The ideal retreat home

Looks like friends' places along the S. Indian River (top.) Bottom is better! GF & fam just back from Paradise Island, but I like more private & secluded.
Yep Indian River, the island in the Abaco is on one of the cays (keys) only a few houses. You need to boat for food and other necessities. Very laid back and wonderful blue water offshore fishing.

Reactions: P-J
Very nice. Does it get a tad muddy driving in at times?? 'Looks like farm lanes at home (where I've pulled various 4wd vehicles out with tractors at times-mud and snow!)
Its actually pretty rocky ground so its not too bad. There was one soft spot in a valley I got a few loads of pit-run hauled into but that was it. Got stuck in snow drifts though a few time this winter haha!

I like where I live, a little farming town of 500 people where my family have lived for several generations, ever since the wild land was settled. I have no desire to move. But I like different activities at different times of the year. So I have two bush camps, one is for fishing and summer activities, one is for hunting and fall / winter activities.

The summer place is a simple little log cabin in North-Central British Columbia, way off grid, and about 90 KM from the nearest town. It's a two day drive and 1700 KM from our home, so when we go there we stay for several weeks. Native Rainbow Trout in the big 100km long x 2km wide lake out front any time we want fresh fish, and there are lots of game animals on our 15 hectares and in the surrounding Crown forest land, several more trout lakes and some good salmon & steelhead rivers within a half hour drive. We spend June-August there. It's wild country, with bears in the yard nearly every week and sometimes wolverine and cougars and wolves which hunt the resident moose and deer. But we don't usually hunt there.

Our hunting camp is a three hour drive from home, so OK for a weekend or a week as we wish. We have a basic on-grid cabin that has two bedrooms and a couple of common rooms, and my brother has his own cabin right alongside. We have about 500 hectares of our own land, which adjoins a large public forest reserve. No fish there but lots of Elk, Moose, bears, whitetails, wolves, and grouse / waterfowl. A friend runs a trapline to the north, so we have sometimes helped check traps and such as a winter activity.
IMG_8018.jpeg
IMG_4762.jpeg
francoisdock.jpeg
P1000032.jpeg

Last edited:
I like where I live, a little farming town of 500 people where my family have lived for several generations, ever since the wild land was settled. I have no desire to move. But I like different activities at different times of the year. So I have two bush camps, one is for fishing and summer activities, one is for hunting and fall / winter activities.

The summer place is a simple little log cabin in North-Central British Columbia, way off grid, and about 90 KM from the nearest town. It's a two day drive and 1700 KM from our home, so when we go there we stay for several weeks. Native Rainbow Trout in the big 100km long x 2km wide lake out front any time we want fresh fish, and there are lots of game animals on our 15 hectares and in the surrounding Crown forest land, several more trout lakes and some good salmon & steelhead rivers within a half hour drive. We spend June-August there. It's wild country, with bears in the yard nearly every week and sometimes wolverine and cougars and wolves which hunt the resident moose and deer. But we don't usually hunt there.

Our hunting camp is a three hour drive from home, so OK for a weekend or a week as we wish. We have a basic on-grid cabin that has two bedrooms and a couple of common rooms, and my brother has his own cabin right alongside. We have about 500 hectares of our own land, which adjoins a large public forest reserve. No fish there but lots of Elk, Moose, bears, whitetails, wolves, and grouse / waterfowl. A friend runs a trapline to the north, so we have sometimes helped check traps and such as a winter activity. View attachment 525067View attachment 525063View attachment 525065View attachment 525066
That looks perfect, even the dog fits well!

I should have said in my first post, thanks Kevin for your very interesting topics and for stimulating discussions on this forum that benefit all. We members have so much to share, and so much to learn from each other. Your posts and inquiries are an inspiration!

In a perfect world, I would spend about 5 months at Malangani Camp in the BVC. I remember hearing the story about some German guy owning it, thinking around 30K acres. John Sharp had exclusive rights to hunt it for years. Anyone who has been there knows the setting. Fishing for giant bass out the front door and hunt game at will.
Hunted out of Joa camp in the Okavango back in the late 80's. Didn't realize till later in life that that camp was as close to paradise there is on earth. I 'm betting on heaven being like Joa camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuddyBrode

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt