure now!?! We also enjoy alpine skiing so that’s another reason to think about it.
I’m surprised by this, as I’d assume Alberta would be just a colder version of Colorado? I’ve never spent time in Colorado though to know for sure.

My ideal retreat home would probably be somewhere in Belize, 40 acres or more, a couple miles inland with river frontage.

I looked at Canada and Spain. Heard the real estate market in Spain was reasonable but I couldn’t find much for existing homes with bigger rooms for taxidermy.
I'm content in my little 2000 square foot 3 bedroom house in a small town. I have all the amenities, a great workshop, good size lot and no grass. My landscaping is rock and gravel. I am about 20 minutes from a large lake in the woods, skiing, hiking, all the outdoor activities. It snows but usually melts off by the end of day. Doesn't get too hot for very long in the summer and NO bugs, snakes or humidity.

If I want to hunt I am about an hour from the airport from which I can travel the world. I grew up off the grid so I am not really interested in resuming that lifestyle. I have built and lived in some large and luxurious mansions which fulfilled a purpose at the time but this is home.

I’m surprised by this, as I’d assume Alberta would be just a colder version of Colorado? I’ve never spent time in Colorado though to know for sure.
We weren’t looking for heat in the winter but rather open CITES importation and somewhere to go summer or winter. I can’t handle 120 degree heat in the summer so a place in the desert southwest would only be comfortable for me December through March. Winters here near Fort Collins, CO are quite mild compared to the Dakotas where I grew up.

The Canadian Wildlife Service allows imports of any animal with a CITES export permit from the country hunted. Hopefully they don’t start following the UK about import bans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross